Phobias

25 posts

Flag Post

Why do we have phobias? More specifically, what evolutionary advantage is there to having an irrational fear of things like wide open spaces?
On a side note, who else has trypophobia (fear of holes)? I have it, and it’s kind of creepy. Whenever I look at pictures like the one below, I feel extremely uncomfortable. Am I weird?

Photobucket

Flag Post

More specifically, what evolutionary advantage is there to having an irrational fear of things like wide open spaces?

Helps to avoid lions and tigers and bears.

Am I weird?

The second one made me slightly uncomfortable.

Flag Post

I would remove the second link

Flag Post

I shall not tell, lest my enemies find it in an attempt to destroy me.

Flag Post

I’m scared of the dark. Okay, call me a baby. I don’t care.

Why do we have phobias?

Becuase of the acient Greek godling Phobos.

Flag Post

That picture made me slightly uncomfortable, and while I would normally link it to me extreme fear of spiders. But really, it just startles me in general.

Flag Post

Isn’t there a skin disease that looks a bit like that picture?

Flag Post

i dont think i have phobias, the only thing that can scare me if i watch a really scary movie at night, but isn’t like 90% of people get that? so i guess its not a phobia.

Flag Post

Any small creature other than a hamster freaks me out, and all scary movies, but that’s not really a phobia.

Flag Post

i dont think i have phobias, the only thing that can scare me if i watch a really scary movie at night, but isn’t like 90% of people get that? so i guess its not a phobia.

Yeah pretty much, but later on you miss it. The more scary movies you watch.. the harder it is to get scared. Specially when shifting through cliche ones and growing up. It’s like chasing the dragon I say! lol

Well I guess I’m a mild hypochondriac. A small weird thing on body scares me something bad…yet I’m not scared of getting into fistfights :/

Flag Post

fear of holes… not a common one lol. I used to have phobias of a few things but I… outgrew them? is that even possible? lol

Flag Post

Guess you guys are gay then, if you have a fear of holes.

Oh wait, is that male holes or female holes?

Flag Post

Oh wait, is that male holes or female holes?

As ridiculous as it is to ask that..I wanna know now too….. does that mean you’re afraid of sex? </curious>

Flag Post

I have no stupid and silly fear of ‘holes’. I am not a flawed human like the OP.

I am afraid of small school buses. Not the long ones, only the small ones.

b..bb……bus….es….

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

I have no stupid and silly fear of ‘holes’. I am not a flawed human like the OP.

I am afraid of small school buses. Not the long ones, only the small ones.

b..bb……bus….es….

I’m officially scared of Vanguarde. How can he not be scared of long school buses? He is now my hero and my worst nightmare rolled into one.

Flag Post

I can’t necessarily say I’m afraid of death. I think I’m afraid of not being able to do anything afterwards. Although, when your dead, I guess you won’t be doing anything anyway.

Flag Post

I have Mottephobia…(Don’t laugh)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phatcat:

Too late. ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phatcat:

I won’t. I do too.

Flag Post

I remember seeing a picture of the OP’s pic photoshopped onto a female breast, and then someone make a gif of the little things ‘wiggling’. They claimed the woman was infested with maggots that ’science has never seen ’

I think it’s on snopes.com

Flag Post
Originally posted by WhereDidItGo:
Why do we have phobias? More specifically, what evolutionary advantage is there to having an irrational fear of things like wide open spaces?

‘Irrational’ phobias can be considered to be misfirings of narrowly potentially useful survival traits.

Here’s one of the 2-3 other threads on the question http://www.kongregate.com/forums/9/topics/8988?page=1

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

More specifically, what evolutionary advantage is there to having an irrational fear of things like wide open spaces?

Helps to avoid lions and tigers and bears.

Am I weird?

The second one made me slightly uncomfortable.

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!
Was there a link there I missed, by any chance?
Im not sure if its really a phobia, but when im in a cramped space, I get a bit freaked out. Its not irrational, though, I keep thinking about how I could die if I got stuck in there and the like…shudders

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

I remember seeing a picture of the OP’s pic photoshopped onto a female breast, and then someone make a gif of the little things ‘wiggling’. They claimed the woman was infested with maggots that ’science has never seen ’

I think it’s on snopes.com

That must have been what I was thinking of.

Flag Post

Was there a link there I missed, by any chance?

Basically a girl with the other picture photoshopped in, so it looked like she had holes on her arms and legs.

Flag Post

Wikipedia says:
It is generally accepted that phobias arise from a combination of external events and internal predispositions. In a famous experiment, Martin Seligman used classical conditioning to establish phobias of snakes and flowers. The results of the experiment showed that it took far fewer shocks to create an adverse response to a picture of a snake than to a picture of a flower, leading to the conclusion that certain objects may have a genetic predisposition to being associated with fear3. Many specific phobias can be traced back to a specific triggering event, usually a traumatic experience at an early age. Social phobias and agoraphobia have more complex causes that are not entirely known at this time. It is believed that heredity, genetics, and brain chemistry combine with life-experiences to play a major role in the development of anxiety disorders, phobias and panic attacks.

My brother was attacked by a dog as an infant, and has been afraid of them ever since. So I guess this is true.