Religion - churches and kongregate forums

47 posts

Flag Post

(there is maybe a thread like this but i cant find one)

Why do people on Kongregate forums ask many different religious questions? And are trying to find the truth or know more? and ask if something is a sin ? or ask if they are true christian or anything else?

Why won’t you go to church to find out more, and correct information? ( not all churches are 100% right, and i am NOT making anyone go anywhere )

Trust me churches are way better that kongregate forums. and you don’t need to pay ( some churches you do need to pay )

Flag Post

Prove to me what the churches preach is true.

Flag Post

Just because people talk about religion in the forums doesn’t mean they don’t consult other sources.

Flag Post

Why won’t you go to church to find out more, and correct information?

Why?

It is far easier, and far more accurate, to look up said information on the internet. That way you get the whole story, rather than a single point of view.

And you’re thinking for yourself rather than being a mindless sheep.

Flag Post

Prove to me what the churches preach is true.

Prove to me that forums preach is true.

just because people talk about religion in the forums doesn’t mean they don’t consult other sources.

true, its possible. never said that looking religious info online was wrong or unnecessary if you go to church.

It is far easier, and far more accurate, to look up said information on the internet. That way you get the whole story, rather than a single point of view.

easier – yes, accurate – not even 50% of the time ( don’t ask me for my research report, and stop being a pain in the neck it could be 68.489% happy? ) WHOLE story part, choose what you believe in, and follow that you chose and follow that single point of view.

Flag Post

We don’t preach, we have discussions and arguments.

Flag Post

you don’t preach the same way you discuss. you type. ok whatever we got the point.

Flag Post

I’m scared…Billy’s contributing in a non-annoying way.

Does this bother anyone else?

Flag Post

yes, its annoying. PLZ STAY ON TOPIC

Flag Post

I’ll be honest. Except for the occassional troll, I can’t say that anyone’s ever accused me of my religion being wrong. I mainly get well-respective, kind questions about my faith. In that context, I think it’s quite a lot easier to speak with respect to a person whom one doesn’t know.

Flag Post

accurate – not even 50% of the time

How could you possibly know that?

Flag Post

Why do people on Kongregate forums ask many different religious questions? And are trying to find the truth or know more? and ask if something is a sin ? or ask if they are true christian or anything else?

You either have the people who want to focus on an individual topic that generally degenerates into God vs. No God debate. Then, you have the people who pay no attention to what has already been said and start another thread on exactly the same topic as what has been done 12 times before. Then, you have the trolls. Finally, you have the people asking why all the other people have made so many threads.

You could find out more, but it wouldn’t necessarily be correct. You can ask a vicar what his beliefs are, and he’ll be correct, but ask him ‘does God exist’ and you can’t be sure his answer is correct. Personally, I would doubt him.

Trust me churches are way better that kongregate forums.

Churches: I have to go somewhere, I have to ask someone who I can be pretty sure would be a Christian and give me only a Christian’s view, I can only get limited information from what I know, and I might get preached at.

Kongregate: I can stay at the computer, I can ask anyone but not be entirely sure what there beliefs are unless they say (and are not lying), I can get many viewpoints, I have the whole internet at my fingertips, and I might get preached at.

I don’t see a huge amount of difference. Religious beliefs are subjective anyways.

It isn’t. Unless its a fact, obviously, but ‘God is real/not real’ is not a fact. Forums don’t preach anyways, most of the time at least.

never said that looking religious info online was wrong or unnecessary if you go to church.

Why go to church at all? They have websites.

( don’t ask me for my research report, and stop being a pain in the neck it could be 68.489% happy? )

If you don’t want a fact to be queried, don’t make it up. Simple, really.

easier – yes, accurate – not even 50% of the time ( don’t ask me for my research report, and stop being a pain in the neck it could be 68.489% happy? ) WHOLE story part, choose what you believe in, and follow that you chose and follow that single point of view.

Can I just say that I did not understand the bit after the parenthesis at all.

Do you think someone else has hijacked his account?

Flag Post

Hooray! I like meta-topics!

Unfortunately SithDoughnut has pretty much answered the original post. Online forums in general have a wider variety of contributors than a church would, it’s a lot easier to cite things online, etc etc.

Anyway, RussianBear, it sounds like you’re young, grew up in a relatively conservative religious community, and are just now being exposed to the Internets. Welcome! You might want to get started reading Christian apologetics, because honestly Christianity has a lot to apologize for.

Flag Post

You might want to get started reading Christian apologetics, because honestly Christianity has a lot to apologize for.

Hehehehehe… :)

Flag Post

Yes it does. Forget not the Holocaust nor the Crusades.

Flag Post

grew up in a relatively conservative religious community

This part of Einars post seems ot sum up what I’m thinking too. It seems like whenever you had a problem you went to the church and asked them about it and the priest/people helped you out everytime? it’s just you accepted there answer without ever questioning it. Or you thought whats the point of questioning it if it already helped me.

Flag Post

I have no clue why we keep bringing up god and all of that nonsense.

It depresses me.

Why can’t we talk about important things, like the best website that is counting down the days until Miley Cyrus is legal?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

Why?

And you’re thinking for yourself rather than being a mindless sheep.

fin d the best one near your place.

Flag Post

I have no clue why we keep bringing up god and all of that nonsense.
It depresses me

He brought up the topic of the church that do things in the name of God….. That’s not God. Just alot of non sensical things

Flag Post

How could you possibly know that?

maybe not 50%, but 68.489%, did you get the point???????????

You either have the people who want to focus on an individual topic that generally degenerates into God vs. No God debate. Then, you have the people who pay no attention to what has already been said and start another thread on exactly the same topic as what has been done 12 times before. Then, you have the trolls. Finally, you have the people asking why all the other people have made so many threads.

no, this thread is not all about religion. its about going to church rather than looking it up on the internet.

Churches: I have to go somewhere, I have to ask someone who I can be pretty sure would be a Christian and give me only a Christian’s view, I can only get limited information from what I know, and I might get preached at.

did i ever say there is only one church? or go to this church or that one? there are billions of churches chose the one you believe is right. ( AGAIN, MAYBE THERE IS 1325489482.5 CHURCHES, who knows? )

Why go to church at all? They have websites.

well you wouldn’t be going online every Saturday or regularly? and ( if you believe in this ) you cant get the holy spirit on the internet? its not something you could buy on eBay.

Can I just say that I did not understand the bit after the parenthesis at all.

what i meant was that i haven’t done any research, and don’t have exact numbers.

Anyway, RussianBear, it sounds like you’re young, grew up in a relatively conservative religious community, and are just now being exposed to the Internets. Welcome! You might want to get started reading Christian apologetics, because honestly Christianity has a lot to apologize for.

your defiantly not funny. don’t act like one.

This part of Einars post seems ot sum up what I’m thinking too. It seems like whenever you had a problem you went to the church and asked them about it and the priest/people helped you out everytime? it’s just you accepted there answer without ever questioning it. Or you thought whats the point of questioning it if it already helped me.

i do like to question things, my church is truly alive, people get healed there, and people are good there too. if you don’t like churches its your choice.

Why can’t we talk about important things, like the best website that is counting down the days until Miley Cyrus is legal?

eternal life is not important? until miley is legal lol.

Flag Post

maybe not 50, but 68.489, did you get the point???

The point was … don’t cite something as a “fact” unless you know it is.

did i ever say there is only one church? or go to this church or that one? there are billions of churches chose the one you believe is right.

So, I have to wander around every single church until I find one I like?

Why bother, when I can look them all up on the internet and in 5 minutes get down to “I don’t really like any of them”?

my church is truly alive, people get healed there,

Can you prove this?

If so, I hear the Randi Foundation might like to give you a million dollars.

eternal life is not important?

It might be … if it was real. Pascal’s Wager just doesn’t work as an argument.

Flag Post

It also occurs to me that if people were really looking for evidence, they probably would not be asking questions on a forum; they would be reading books and doing interviews and learning for themselves. It always amuses me when I see someone who says that there is no evidence for Christianity but then refuses to read some of the resources I suggest.

Flag Post

It always amuses me when you assume that anyone who has read them will not automatically agree.

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure I have torn apart most of your sources before PFB. I always read sources that are given.

Flag Post

It amuses me when people think conducting research means consulting Wikipedia.