Pain

33 posts

Flag Post

Okay, right now I’ve had a weird sudden blast of pain for no reason, which has inspired me to do this.

Okay, pain is useful and all, but it’s a tool of the body which perplexes me. Surely there could be other ways to tell you there is something wrong with your body than your body having to resort to pain to do this? It’s not exactly a great evolution, the ‘pain’ feeling.

And it can obviously be greatly exploited for torture. I can’t stand even minor pain, so I don’t know how I’d manage. I certainly fear pain a lot more than death.

So why do you think the body uses pain? How much pain can you take before it becomes heavilly uncomfortable? I can’t see too great a reason for the body using it, but it’s better than nothing…if you had glass stuck in you and killing you, you’d want to know it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mariosuperlative:

Okay, right now I’ve had a weird sudden blast of pain for no reason, which has inspired me to do this.

Okay, pain is useful and all, but it’s a tool of the body which perplexes me. Surely there could be other ways to tell you there is something wrong with your body than your body having to resort to pain to do this? It’s not exactly a great evolution, the ‘pain’ feeling.

And it can obviously be greatly exploited for torture. I can’t stand even minor pain, so I don’t know how I’d manage. I certainly fear pain a lot more than death.

So why do you think the body uses pain? How much pain can you take before it becomes heavilly uncomfortable? I can’t see too great a reason for the body using it, but it’s better than nothing…if you had glass stuck in you and killing you, you’d want to know it.

i believe pain is an emotion granted it is a nervous system response but the way you interpret it is emotional for some pain feels good and can cause great pleasure there is a limit thou on the amount of nervous system responses the brain can handle after that you pass out.

Flag Post

Pain is just the way your body interprets the signals. If you just get the feeling “Oh, my arm is touching a burning iron”, you might not do anything to avoid it. Pain makes you avoid it, for fear of being hurt. It also teaches you not to do it again. You and me, we generally know what causes pain and what doesn’t, and that we should avoid it. Babies do not know that – pain helps them learn.

Flag Post

I think the fact that Buddhist monks can develop their understanding of pain to the point of not experiencing it negatively is proof enough that pain is just an emotion, as darkninja said.

Flag Post

So why do you think the body uses pain?

I can’t stand even minor pain

You answered it yourself. Pain is a response to harmful stimuli, and by evolving a response that is more significant makes the action taken in response more significant, thus increasing survivability. It all comes down to timing; the early human who pulled his arm immediately away from the fire because of the extreme discomfort lasted longer than the one who was not so affected and roasted himself.

Flag Post

The body is telling you that you are doing something that damages it. Your body does not want this and is therefore sending negative emotions to disinterest you into doing it again.

This was largely answered above.

Flag Post

A more interesting topic is the ability of the brain to suppress pain. Like how i broke my wrist during a soccer game and didn’t know it until about 30 mins till the game was over.

Flag Post

Your nerve system can fail, it will not make you feel pain (at a specific point).

Flag Post
Originally posted by PCal:

A more interesting topic is the ability of the brain to suppress pain. Like how i broke my wrist during a soccer game and didn’t know it until about 30 mins till the game was over.

Same kind of deal I guess, your body is conditioned to postpone the pain response while adrenaline levels are high so as to avoid unhelpful distraction in ongoing danger?

Flag Post

you can also sever the nervous system preventing the signal from reaching the brain or it can be so painful that your brain isnt sure how to interpret the signal such is the case in knife wound gun shot i know it happened to me both of them feel more like a burning sensation(it not terrible its more like just a bodily reminder that something happened i also could feel the blood running out/down my body more than this sensation) until you wake up the next day

Flag Post

Also: babies crying only when they see the blood? I could imagine a couple of reasons for that, physiological and psycological.

Flag Post

Think of a simple animal, like a mouse. If the mouse didn’t have pain, how would it know that heat is bad? Or that falling from a high height is bad? Or that being devoured by a cat is bad? You see, without pain, death would occur. Evolution causes organisms to avoid death, and to pass along it’s genes. Pain helps the “avoid death” part.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gereffi:

Think of a simple animal, like a mouse. If the mouse didn’t have pain, how would it know that heat is bad? Or that falling from a high height is bad? Or that being devoured by a cat is bad? You see, without pain, death would occur. Evolution causes organisms to avoid death, and to pass along it’s genes. Pain helps the “avoid death” part.

actually i think all you mentioned is more or less instinct and ive seen videos of mice and cats who were friends

Flag Post

actually i think all you mentioned is more or less instinct

It’s not.

There have been humans born who don’t feel pain. And as far as I’m aware, they all died in childhood, because they didn’t have the ability to determine what is harmful and what is not. It’s not “instinct” that teaches you not to touch the hot element while mummy is cooking – it’s the sore hand you get after trying it the first time. It’s not “instinct” that teaches you not to climb out onto skinny tree limbs – it’s the bruises you get the first time one snaps under you and you fall to the ground.

Those supposed videos you’ve seen of mice and cats show this – if it was “instinct” that caused mice to flee cats, would they have the opportunity to become friends?

Flag Post
Originally posted by phooltk:

Same kind of deal I guess, your body is conditioned to postpone the pain response while adrenaline levels are high so as to avoid unhelpful distraction in ongoing danger?

adrenaline can infuse the body with powers that can make you live in extreme conditions there are reports of people in war who tool adrenaline taking 7 bullets in the chest and still fighting becuase they took adrenaline shots before they fought. oh and i once got a scooter pulled out from under me popping my knee open and i didn’t know that i should be in pain till i looked down and saw my knee open

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

actually i think all you mentioned is more or less instinct

It’s not.

There have been humans born who don’t feel pain. And as far as I’m aware, they all died in childhood, because they didn’t have the ability to determine what is harmful and what is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_analgia

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6379795/

Flag Post

now hold on. i know my cat has never been burned and he messes with everything. but he has never messed with a lit candle. i think all animals have a preprogrammed fear of heights. and i think animals can tell what is going to eat them. as far as babies go im sorry a not developed animal doesnt count here. a baby might fall off a cliff because it didnt know that falling would kill it. it doesnt take a pain response to understand that falling is dangerous really. oh and living in the wild is different than being domesticated. i dont think anyone here has ever directly hurt a mouse but do u think one would try to get away from you. and i could find no evidence that they died in child hood the children that had congenital pain disorders

Flag Post

I honestly have a hard time deciphering your posts, darkninja. Your posts would be a lot easier to read if you used punctuation.

Flag Post
Originally posted by amishdemon:
Originally posted by phooltk:

adrenaline can infuse the body with powers that can make you live in extreme conditions there are reports of people in war who tool adrenaline taking 7 bullets in the chest and still fighting becuase they took adrenaline shots before they fought. oh and i once got a scooter pulled out from under me popping my knee open and i didn’t know that i should be in pain till i looked down and saw my knee open

Adrenaline isn’t magic, stuff like normal people managing to lift things which the strongest people in the world couldn’t is due to people operating only about 30% of their muscle – much more than that and permanent damage will be inflicted. Occasionally that safety mechanism is overridden though.

Flag Post

True, phooltk. A perfect example is Bruce Lee. While I’m not making him to be the demi-god some people think he was, he was a small man who could perform some of the same action bodybuilders twice his size struggled with. I’ve read some of the things he could do, like kick a 300lb. sandbag at the ceiling with a kick. An unbelievable feet by any standards. Adrenaline has little to do with it. It can mask pain, but sometimes, it’s best for a mortal would (like 5 bullets in your chest) to be noticed soon.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ion14:

True, phooltk. A perfect example is Bruce Lee. While I’m not making him to be the demi-god some people think he was, he was a small man who could perform some of the same action bodybuilders twice his size struggled with. I’ve read some of the things he could do, like kick a 300lb. sandbag at the ceiling with a kick. An unbelievable feet by any standards. Adrenaline has little to do with it. It can mask pain, but sometimes, it’s best for a mortal would (like 5 bullets in your chest) to be noticed soon.

yea bruce lee also did like 5 grams of cocaine a day too when i learned that it crushed me

Flag Post

What is the disease where one cannot feel physical pain at all?

It’s a very serious disease.

Flag Post

Also, do you feel that some people truly ‘enjoy’ feeling pain? I mean truly like it?

Flag Post

What is the disease where one cannot feel physical pain at all?

Look up 6 posts.

Also, do you feel that some people truly ‘enjoy’ feeling pain? I mean truly like it?

They are related biological processes so I don’t see why not.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

Masochists.

I guess the body could never realise that pain can be exploited and can happen when you haven’t done something bad, like touch a candle.

For instance, I randomly started getting a sharp pain yesterday, for no reason I could discover, and it didn’t go away for ages. Strange? Annoying.