Vigilantes - good or bad? page 3

212 posts

Flag Post

My brother is a vigilante.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zer0point:

Government-formed assassination squads killing people without due process? How Third Reich of you.

By “Third Reich”, I assume you meant “Patriot Act”?

Flag Post

well i believe in vigilantes but don’t know enough people who do to make it worth getting into but my thoughts are simple a man who can kill someone and get away with it i think thats when there needed for the families not for justice but closer for the families, for instance a man kills a 13 year old boy who was on his bike the man driving at ohh 80+ MPH drunk above state limit on a suspended license, crashes into the 13 year old boy hes convicted as a felon but only does 20 months for vehicular manslaughter and is set free like nothing ever happened. i believe the families are the ones who need some sort of justice

Flag Post

And killing him over a mistake that can haunt the man for the rest of his life is the best way to handle things?

Unless I completely missed what you wrote.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SpiritfChaos:

My brother is a vigilante.

you should tell him about this thread, and then post what he thinks, that would be interesting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by medudeman2259:

well i believe in vigilantes but don’t know enough people who do to make it worth getting into but my thoughts are simple a man who can kill someone and get away with it i think thats when there needed for the families not for justice but closer for the families, for instance a man kills a 13 year old boy who was on his bike the man driving at ohh 80+ MPH drunk above state limit on a suspended license, crashes into the 13 year old boy hes convicted as a felon but only does 20 months for vehicular manslaughter and is set free like nothing ever happened. i believe the families are the ones who need some sort of justice

And then the killed drunk driver’s family thinks: “Hey. We want justice too!”
Awesome idea…

Flag Post

After watching The Green Hornet, I advocate that vigilantism is a necessary and sufficient tool for ending crime.

Flag Post

No. All vigilantism advocates is anarchy and corruption. The only way for a situation to be as just as possible is to have a system that removes the personal from the situation as much as possible. Personal attachment brings with it bias, blindness, and fervor. You can’t make a rational, valid decision with these fetters. Organization is always required for any criminal accusation, and not the organization of a mob but the organization of a government.

Flag Post

I agree Vigilantes would be better than cops. Cops keep getting lazier and lazier. I was driving behind cop yesterday and some guy Flew past us at least doing 90 mph and he didn’t even stop or flash is brake lights just kept driving. Vigilantes would Most likely either incredibly impact the amout of crime or Stop it all together.

Flag Post

Ask yourself what the difference between an officer of the law and a vigilante is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by The_Acorn:

I agree Vigilantes would be better than cops. Cops keep getting lazier and lazier. I was driving behind cop yesterday and some guy Flew past us at least doing 90 mph and he didn’t even stop or flash is brake lights just kept driving. Vigilantes would Most likely either incredibly impact the amout of crime or Stop it all together.

So your point is, the law is good, the people executing it suck, so let’s just screw the law. Nice point… (I hope everyone understands what I’m trying to express with these “…”-s)
Btw, how do you execute vigilante-law (man, that sounds stupid) on someone who’s driving too fast? Shoot his tires to make him hit that playground around the corner? Landmines?

Flag Post

How about we just kill everybody and call it even? Nuclear weapons make vigilante heaven a reality.

Because really, everybody in this discussion has somebody who wants them dead for some stupid reason. Can your romantic notions of the vigilante right here. Do I really need to pull out all the times this shit has gone wrong?

Actually, I take that back. vigilante is a good thing. My neighbor plays their rap albums entirely too loud and the only sensible punishment is to pump lead into their head. Since I’m operating under the bounds of enforcing the law (public disturbance), that means it’s not murder and their family can be content knowing their kid was a criminal that got what they deserved.

The world isn’t perfect, and neither are government institutions or the people it serves. But people have different sets of morals and beliefs, and when you allow people to take the law into their hands these collide into bloodbaths. There is no universal set of ethics to guide us; examine the bogged down mess of contradictions moral philosophy got itself into when it tried to define such a thing. Immanuel Kant vs John Stuart Mill, round 9000, fight!

Flag Post

I think police just need more rights as to how to deal with criminals. For instance, a police officer tells the guy who’s stealing the TV to freeze. If he doesn’t immediately reply after acknowledgement, the police officer has the right to use lethal force. If he fights at all in the car or in handcuffs, the police has the right to use lethal force.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Spetsnaz2077:

I think police just need more rights as to how to deal with criminals. For instance, a police officer tells the guy who’s stealing the TV to freeze. If he doesn’t immediately reply after acknowledgement, the police officer has the right to use lethal force. If he fights at all in the car or in handcuffs, the police has the right to use lethal force.

Guy:What? The police officer just shot me randomly!
Police Officer:You did not immediately reply
Guy:I BLOODY DID!
Police Officer:Your word against mine, asshead.
Other Police Officer:LOLPWND

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

That’s because of a corrupted police officer. There’ll be corrupt authority until there is no authority.

Flag Post

That’s because of a corrupted police officer. There’ll be corrupt authority until there is no authority.

Yes, there’s a corrupt authority.
If we implement your suggestion, the authority will become even more corrupt.

Flag Post

How?

Flag Post

Fear is a terrible way to control. It inspires irrational acts, and a barrier of violence and deception. Them against Us sort of mentality. Education and equality will be far more efficient in lowering crime rate than any sort of Vigilantes police force.

Flag Post

How?

Holy heck, in that case Spets why even require an order? Just make it legal for police to shoot whoever the fuck they want to for any reason (or lack thereof). And no, there’s nothing corrupt about helltanks scenario if the rules you declared were applied. ‘Immediately’ is a pretty vague term after all

Flag Post

I think vigilantes are a very good thing. Some criminals really do deserve to die. I know some people would disagree, but I think that murderers, rapists and child molesters should get an instant death penalty. They need to really suffer. My friends think I’m psychotic because I think this way. I mean I could definitely kill someone easily without feeling bad. It might as well be someone who deserves it right.

Flag Post

You mean, someone like you?

Flag Post

Do your friends also tell you not to bump necro threads just to blather meaningless nonsense? Cause they should.

Flag Post

I mean I could definitely kill someone easily without feeling bad. It might as well be someone who deserves it right.

That’s a rather odd way of looking at this topic.

Flag Post

I know some people would disagree, but I think that murderers, rapists and child molesters should get an instant death penalty.

They need to really suffer.

Instant death is your idea of “real suffering”?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JusticeIsDEAD:

I think vigilantes are a very good thing. Some criminals really do deserve to die. I know some people would disagree, but I think that murderers, rapists and child molesters should get an instant death penalty. They need to really suffer. My friends think I’m psychotic because I think this way. I mean I could definitely kill someone easily without feeling bad. It might as well be someone who deserves it right.

Even then, thought, deserve a trial thought, to actually prove they committed the crimes they are being accused of. As for needing to suffer, I dont see such need. I believe that, if I take enjoyment n the suffering of others, I am no better then those I hunt. I believe that they must be rehabilitated, or if that is impossible, neutralized. After all, there is already a sentence who says…

Stare to deep into the abyss, and the abyss will stare at you.

I dont have anything personally against vigilantes, quite by the contrary: I respect their desire to bring justice. However, I simply dont believe they are as effective as the police is, because the police protocols are there to make sure they actually get the right guy. Even that systen has its flaws, I wont deny it, and yes, I could picture myself as a vigilante, but naturally I would make a carefull investigation about my targets to be sure I would be behind the right guy, and I would cooperate with the police most of the time( And, by most of the time, I mean: For as long as law and justice are agreeing here… )