If The Bible had never been written...

86 posts

Flag Post

So, Christians. I have a little question for you. The Bible was just written by men…that is all. What if it hadn’t been written, though? You wouldn’t follow God. Obviously. So how can it possibly be the truth if it’s only “proof” is The Bible? Imagine living a life not as a Christian, because frankly, if the Bible didn’t exist, you would’ve. Of course, non-Christians can post here too.

Now, I want you to put forward your opinions on what would have happened if The Bible hadn’t been written. Christians, if you’re one of those “OMFG! YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN GOD!” web Christians, please don’t reply in that sense. People like Darkruler…fire away.

Well, homosexual marriages would be allowed in Canada. Nice plus.

Flag Post

You can’t predict the future.

Anyway, a World Without Religion thread probably suits fine. None of us might not exist.

“OMFG! YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN GOD!”

do not take the lord’s name in vain.

Flag Post

I’m sure everyone would start following one of the other religions.

Flag Post

I suspect one of the other cults of the time would have gained memetic superiority over the others and we’d have a different “bible” and a different dominant religion.

Flag Post

If the Bible had never been written, you’re right. I probably would never have known about God. Or, perhaps I might have, but it would be a very distorted image of God, and there would be no way to really know about Him.

But that’s quite irrelevant, because God did give us the Bible

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pink_Fuzzy_Bunny:

If the Bible had never been written, you’re right. I probably would never have known about God. Or, perhaps I might have, but it would be a very distorted image of God, and there would be no way to really know about Him.

God gave you the Qu’ran.

Flag Post

Yeah, it’s kind of obvious you’re now only ruling out the Christians. There’s many other religions out there that are believing in a God, or multiple gods. As I said in a former post, my belief is that this one God is the God of all those religions, just that we worship him in a different way, and have a different messiah. Christians wouldn’t be Christians, but would follow another belief.

If you were aiming to rule out all beliefs in this discussion, you should state so explicitly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Yeah, it’s kind of obvious you’re now only ruling out the Christians. There’s many other religions out there that are believing in a God, or multiple gods. As I said in a former post, my belief is that this one God is the God of all those religions, just that we worship him in a different way, and have a different messiah. Christians wouldn’t be Christians, but would follow another belief.

If you were aiming to rule out all beliefs in this discussion, you should state so explicitly.

You are the only Christian who believes that you can get into heaven through another religion. Going against God’s words in the Bible.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pink_Fuzzy_Bunny:

Hello. I’m Pink_Fuzzy_Bunny. I believe my opinion is correct and there are no alternatives, God does exist and he did give us The Bible.

Sigh Do you think God wrote The Bible and just tossed it down to Earth?

Flag Post

You are the only Christian who believes that you can get into heaven through another religion. Going against God’s words in the Bible.

Might want to point out a few scientific researches where you found this highly speculative assumption of yours.

Otherwise, dismissed.

Flag Post

Might want to point out a few scientific researches where you found this highly speculative assumption of yours.

Otherwise, dismissed.

www.christianbeliefs.com/fundementalbelieves of being a christian

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Christian

Actually never mind.

You don’t have to believe God created the earth to be Christian, or the universe.

Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.

Flag Post

Your first link gives me the opportunity to buy Christian shoes, go to Christian college or date Christian singles.

Your second kind of contradicts yourself, as you already noted.

But not to matter, I will not deny that my belief is different from the next Christian, and the next. It won’t be completely different, but always slightly. That’s the good thing about a belief, you are not forced to strictly follow the holy book. You can talk with other religious people and form your own specific belief in God.

Flag Post

I’m an atheist, so a world without religion would make me normal. =/

Flag Post

Your first link gives me the opportunity to buy Christian shoes, go to Christian college or date Christian singles.

Your second kind of contradicts yourself, as you already noted.

But not to matter, I will not deny that my belief is different from the next Christian, and the next. It won’t be completely different, but always slightly. That’s the good thing about a belief, you are not forced to strictly follow the holy book. You can talk with other religious people and form your own specific belief in God.

Really? I made up the first link.

Anyway, that’s fine now.

Flag Post

I am a Christian… but to respond to your question I have to pretend I’m not?

I know men wrote the Bible, and they wrote with their own styles, cultural settings and languages… but they did all of this under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. This is why you end up with 66 different books, by multiple authors, from multiple times with one unifying message.

Obviously you do not like Christianity… You would like to see fewer people going to Christian Churches… You want the Christian religion to fade away…

I’ll tell you how to accomplish this goal. Disprove the bodily, physical resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is because, in a way, the Bible answers the very question you asked. The apostle Paul asks a “what if” question.
1 Corinthians 15:17 “And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.”

Flag Post

with one unifying message.

I think I might have missed this, unless you are referring to there is a god.

Flag Post

I am a Christian… but to respond to your question I have to pretend I’m not?

No, just say what you think your life would be life if The Bible hadn’t been written.

I know men wrote the Bible, and they wrote with their own styles, cultural settings and languages… but they did all of this under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. This is why you end up with 66 different books, by multiple authors, from multiple times with one unifying message.

Give me that ‘holy spirit’ proof, please.

Obviously you do not like Christianity… You would like to see fewer people going to Christian Churches… You want the Christian religion to fade away…

No, I want to see less narrow-minded Christians like you.

I’ll tell you how to accomplish this goal. Disprove the bodily, physical resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is because, in a way, the Bible answers the very question you asked. The apostle Paul asks a “what if” question.
1 Corinthians 15:17 “And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.”

Give me one fragment of truth that Christ rose from the dead. And thanks for saying I am in my sins. It’s great to see that people who believe themselves so intelligent and all-knowing can be so immature. Try and be like Darkruler, keep an open mind, and don’t attack people who don’t believe in something you have chosen to believe in by stating it is the only truth and otherwise I’ll go to Hell (yes, no actual Hellish words, but implying with the sin thing).

Please provide a mature response, if you say “The Bible cannot be disproven, it must be true, what other explanation is there for Earth” I will merely laugh.

Flag Post

Sigh Do you think God wrote The Bible and just tossed it down to Earth?

No, it was written by man, but inspired by God.

Flag Post

Out of curiosity, what do people think the difference would be between if the bible was inspired by God and if it was not?

Put another way: If you think the bible was inspired by God, what would be different about it if it wasn’t; and if you think the bible was not inspired by God, what would be different about it if it was?

Flag Post

Mario – I wasn’t directing that 1 Corinthian passage at you. I was using it to answer your question. Paul wrote that letter to a Christian Church informing them of the importance of the resurrection. So, to clarify, If Christ had not been raised, “my faith is futile and I am still in my sins.”

But you’re probably right, if there were no Bible I would probably not believe in the Bible.
And if our knees bent the other way, chairs would probably look quite different.
What exactly is the point of your question?

Flag Post

Interesting, Syneil, but I think it would make no difference any more. Even if right now someone finds testimonies and drawings of drunkards laughing and joking, making a book out of silliness (leaving aside the many historical facts also covered in the Bible), I don’t think many Christians will drop their beliefs. For me, it is not the Bible to hold on necessarily. The Bible to me is simply a way on how to interpret God’s word. There is no restriction on how to interpret God’s word and what belief you form with that.

To put it more simple, my belief started to live its own life, it is not bound to the Bible.

Flag Post

But you wouldn’t have believed it had The Bible never been written…think about it.

Flag Post

Syneil – I think that’s a helpful way of putting the question.

The Christian view of inspiration is such that if the authors were not inspired, they would not have written anything.
The Bible is God’s revelation to humankind, that is it’s purpose. What would it then look like without God? I guess it would look like anything else that’s not divinely inspired.

Flag Post

What differences are there between other religious texts that were “divinely inspired” and the bible which led you to believe that the bible is the true of word of god?

Flag Post

But you wouldn’t have believed it had The Bible never been written…think about it.

This was to a side-question Syneil asked, nothing to do with your own. I’m starting to question if this topic can really go on much longer. There’s nothing we can say for certain here. “If” the Bible had not been written, nobody really knows what would have happened and if Christianity would have actually formed. The most common logic you can apply here is that some would-be Christians would start following another belief. Others wouldn’t believe at all.