What would it be like with no emotions?

169 posts

Flag Post

Really it would be virtually impossible, You would be sad, but sad is an emotion. And you would feel slightly depressed, but depression is an emotion.

What do you think?

Flag Post

it would be like the film equilibrium

Flag Post

I’m not sure. Sociopaths do not feel love or guilt, though I’m not sure about other emotions. This is a very intriguing topic, I’m hoping someone extremely intelligent will post something…intellectual.

Flag Post

If you go to the extreme and say no emotion whatsoever, you would feel absolutely no desire at all, no desire would mean everyone would do what’s best for them, and nothing else. The big question here is: would we only do what is best for us as individuals, or whats best for society? Could we even come to the conclusion that the planet is better off without us? We are living in an overpopulated world, and with no emotion I see the possibility that people in charge could see killing off 95% of the worlds population as a solution nearly all our problems.

Is it even possible that an emotionless (I’m guessing you mean instinct-free also) society, or race, would have no desire to survive and deem reproduction to be of less importance, and become extinct within one generation. These are the extreme cases I could think of.

Flag Post

Interesting. I think the alternative to emotion is pure instinct.

Imagine a society of robots. When a robot is being destroyed because he would do a better job being recycled into a better robot, would it try to escape or fight back? Probably not.

But it can have instinct. The robot can be programmed to avoid getting destroyed and run away, or fight back. It can learn that his fellow robots are now no longer allies. This could save it, so it can procreate later.

If it had emotions, it would feel rejected and run away or fight back, which gives it a higher chance of survival. As you can see this has the exact same effect. Maybe it’s the same thing, but we wouldn’t like to believe that, because it would mean our emotions have the same value as the instinct of insects or the programming of robots.

My conclusion: a society without emotions would eventually evolve to have emotions/instinct anyway.

Flag Post

Really it would be virtually impossible

It wouldn’t be virtually impossible, it would be impossible. Emotions serve a vital role in the functioning of humans.

Sociopaths do not feel love or guilt, though I’m not sure about other emotions.

They do, just not to the degree others do. The most violent sociopaths have correspondingly lower emotional responses (hence the reason they are eventually caught).

would we only do what is best for us as individuals, or whats best for society?

We would sit in place until we die.

I think the alternative to emotion is pure instinct.

Most human emotions are simply derivations of two basic instincts. Removing ‘all emotion’ would mean no ‘instincts’ as it were.

Flag Post

It would be as if we are robots. I would say that noone would want to play games, watch tv, play tag, or do anything for that matter. Humans would be down to doing things that are necessary to live.
Work,Eat,Sleep,Drink. That is about it.

Flag Post

I think the answer wholly depends on the definition of emotion you use.

Flag Post
Originally posted by woodythedon:

I think the answer wholly depends on the definition of emotion you use.

By the definition understood by biologists and psychologists, it would result in death.

Flag Post

Why is that? Emotion is not the same as intelligence, we would still feel pain. Pain associated with vital needs like hunger would be hard to ignore, no matter how free of emotion you are you would still know the importance of eating…

Flag Post

By the definition understood by biologists and psychologists, it would result in death.

Can I ask what the general accepted definition of ‘emotion’ is out of curiosity?

Flag Post

Well here is a fictional character that had no emotions
Sai from naruto

Flag Post

Without emotions I’d bet we’d effectively be machines.

Efficiency would be our highest priority, and we’d be dropping off anything artistic or creative. It would be rather bland in my opinion.

Equilibrium is a pretty good example, I recommend everyone see it, though I’m a horrible judge of what a good movie is =\

Flag Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcans

Flag Post
Originally posted by Serghi:

Why is that? Emotion is not the same as intelligence, we would still feel pain. Pain associated with vital needs like hunger would be hard to ignore, no matter how free of emotion you are you would still know the importance of eating…

Can I ask what the general accepted definition of ‘emotion’ is out of curiosity?

Pain is an emotion, and shares a similar root to many others.

Let me explain a bit about what emotions are and how they develop.

Emotions begin in humans as two basic arousal states: Attraction to pleasant stimuli, and repulsion from unpleasant stimuli.

Over time, these two basic emotional states diverge into a number of more specific emotional states. By infancy and toddlerhood a number are visible; happiness, interest, surprise, fear, anger, sadness, and disgust.

Now let us go back to the root. If the two basic arousal states are not present or abnormal, the child will face difficulties in critical interactions, including the desire to eat (a manifestation of the former state) and increase in harmful behavior (a lack of repulsion from danger). Because of this, someone ‘without any emotion’ is unlikely to survive past infancy without considerable outside support, and will never be able to function as an independent individual. ‘Higher’ emotional states do not even factor into it.

In short, a person with no emotions would in effect be profoundly retarded by standard application of the term.

Flag Post

Impossible. You would have to find a way around feeling apathetic.

Flag Post

Imagine if you were Emotionless, Terrible…

Flag Post

well, it would feel like your dead…

Flag Post

Kakkoii, apathy isn’t an emotion. It, quite literally, means “no feeling” (usually applied to somebody being apathetic about a particular something, and never totally emotionless). Not having emotions would be the ultimate apathy, or lack of feeling.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:
Originally posted by Serghi:

Pain is an emotion, and shares a similar root to many others.

Let me explain a bit about what emotions are and how they develop.

Emotions begin in humans as two basic arousal states: Attraction to pleasant stimuli, and repulsion from unpleasant stimuli.

Over time, these two basic emotional states diverge into a number of more specific emotional states. By infancy and toddlerhood a number are visible; happiness, interest, surprise, fear, anger, sadness, and disgust.

Now let us go back to the root. If the two basic arousal states are not present or abnormal, the child will face difficulties in critical interactions, including the desire to eat (a manifestation of the former state) and increase in harmful behavior (a lack of repulsion from danger). Because of this, someone ‘without any emotion’ is unlikely to survive past infancy without considerable outside support, and will never be able to function as an independent individual. ‘Higher’ emotional states do not even factor into it.

In short, a person with no emotions would in effect be profoundly retarded by standard application of the term.

Because this is obviously what happens to single celled lifeforms with none of the above mentioned things.

Flag Post

It would be very depressing, oh wait that’s an emotion….
Very dull, everyone would be like robots, very boring

Flag Post

Eyedol, single cell life forms don’t require any kind of motivation to do anything. They are simply molecules interacting with other molecules on a small scale.

I suppose next you will be arguing about how C bonds with an O2 atom despite not having any motivation to do so, or why gravity works despite most objects not having any feelings about exerting energy to pull other objects in.

Flag Post

I can tell you! A doctor once ‘spiked’ me on the drug Haldol giving me triple the max dose to calm me down in the psyc ward.

I had NO emotion and walked up and down the halls like a zombie picking my nails.

Real fun.

Flag Post

Real fun.

I doubt you were feeling like you were having fun.

Flag Post

That is the point – I was in the hospital on doctors orders ( for 30 days ) and I could not leave even if I wanted to. I felt nothing when I was juiced up.