Peace or justice?

32 posts

Flag Post

Which one of these two morals is the more important one to you when you have to choose?

Flag Post

Justice brings peace

Flag Post

Is peace a moral?

Flag Post

Do you mean ‘mercy’ instead of peace?

Flag Post

Mercy definitely makes more sense. If I had to choose between mercy or justice, I’d go with justice. Without justice, as Vanguarde stated, there would be no peace.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

Justice brings peace

One act leads to another, that’s for sure.

Originally posted by hatchspark:

Do you mean ‘mercy’ instead of peace?

Originally posted by ion14:

Is peace a moral?

My bad, I shouldn’t have referred to them as morals. Justice is of course the only one which can be perceived as different things. Either way, peace or justice? There is rarely room for both.

Flag Post

Well, I can’t argue that. If I had to pick one, I think peace would be what I chose. Something must be happening correctly in order for their to be peace. Balance of forces makes peace. And in a balance, everything is neutral, right?

Flag Post

Justice brings peace

Depends on how you define ‘peace’. Stalin considered killing thousands of his own people as ‘justice’ but it was not peaceful.

Flag Post

They’re both pretty swell, why not choose both?

Flag Post

I argued this in LD debate once, with a teammate in a blowoff round.

Peace, when in it’s absolute form, gives off absolute justice, as noone is infringing on another’s rights, else there is no peace.

How do we achieve absolute peace? Partial Nuclear Annihilation of the Human Race.

In all seriousness, peace achieves justice, thus peace is better to achieve. Peace = Justice, but Justice <> Peace.

Flag Post

Kasha, I think I just saw your reply take the shape of a majestic unicorn galloping forth to battle the armies of Hell. That part about

Originally posted by Kasha4890:

I argued this in LD debate once, with a teammate in a blowoff round.

Peace, when in it’s absolute form, gives off absolute justice, as noone is infringing on another’s rights, else there is no peace.

How do we achieve absolute peace? Partial Nuclear Annihilation of the Human Race.

In all seriousness, peace achieves justice, thus peace is better to achieve. Peace = Justice, but Justice <> Peace.

Kasha, I think I just saw your reply take the shape of a majestic unicorn galloping forth to battle the armies of Hell. That part about no one infringing in absolute peace makes alot of sense. I was trying to make that point in my post, but I did it nowhere near as well as you did. Kudos.

Flag Post

You can’t get peace in our current world if we don’t have justice.

Flag Post

There never was peace and there never was justice in the world.

It would be one hell of a shock to our system, governments would be abolished and some people would go out of business.

people can peacefully tell you what to do, what you are talking about is freedom, freedom from oppression and authority. It would be a beautiful world not being told what to do and not telling anyone else what to do, just living life to the fullest. Freedom Forever xxx

Flag Post

But in order for that to happen … you’d have to tell people not to tell you what to do.

So it’s self-contradictory.

Flag Post

Yes, “Do What You Want” is contradictory, but only in the philosophical sense.

Flag Post

See, you can’t ensure that no-one enforces their own will on you without enforcing your own will on everyone else.

Even if the only thing your “enforcing” is “don’t mess with me, or anyone else”, you still have to enforce your will on other people to make that a reality.

Which would make you the biggest hypocrit in the history of hypocrisy.

Flag Post

It would be a beautiful world not being told what to do and not telling anyone else what to do, just living life to the fullest. Freedom Forever xxx

yeah fictional utopias are awesome

Flag Post

Justice.

Flag Post

Peace, as its more to achieve serene state of mind than to exert righteousness.
Mercy, as its better to give than receive it.

Flag Post

Justice can make the guilty angry, and peace can make the angry irritated and unhappy….
It depends on how you come upon peace or justice

Flag Post

Peace. Justice is in the eye of the beholder, but there is a very set definition of peace.

Flag Post

If there was complete peace there would be no need for justice.

Flag Post

but you can never have complete peace in the world. i say justice. it sets limitations and helps bring peace (as previously stated)

Flag Post

it sets limitations and helps bring peace

It can bring peace. Or it can bring oppression so brutal war is a better alternative.

Flag Post

Justice brings peace

i am with this as well justice brings peace but also sanity