The meaning of life

202 posts

Flag Post

what is the meaning of life? what should stop the average person from killing themselves? What is it that we get for suffering on earth? why do we endure such things? what keeps us motivated to live? why should we live? these are very strong questions that all of us face at one time or another in our lives. I know that personally these things lay very heavy in my heart and i don’t know what to believe anymore. So much has changed about me since i was last on kongregate.This is just simply to see other peoples opinions and ask questions to those who may have an answer.(this is not a some kind of religious debate, if you want to talk religion go to some other thread.)

Flag Post

what is the meaning of life?

to find the meaning of life ( no, its not 42, its 1 divided by 0 )

what should stop the average person from killing themselves?

weak ropes

What is it that we get for suffering on earth?

nothing, or if you are religious, more suffering….in hell….forever :D

why do we endure such things?

A little lie called hope

what keeps us motivated to live?

the fear of the unknown is the greatest fear, and since no one knows what happens when you die, not many want to find out

why should we live?

you dont have to, go kill yourself or live, the choice is yours, if you choose to live, enjoy it

my motto is dont sit in cubicals, destroy them

Flag Post

If the meaning of life is to find a meaning in life, then life is not worth living. There has to be something deeper that drives us, a cause worth living for.

Flag Post

and that is to find the meaning of life, that is why you spent the time to make this thread, why you sit here typing by this computer, the meaning of life is a paradox.

but if you want to find it, divide by zero

Flag Post

There has to be something deeper that drives us,

harry potter

Flag Post
Originally posted by jjuanksta:

There has to be something deeper that drives us, a cause worth living for.

Why?

Flag Post

“the meaning of life” = 42

Flag Post

The meaning of life is simple.

There is no meaning.

The Universe is a raw and brutal place. It shows no mercy.

I suggest you find what makes you happy and stick to it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GD_FierceDeity1:

Douglas Adams never wrote that the meaning of life is 42. He said that the answer to the great question of life, the Universe and everything is 42. We don’t know what the question actually is though.

Flag Post

Survival.

Are you alive? Congratulations! You’re fulfilling your species number one need.

Take a cookie.

Flag Post

We don’t know what the question actually is though.

“What do you get if you multiply six by nine?”

Flag Post

har har.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GD_FierceDeity1:

This joke isn’t even funny. It’s not even remotely a “lol” value. Please refrain from saying that.

If the meaning of life is to find a meaning in life, then life is not worth living. There has to be something deeper that drives us, a cause worth living for.

No. We’re just a weird accident in the Universe and we can “think”. There is no driving force, why would there be? I’m siding with Carados.

Originally posted by Carados:

There has to be something deeper that drives us, a cause worth living for.

Why?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

Six by seven surely, unless I’ve completely missed your point…?

Flag Post

It’s a direct quote from the book.

Flag Post

what is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is that it ends. You’d be surprised how fast time runs out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheDarkFlame:

It’s a direct quote from the book.

Okay, thanks, my bad…

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlvinFlummox:
Originally posted by Jabor:

Six by seven surely, unless I’ve completely missed your point…?

You missed the point. In the book Arthur the hero, if he can be called that, ends up with a scrabble board and a caveman who pulls out the letters F-O-R-T-Y-T-W-O. Astonished, Arthur pulls out some more and gets “WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE”. He decides he always knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.

Flag Post

The way I see it, if you need a reason to carry on with life:

Life happens. We don’t know what happened to you beforehand, and we don’t know what will happen to you afterwards. All we know about is life. But does it really matter? You’re here. Get on with it. Think of all the things you’ve always wanted to achieve, and go for them. You want to master a language, an instrument, an art? Why not? You’ve always got time to find out what happens at death later. Why die now when you can put it off until later? Make sure that when you go, you don’t look back and wish you’d not wasted so much of your life.

For example, do you really want to look back and regret never seeing either side (neon city or tranquil country) of Japan, or that you didn’t see the view from the Eifell Tower or the Tower of Pisa? Do you want to look back and wish you’d tried playing the violin or the drums? There is always something else you wanted to do, but while you’re here you might as well do as much as you can fit in. Life is only here for one reason: To be lived. Live life.

Flag Post

Yes, and then God’s Final Message To His Creation sums the whole voyage up in neat, thirty-foot high, flaming letters. :D

Flag Post

yep! I wonder if it’s possible for somebody to mention the meaning of life and not be inundated with Adams quotes…

Flag Post

Syneil, it’s more improbable than going though space at a blistering pace in a stolen and imporobably-powered spacecraft, and accidentally picking up two hichhikers who are less than a second from death in the vacuum of space, who happen to be old friends.

Flag Post

Just to be pedantic: The answer to the question of the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything is not 42, it is very clearly forty-two. This is relevant because, if you will recall, the Vogon constructor fleet demolished the Earth just before the mice finished their experiment and finally found the Answer, which means that the version of the Answer that can be found in Arthur Dent is incomplete – and thus not really the Answer. (also, the previous may be the most surreal sentence I have ever intentionally written) There are some theories that, therefore, the real answer is something that is almost but not quite forty-two, like “fortitude”.

Anyway, the question as posed is an expression of the human psyche, and fundamentally meaningless. We are inherently social creatures, always concerned with what other people are doing or thinking or intending. As such, we constantly fall prey to the pathetic fallacy, leading to seemingly profound but basically useless questions like this one.

When you say “what is the meaning of life”, you are saying “I know how to think about humans; therefore, in order to make thinking easier for me, I will ascribe human characteristics to the ephemeral concept ‘life’, and from there make decisions about life’s goals and desires.”

This is wrong. Life is not a human. Life is a process, a vaguely defined collection of natural forces. It does not have goals, it does not have desires, it does not have reason. Asking “what is the meaning of life” is like asking “what is the meaning of gravity” or “what is the meaning of chemistry”, and just as useless.

Of course, since you are a human, your life can have meaning. Life itself, however, does not.

Flag Post

Einar, just to be pedantic, it was pan-dimensional mice, not hamsters.

Flag Post

I never said hamsters. Never. You can’t prove it.