What would it be like with no emotions? page 4

169 posts

Flag Post

How can you get normal emotions? It’s not like you can compare what each person feels.

Why not?

You don’t have to feel what everyone else feels for it to be an emotion.

If the term does not have a basis in some standard, then it is worthless.

Flag Post

Couldn’t the standard be your own?

And because there’s no way to put your mind into someone else’s and judge if it feels the exact same way.

Flag Post

There are still ways to compare, they just wouldn’t be “perfect”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Syneil:

There are still ways to compare, they just wouldn’t be “perfect”.

Exactly.

Flag Post

And what method would be perfect? Experiences are recalled and reported differently depending on the surrounding context of the experience, so not even access to the very qualia of another would be “perfect”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

Pain isn’t an emotion.

According to a number of scientific standards it is.

Physical pain is not an emotion, just like Ferret mentioned that hunger is not. It can generate or alter emotions though.

Flag Post

And what method would be perfect? Experiences are recalled and reported differently depending on the surrounding context of the experience, so not even access to the very qualia of another would be “perfect”.

Again, exactly.

Flag Post

I seem to have misunderstood the side you’re arguing then.

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkfrogger:

I disagree with this statement, as to my understanding pain is a reaction to stimuli, to which your body processes as pain

Every emotion is a reaction to stimuli.

Are we talking about physical pain or mental pain?

Every emotion.

Physical pain isn’t an emotion.

Flag Post

Some emotional psychologists, such as Klaus Scherer, argue that emotions are just a sub-set of “affective-states”, which includes things like pain and pleasure. I haven’t been able to find a reference for a psychologist saying “pain is an emotion”.

Flag Post

like pain and pleasure

some people want pain for pleasure, emotions are relative to the subject

Flag Post

so?

Flag Post

Some emotional psychologists, such as Klaus Scherer, argue that emotions are just a sub-set of “affective-states”, which includes things like pain and pleasure. I haven’t been able to find a reference for a psychologist saying “pain is an emotion”.

You mean like the one I already cited?

An unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage.

It is unquestionably a sensation in a part or parts of the body, but it is also always unpleasant and therefore also an emotional experience.

IASP

Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Pain isn’t an emotion.

According to a number of scientific standards it is.

Physical pain is not an emotion, just like Ferret mentioned that hunger is not. It can generate or alter emotions though.

Define emotion then.

I will cite a few definitions:

the affective aspect of consciousness : feeling b: a state of feeling c: a conscious mental reaction (as anger or fear) subjectively experienced as strong feeling usually directed toward a specific object and typically accompanied by physiological and behavioral changes in the body

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The emotions are generally understood as representing a synthesis of subjective experience, expressive behaviour, and neurochemical activity.

Encyclopedia Britannica.

Neither of these preclude pain from being an emotion.

Here are a few articles that support the idea of pain as an emotion:

Pain and Emotion: Relationship Revisited
Pain and Negative Emotion: Towards an Interdisciplinary Synthesis

etc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkfrogger

It is, It hurts, Which can make you cry or sad. Which are emotions!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

I would be SaintAjora, mindlessly quoting bullshit stats all day.

I dunno, I personally like them. I’d rather read a well thought out post with evidence to back it than a poorly constructed, unsupported one.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

I would be SaintAjora, mindlessly quoting bullshit stats all day.

How many times do people have to tell you that this isn’t the forum for personal attacks?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ruudiluca:
Originally posted by darkfrogger

It is, It hurts, Which can make you cry or sad. Which are emotions!

Pain isn’t an emotion. It merely creates them. You wouldn’t call your video games emotions, would you? Even if they makes you happy, sad, etc…

Flag Post

Ferretferret took the words right out of my mouth.

Flag Post

Ferret, did you read anything I posted? I already addressed why it is an emotion.

Flag Post

Ferret, did you read anything I posted? I already addressed why it is an emotion.

Yes, and this is a discussion forum, is it not? I think I have a right to argue what is an emotion and what is not.

Flag Post

boringness.

Flag Post

think I have a right to argue what is an emotion and what is not.

You didn’t argue, you completely ignored it.

Let me summarize:

Emotion – Combination of an experience, a behavior, and a neurochemical activity.

Pain – Is an experience, results in various behaviors, results in neurochemical activity.

Pain = Emotion.

Anything that isn’t clear?

Flag Post

I wish I had no emotion. =/

Flag Post

it sucks to have no emotion. i can’t laugh, i cant cry. i don’t get angry. i know when somethign is wrong or good or bad, but i can’t feel it. i’m liek a zombie, just walking around with to heart or soul. this is not somehtign i would wish on my worst enemy. it’s awful.

Flag Post

Why would it be “awful” if you don’t have emotion?