Vigilantes - good or bad? page 2

212 posts

Flag Post

Vanguarde, move to South-Africa

Flag Post

child molesters get killed in prison

i think that as far as they should go :D

Flag Post

I think just the rumor and possible a few very brutal ‘events’ that are plastered across the news would make thugs thinks twice about their crimes.

It would be like a huge propaganda thing.. like the ‘Batman’ who makes criminals fear him and crime – but without the Batman.

at the least it would make for a great behavioral study

Flag Post

vigilantes im not so on board with…the idea of people running around like they are batman stopping crime saving people, would be worse than not having them.
there is however a difference between justifiable revenge and vigilantism. that said in the event some one rapes your daughter you find out who it is and kill them a first dgree murder charge isnt really what they deserve a man slaughter charge would suffice IMO. its a shame how the people committing such crimes are often released based on technicality and it does not surprise me that people go out for revenge not to be confused with being a vigilante.
there is also a difference from say a CCW permit holder acting in accordance with the law who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time….acting in a manner to preserve human life as rather than to seek out and destroy human life as i believe a vigilante would do

Flag Post

there is however a difference between justifiable revenge and vigilantism. that said in the event some one rapes your daughter you find out who it is and kill them a first dgree murder charge isnt really what they deserve a man slaughter charge would suffice IMO.

That mans orphaned son seeks revenge, killing you, your wife seeks revenge on their family, and so on.

The whole point of a justice system is to avoid such endless conflict.

its a shame how the people committing such crimes are often released based on technicality

I find that hard to believe.

Flag Post

does this son have a mother? pandering words like orphan doesnt fly good luck killing him while he is in jail. why do you have such faith in the justice system has it done something for you that allowed you to feel that justice was done because it has failed me on more than one occasion but to entertain you that the justice system doesnt work OJ, michael jackson, terri schiavo list could go on and on justice leaves just as much prejudice to commit revenge as the initial act would harbor in the first place nice try thou

Flag Post

A few high-profile cases where you think they “got it wrong” don’t support the assertion that people who are guilty are “often” released on a technicality.

Further, isn’t it better to let a guilty person go than to persecute someone who is innocent?

Flag Post

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=TSl&q=dismissed+on+technicality+united+states&btnG=Search&cts=1236309210455
74000 hits those are just cases thet were deemed news worthy granted some are repeated but thats an overwhelming number IMO.

point is no matter what justice brings some one can always find a way to have a “need” to seek revenge maybe a kids father was found guilty maybe he blames the judge or the people that were on the jury saying that the justice system stops this is ludicrous.

Flag Post

I get 67,600 hits.

And a lot of those (in fact, I’d venture to say the vast majority) of the cases pointed at are very rightfully dismissed – invasion of privacy by the state is criminal and our right to privacy needs to be upheld by the courts, even if it means letting a couple of dope growers get off.

Also, you didn’t answer the second point I made.

Flag Post

74000 hits

Availability heuristics don’t prove squat.

Flag Post

guilty let go than send an innocent to jail…yea but if the justice system works as you seem to think it does thats not a problem.

still no one addressed my point that justice can harbor revenge. it is all about what you feel is “justice” and which “side” you are on. also doesnt take into account the number of cases dismissed that were not news worthy.

finding some thing “hard to believe” doesnt mean squat either

where was justice in this case http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=9609599

oh heres a good page http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0274.htm
yea notice how high the dismissed column numbers are. sure lets say 75% deserved to be there thats still 25% of the people who shoudl be found guilty are let go because of something stupid.

Flag Post

Why can’t the vigilante just join the police if he wants to serve justice? Nobody is above the law.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gereffi:

Why can’t the vigilante just join the police if he wants to serve justice? Nobody is above the law.

fortunately the police wont hirer just any person that thinks fighting crime is a good thing. i was unfortunately turned down for this line of work.

i did however find some more statistics about the failing justice system http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/pdf/t517.pdf

Flag Post

Why did you get turned down?

Flag Post

because of something stupid.

You mean like the police invading someone’s privacy without probable cause?

And the point is that the justice system is far better at determining guilt or innocence than the opinion of one loony with a gun.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

because of something stupid.

You mean like the police invading someone’s privacy without probable cause?

And the point is that the justice system is far better at determining guilt or innocence than the opinion of one loony with a gun.

no i mean like forgetting to read veranda rights but i agree with you on the better than a loony with a gun part. i forget where but i distinctly remember a case where evidence of a dead body of a missing women had to be dismissed because of police searching without a warrant im sorry but that is stupid btw the man walked free. also it would appear that you dont understand what im arguing which is that i understand why there is justifiable revenge and how it differs from vigilantism. keep in mind it happens b/c alot of the time courts fail to serve justice

to gereffi im not sure why i was turned down i made it do the 2nd to last stage of a 5 part hiring process and after that i got a letter that i was not selected to be a candidate in there on going hiring process

Flag Post

Well, maybe the police force you wanted to apply to didn’t need to hire any more. I’m sure that if they were hiring and you were truly dedicated to keeping the streets clean, you could get a police job somewhere.

Flag Post

Well, maybe the police force you wanted to apply to didn’t need to hire any more. I’m sure that if they were hiring and you were truly dedicated to keeping the streets clean, you could get a police job somewhere.

thank you that really means more to me than you could think ive been needing a confidence boost…on the plus side im just waiting to be shipped out for basic in the USAF im going to be an MP there

Flag Post
Originally posted by ion14:

Your ideas echo cruel and unusual punishment, Vanguarde. To this day, people are still saying that being grabbed by a German Shepherd and dragged to the ground is cruel. So is the murder the perp just committed, but I guess that doesn’t count. I like the idea of vigilantes, but the state, or country for that matter, would be hard-pressed to keep them in check. Because they don’t work for us… who is to say they won’t go out and do whatever the hell they feel like doing? If we were to turn a blind eye to people who are doing wrong actions for the right reasons, the lines between justice, revenge, right, and wrong would be brutally blurred.

Ion said it best, and to dark, hope ya do well in basic,

Flag Post

“Most normal, law-biding(as much as is possible) citizens aren’t going to be capable of committing murder. It’s not as easy as pulling the trigger. To kill is to take everything a person has accomplished, all of their hopes, dreams, loves, hates, everything that made them unique, and it completely erases all of that. What normal person is going to be capable of that?”

If a ‘regular, law abiding citizen’ had never read that, he would never know, therefore it would be easier for him to ‘pull the trigger’ i’m totally Pro-vigilantism

Flag Post

If a ‘regular, law abiding citizen’ had never read that, he would never know, therefore it would be easier for him to ‘pull the trigger’ i’m totally Pro-vigilantism

People don’t recognize that other people exist unless you tell them? If you live in a society where that is true, you have much bigger problems than crime or vigilantism to worry about.

Flag Post

I think vigilantes should have a licence, and only be able to kill those marked for them or ones who pose an immediate threat near them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aneslayer:

Men need to be led, not subued to submission or in this case, termination.

Unfortunately, a lot of people can’t be led by civil ways. Force and fear is the only thing that can control them. The police forces civility and hesitation to kill people is a big reason of the justice system failing.

Flag Post

Vigilantes would be different from police officers. The vigilantes would be more like hitmen than police.

Flag Post

Government-formed assassination squads killing people without due process? How Third Reich of you.