Abortion (locked)

70 posts

Flag Post

I think it’s perfectly ok. There is no proof that it is even alive yet.

Flag Post

I don’t give much of a damn until the foetus develops a functional nervous system – as that is the point where it is possible to experience pain. The nervous system is normally fully developed in the third trimester, if memory serves.

Flag Post
Originally posted by johnpeter:

A fetus is alive it has a heart beat and is a living being. Babys should have the same chance at life that you and I do and did. How would you like it if you were murded and people called it “abortion”.

You need more then a heart to be alive. A brain and other organs.

Flag Post

A fetus is alive it has a heart beat and is a living being.

So do cows, but you don’t seem to object to people slaughtering them so you can eat beef.

Babys should have the same chance at life that you and I do and did.

A fetus is not a baby.

How would you like it if you were murded and people called it “abortion”.

Fallacious.

In any case, if I had been aborted, I would never have existed as a person. Same with if my parents had used a spermicide.

Semen is alive. Is using a condom “murder”? If not, at what point do the sperm and egg become a person?

Flag Post

Also is eating sunflower seeds murder aswell? Plants are alive.

Flag Post

Abortion is fine.

I don’t see a problem at all as long as it’s early in the pregnancy. Till a foetus is conscious, i.e. has a working brain and nervous system, all it is is a tumour.

Flag Post

As long as the abortation is done by a doctor or a person with much aknowledge, I think its ok.

Flag Post

A baby’s right to live vs a Womens right to choose. I was always in support of a baby’s right to live. Killing a baby before it could ever enjoy life is disgusting in my book.

Flag Post

A fetus is not a baby. A fetus is a fetus.

Flag Post

But the relevant question is: is a fetus a person in the same way that a baby is a person? Why or why not? What’s the difference? That’s really the only question for this entire debate. Provide a logically compelling and solid answer to that question and there will be no more abortion debate.

Flag Post

Which is why I want people to try and address those points with respect to a fetus, rather than repeating emotional appeals about killing babies and such.

Flag Post

is a fetus a person in the same way that a baby is a person?

Not at all. There are a multitude of differences from physical structure, cognitive ability, and overall development.

Still it would take forever to explain them all so I guess I will lie in wait. Before that I will address a few mistakes I noticed:

I think it’s murder.

Murder is legally defined as unlawful killing. If an abortion is practiced in a legal setting it is not murder no matter how you look at it.

A fetus is alive it has a heart beat and is a living being.

Well, technically the bacteria on your hands is a collection of living beings. I guess you commit thousands of murders every time you wash your hands then.

How would you like it if you were murded and people called it “abortion”.

You would have to show how an independent, fully functioning organism can be compared to a parasitic organism that depends entirely on the host for starters.

I don’t give much of a damn until the foetus develops a functional nervous system – as that is the point where it is possible to experience pain.

Why does pain matter as a marker? Many animals experience pain as well.

Killing a baby before it could ever enjoy life is disgusting in my book.

Good thing no one is arguing for that then.

Also, feel free to read these threads so we don’t beat certain points to death:

Abortion as a birth control method?!?
is it ever okay to get an abortion?
Abortions- Are they really a bad thing?
Abortion its aaawwww right!

Flag Post

Why does pain matter as a marker? Many animals experience pain as well.

Given that there is plenty of time to abort a fetus before that happens, you could argue that waiting until a fetus is capable of feeling pain before aborting it is inhumane.

Flag Post

Is waiting for a cow to be old enough to experience pain before you slaughter it inhumane as well?

Flag Post

Humane killing devices (presumably) cause much less pain to the cow than aborting a fetus causes to it.

Also, there isn’t any opportunity to kill the cow before it can experience pain if you want to get meat out of it.

Flag Post

That’s why I’m against halal/kosher food and foie gras.

Flag Post

Humane killing devices (presumably) cause much less pain to the cow than aborting a fetus causes to it.

I find that claim somewhat dubious. What makes you think this might be the case?

Also, there isn’t any opportunity to kill the cow before it can experience pain if you want to get meat out of it.

There aren’t always opportunities to abort a fetus before it begins to feel pain. Actually to be honest we aren’t even positive what the threshold is. I think I can make a good case that a child does not truly feel pain until long after birth.

That’s why I’m against halal/kosher food and foie gras.

Why Halal/Kosher food? Note that Halal =/= Dhabiha.

Flag Post

We can be pretty sure when a fetus becomes capable of experiencing the nerve impulses we associate with pain.

Flag Post

(Looking up dhabiha)

Right. Apparently a common mistake to treat halal and dhabiha as synonyms – but nice to learn the difference.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

But the relevant question is: is a fetus a person in the same way that a baby is a person? Why or why not? What’s the difference? That’s really the only question for this entire debate. Provide a logically compelling and solid answer to that question and there will be no more abortion debate.

I dont think they are the same. A fetus is a fetus and not a full grown baby as of yet. I dont think it has full developed. But still, there are lots of ways to “get rid” of your baby without killing it. Adoption or shared adoption if you want to be part of the baby’s life.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

We can be pretty sure when a fetus becomes capable of experiencing the nerve impulses we associate with pain.

If it doesn’t have a fully functional brain do those impulses still count? As I said, it isn’t clear.

Flag Post

Abortion is not “getting rid” of a baby. It is disposing of a fetus.

When, do you believe, that a fetus stops being a collection of cells and instead becomes a person worth protecting?

Flag Post

According to the dictionary:
fetus-

–noun, plural -tus⋅es. Embryology.
(used chiefly of viviparous mammals) the young of an animal in the womb or egg, esp.
in the later stages of development when the body structures are in the recognizable form of its kind
, in humans after the end of the second month of gestation.

baby-

1. an infant or very young child.
2. a newborn or very young animal.

Flag Post

When, do you believe, that a fetus stops being a collection of cells and instead becomes a person worth protecting?

That, of course, is the entire question. I personally am tending to lean in the direction of early EEG readings, which are somewhere between 20 and 26 weeks, depending on your definition. But ultimately that’s the only question: at what point does a fetus become a human and protected under human laws? Certainly once it is born it is. And at conception it is not. So there clearly must be a turning point somewhere between, or perhaps including, those two points.

Flag Post

Well bringing science into the matter would spark an entirely different discussion.