Ok, so God comes to Earth - then what?

29 posts

Flag Post

Here is another Vanguarde classic for everyone to chew on with their minds -

Let’s assume that someone calling himself God arrived on Earth, and everyone believed him since he showed some godlike abilities. Assume that the population is enamored with this god.

But..

Then God starts to make some questionable demands of his children… then to downright un-godlike demands. ( Like 1000 souls to be brought to him to be killed each sunset )

Would the people of the Earth bow down to this god, or would they stand up and question him, no matter how fearful they are?

Also, in general, what would happen IF god came to Earth in general? What if this god were actually an alien from a alien species with advanced technology pretending to be god?

I think the best question is would you require proof that the so called ‘god’ really was ‘the’ god? Or would you obey and worship without question.. ( the irony is evolution )

Flag Post

some godlike abilities

Would this include the ability to strike down those that disagreed with him?
If so, I would call this so called God what he is, a terrorist- One who uses fear as a weapon to achieve his goal.

Flag Post

If god came to earth, people would eventually get a new god no matter what he did. A god that can’t be seen. Might take a while though depending on if this evil god kills us all or whatever, but theyd just flat out deny he was the god they believed in.

Flag Post

Simply being powerful doesn’t mean you’re good.

Flag Post

Would the people of the Earth bow down to this god, or would they stand up and question him, no matter how fearful they are?

I would say a somewhat even split, tilting one way or another based on the specifics. There are people who will worship anything if it gives them a half decent reason, and there are people that will oppose anything even if it craps out cash and spits good fortune. The rest will either sit quietly and hope things change or, if really pushed to the brink of survival, perhaps fight back.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Iggyshark:

some godlike abilities

Would this include the ability to strike down those that disagreed with him?

If so, I would call this so called God what he is, a terrorist- One who uses fear as a weapon to achieve his goal.

Well using whatever powers he/she/it has shown in books movies, etc.

So yes, striking down say, a Muslim who refuses to convert using lightning from his hands.

Flag Post

What happens when god comes? I’m going to REALLY sum this up.

1. The rapture comes and saves all those who followed God. This could happen at any moment.

2. 7 years of worldwide suffering as the Devil rules over the land. If you think what we have today is suffering, you don’t know how bad it can get.

3. God comes back and shuns the Devil for good and there is everlasting peace on Earth.

Flag Post

I think if his coming didn’t follow closely with the bible or other religious text description of the a second coming people would not be to quick to follow him. Like if a man walked around turning water in to wine and only that he would be called a show off and not god.

Flag Post

So yes, striking down say, a Muslim who refuses to convert using lightning from his hands.

Then he is a murderer and a tyrant, and deserves to be treated as such.

Flag Post

God kills everyone who doesn’t like the Stooges.

Flag Post

2 hours ago
franticjman
38 posts
Quote post

1. The rapture comes and saves all those who followed God. This could happen at any moment.

2. 7 years of worldwide suffering as the Devil rules over the land. If you think what we have today is suffering, you don’t know how bad it can get.

3. God comes back and shuns the Devil for good and there is everlasting peace on Earth.

uughhhh
what would that achieve?
i mean if your god is going to…
just get it over with simpsons is coming on soon and i dont want to miss it.
i mean fo rizzle?

Flag Post

michael jackson has godlike abilities but noone worships him

Flag Post
Originally posted by franticjman:

3. God comes back and shuns the Devil for good and there is everlasting peace on
Earth.

7 years of suffering? Obama

Seriously though, Atheists aren’t going to admit they’re wrong “the food supply has been drugged and we’re all just seeing this” still, I would like to hear Dawkins freak out…

Flag Post

What if they followed God and slaughtered hundreds? What if they didn’t follow good and saved hundreds?

Tell that to people living in horrible poverty in Africa.

Because he couldn’t be bothered to do it for the previous 7 years. Or the supposed eternity that he’s lived for.

Flag Post

Seriously though, Atheists aren’t going to admit they’re wrong “the food supply has been drugged and we’re all just seeing this” still, I would like to hear Dawkins freak out…

hmm of course

also mario, that’s darwin, he said dawkins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_dawkins

Flag Post

that’s darwin, he said dawkins

Big difference between the two. Dawkins is most assuredly an atheist.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FuzzyBacon:

Damn, now I look like an idiot. :O

Flag Post
Originally posted by mariosuperlative:

Damn, now I look like an idiot. :O

Nah, it’s just an inversion and a single letter replacement. Fairly easy to make, but the distinction is rather important. On a side note, Dawkins is a biologist, which has a lot of basis in Darwin’s work. Circles within circles.

Flag Post

You are basically asking two questions. One being what would happen when an “evil God” comes down to Earth, the other being what would happen when a “good God” comes here. I think the evil part has been pretty much summed up in former posts. When the “good God” comes down, I’d say he becomes part of science. Instead of praying to him through beliefs, we would be praying to him through science. No idea what atheists would do.

Flag Post

I know what the agnostics would do.

Every atheist is different, though. I’m sure you would get at least a few who would claim that someone was putting psychotropic drugs in their food and water, but all of the scientists would probably start working on ways to explain his existence and modify our theories to fit with it. I know I would, anyway.

Flag Post

I know what the agnostics would do.

Every atheist is different, though. I’m sure you would get at least a few who would claim that someone was putting psychotropic drugs in their food and water, but all of the scientists would probably start working on ways to explain his existence and modify our theories to fit with it. I know I would, anyway.

It’s God – why don’t we just ask him? It would save us the trouble of working it out ourselves.

Flag Post

It’s God – why don’t we just ask him? It would save us the trouble of working it out ourselves.

We wouldn’t know how complicated it can get to communicate with him.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

We wouldn’t know how complicated it can get to communicate with him.

He’s omnipotent. If he wants to speak English, he can. If he won’t, then we can find someone who knows Hebrew or whatever the language is that God is speaking in. He has spoken with humans before, so there’s no reason he can’t do it.

I am talking about the Christian/Islamic/Jewish god here, by the way, although I’m sure most other gods would be able to do the same. If you can create a universe, you can probably speak at least one of the languages on Earth. Or you could communicate through pictures or demonstration, all sorts of other methods.

Flag Post

There wasn’t actually an assumption of this being the Christian God coming to Earth, so I think that’s our miscommunication.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

There wasn’t actually an assumption of this being the Christian God coming to Earth, so I think that’s our miscommunication.

As a general rule, I think most of the people who frequent Serious Discussion are most familiar with Christian theology, which is where that assumption came from, I think.

If you can create a universe, you can probably speak at least one of the languages on Earth. Or you could communicate through pictures or demonstration, all sorts of other methods.

Again, based purely on theology, the image of God is supposed to be so powerful that humans cannot look upon him (right?). A being with the power to create the universe would obviously be able to speak a language we know. You are assuming that we can understand what he is saying. The fact that they were speaking directly with god might reduce someone to incoherence. But it’s all theoretical anyway.