I think the speed of light can be broken. Do you?

169 posts

Flag Post

So we know from a theory that the speed of light is the so called ‘ultimate speed limit’ in the universe. Einstein presented his theory’s and people have taken them to mean fact.

Einstein was a very good thinker, and I am glad to share a tiny bit of the way he thought. He thought outside the box. I do as well, he was just millions of times better at it. :)

I have been thinking about the known physics about light speed. I only have a basic understanding but I do know why so many feel that the speed of light will never be broken by any means.

I think it can – in theory. Will it ever be proven 100%, along with all of Einstein’s theories? Probably not.

I just feel to claim that this speed cannot be broken so early in the game of discovery is VERY premature. We know next to zilch about dark matter and dark energy. Hmm..

Leaving out these forces is like having a race with 10 guys, but only 2 are visible and saying without a doubt that runner 1 always wins. It’s ludicrous.

If you are expecting me to explain how send information faster than light, don’t. No one knows, and I am no genius.

I just feel that when things go really fast and become really small, odd things happen and some ‘laws’ of physics tend to fall apart. Around quantum singularities the laws of known physics fall apart.

Let’s hope I am right – for it will save the human race in terms of the universe if I am. Imagine transmitting messages to a discovered alien race and getting back at 1,000 times the speed of light using some exotic quantum ‘cheat’ and seeing for the first time an actual picture of another intelligent life form. And if that form is ugly to us or repulsive it will test to see if humanity at that point has really moved past bigotry and it’s petty feuds of today.

Imagine both races, alien and human sharing their knowledge and working together to try to solve the mystery of moving matter through space at faster than light speeds. For hundreds of years. Then thousands.

Our races so badly want to have physical first contact, yet for thousands of years it eludes us. Imagine the pain of knowing someone is out there, who you know like a brother or sister – but you cannot meet them.

It is like a pen pal you know for your entire life time, but when you both decide to meet you find out he/she is on Pluto and you are on Earth. With today’s technology. It can’t happen. The torture of it all.

I am so tired of humanity’s petty infighting and struggles. I do not know the psychological term for it, but what is it called when two kids who are left home alone at 10 years old start to fight and destroy things when they realize mommy is not coming back and they are all….. alone….

Flag Post

I only read the first few lines of what you posted.

FTL travel is possible. The only way it can happen though, is if we discover how to manipulate mass.

Flag Post

I have been thinking about the known physics about light speed. I only have a basic understanding but I do know why so many feel that the speed of light will never be broken by any means.

Scientists say they have slowed light to a dead stop, stored it and then let it go again.

Old news.

Although when people refer to the “speed of light” they usually refer to its “normal” speed, 299,000 km/s.

Around quantum singularities the laws of known physics fall apart.

Quantum singularities are a fictional phenomena. Perhaps you mean gravitational singularity. That being said physics doesn’t “fall apart”, we simply notice problems in the base equations as you get results such as infinity.

Flag Post

Tachyons move faster than light. Things that have been proven to exist don’t.

Flag Post

What omega said is a relativly good idea, but to control mass in such a way to make us travel pass would be a great undertaking, I believe man will find out how, for that is how God has destined it, manifest destiny my friends.

Flag Post

You can travel faster than light if there was a fourth spatial dimension, for an observer in normal 3d spacetime (wormholes). This is all just theoretical.

Flag Post

Einstein was a very good thinker, and I am glad to share a tiny bit of the way he thought. He thought outside the box. I do as well,

lawl no

Flag Post

It’s amazing that mankind cannot tolerate limitations or infinitudes alike. Whether that’s to our success or fault, I’m still not sure.

Flag Post

Einsteins has proved that the fabric of space time can be bent, folded, twisted, ect… so i believe that if we can bend space time using some kind of hyperdrive, we won’t have to move at all. the fabric of space time will move under us allowing us to move through thousands of years and millions of light years in minutes.

Flag Post

The speed of light, like time and gravity, is completely relative. I think you should specify what kind of universe you’re talking about and what theories are accepted.

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkfrogger:

The speed of light, like time and gravity, is completely relative. I think you should specify what kind of universe you’re talking about and what theories are accepted.

^ truth right there.
Relitivaty is the key to almost all Einstein theorized.
Also, this is extremely off topic, but you are just BEGGING for a spammer to come here and say chuck Norris is faster.

Flag Post

It honestly depends.

Flag Post

Actually, the speed of light in a vacuum really is constant.

A light beam leaves a star at c, and passes you at c, even if you’re travelling towards the star at 0.5 x c. And the light beam doesn’t accelerate or decelerate along the way.

Flag Post

Speed of light in vacuum is limit we can’t break. The question is, can we go around it?

Flag Post

So basically, Vanguarde thinks you can move matter faster than the speed of light because it would be really, really sad if you couldn’t?

I’m sure the laws of physics will relent if you cry harder.

Flag Post

It’s amazing that mankind cannot tolerate limitations or infinitudes alike. Whether that’s to our success or fault, I’m still not sure.

But that’s what makes up keep advancing. If humans were happy back in there caves and huts, then we woulda never progressed anywhere.

Flag Post

yes it can be broken, anything is possible

if stephen hawkings theory is correct than it has been broken an infinit number of times

Flag Post

Tachyons are theoretical particles; not yet ever observed. Mostly they are used as tools in theoretical frameworks when they appear to break down.

Flag Post

the main theory for making something go faster than the speed of light is to manipulate light into traveling faster than our current ‘speed of light’

Flag Post

Apparently there are some people here who know quite something about physics. I have a question (and a theory that comes with it). What’s the ‘speed’ of a force (like gravity or magnetism)? For example, if I drop a pen this will affect the gravity of the earth. I know it’s practically impossible to measure, but for as far as I know this does have a little effect on other planets, other solar systems, and other galaxies. Does this effect (a difference in gravity) take place immediately? Because that would mean it’s hell of a lot faster than light. And then in theory we could use magnetic fields to communicate with aliens or something.

Flag Post

Lets just say that the fact you’re asking the question shows some huge misconceptions about physics.

Flag Post

Please point them out, I’m eager to learn.

Flag Post

In Newtonian physics all gravitation was believed to be instantaneous. In an Einsteinian universe, and in supersymmetric string theory, gravitation “travels” at c. In an Einsteinian universe it is the warping of space-time that sort of ripples out at light speed and in string theory it is an actual particle, the graviton, travelling at light-speed.

Flag Post

Thanks a lot, Syneil. I’d assume magnetism works at the speed of light as well since it’s a field.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

Actually, the speed of light in a vacuum really is constant.

A light beam leaves a star at c, and passes you at c, even if you’re travelling towards the star at 0.5 x c. And the light beam doesn’t accelerate or decelerate along the way.

I never denied that. Maybe I shouldn’t have made the comparison I did, but there is no denying the fact that the speed of light can be broken in 4d space, relative to someone in 3d space. Quantum field theory does allow negative energy to exist in special circumstances, which could in turn allow wormholes to exist. This is highly speculative and it is more or less impossible to create conditions in which real experiments could be carried out on these theories. It is isn’t true “faster than light travel” since two people moving away from each other (or the space expands between them) faster than the speed of light can never be in the same reference frame.