global warming

288 posts

Flag Post

Global warming is one of the most serious challenges facing us today. To protect the health and economic well-being of current and future generations, we must reduce our emissions of heat-trapping gases by using the technology, know-how, and practical solutions already at our disposal.

Flag Post

Mmm, I do love a warm golble.

Flag Post

Fact: Golble is the # 882,987 ranked last name in the United States

Flag Post

I find global warming to be a myth; as of yet, there’s no proof of it considering the causes of it can be explained by other natural phenomena.

Flag Post

It doesn’t take much effort to realize that mass deforestation coupled with poisoned seas and massive emissions will have a significant and powerful effect on our ecosystems.

Flag Post

I find global warming to be a myth; as of yet, there’s no proof of it considering the causes of it can be explained by other natural phenomena.

Please give me some examples—the only people I have heard say this have no real ones, and are not well-educated in science.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DainTrinity:

Which natural phenomena, exactly?

Also, please, please, please call it Global Climate Change. There’s a reason the scientific community advocated that change.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dwaxe:

Please give me some examples—the only people I have heard say this have no real ones, and are not well-educated in science.

The Ice Ages have happened. This shows that the Earth is warmer at some points in time, and cooler at others.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FuzzyBacon:

Which natural phenomena, exactly?

Also, please, please, please call it Global Climate Change. There’s a reason the scientific community advocated that change.

Actually Bacon, the U.S. EPA brought that up as a “pleasantly ambiguous” alternative to the term global warming. Most legitimate scientists and ecologists still refer to it as the latter.

And Gereffi, true; the earth DOES undergo drastic changes in temperature throughout its history; however, it has never been this bad or dramatic as it has in the past century. Geologists can determine what the climate was just by looking at sediment and can calculate the amount of carbon and oxygen elements that would have been present in the atmosphere at that time. Since the industrial revolution, the normally balanced levels of both gasses have skyrocketed in opposite directions, and by taking core samples of ice in the arctic and antarctic, they have concluded that the polar caps have not been ice-free in hundreds of thousands of years. Don’t you personally feel that all that carbon and deforestation on humans’ behalf might be exacerbating the problem? And in EITHER case, as sentient beings who are able to take steps to reverse such damaging trends on the environment and atmosphere, don’t you think we owe it to ourselves to try and make things better?

Flag Post

mass deforestation

Article Source that we have less trees now please.

Flag Post

Aren’t like 80% of scientists agreeing that global warming is real?

Flag Post

Sorry for not replying sooner, I got caught up in something else.

My main reasoning is the combination of temperature cycles that do occur by a few centuries but also the alignment of planets which will occur in 2012. Aligning planets causes a slowing of earth’s axle spin which prospects to result in various climate and natural disasters / changes.

Flag Post

Next on SD, how to know if a post is serious! Lesson one, does it include a 2012 reference? Odds are, you can safely ignore it!

Flag Post

ugh

Originally posted by gereffi:

The Ice Ages have happened. This shows that the Earth is warmer at some points in time, and cooler at others.

uuugggghhhh

Originally posted by Marh:

Aren’t like 80% of scientists agreeing that global warming is real?

closer to 90 now

Flag Post

I think it’s massively overblown and unfairly awarded armageddon status…

No one has provided proof humans have anything to do with it, or that they don’t. No one’s seen it and recorded it properly before, so no one knows what’s causing it, or what isn’t. No one has the first idea what changes (or lack of) will occur in the next 10 years, let alone 100. And no one even knows how much each gas contributes towards the ‘greenhouse effect’. I won’t treat it as anything to be worried about until I see some proper science, and facts if possible – but right now, all serious discussion seems to be drowned out by hysteria and misinformation…

I’m all for efforts to slow or reverse deforestation and habitat destruction, though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gereffi:

True, but how often have temperatures been influenced by the massive emissions of greenhouse gases released by humans since the industrial age? There is certainly a factor today that was not present in the past, and to completely discount this seems rather silly.

Originally posted by Eggy:

mass deforestation

Article Source that we have less trees now please.

We are losing Earth’s greatest biological treasures just as we are beginning to appreciate their true value. Rainforests once covered 14% of the earth’s land surface; now they cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be consumed in less than 40 years.

Rainforests.

About three-quarters of the anthropogenic emissions of CO2 to the atmosphere during the past 20 years is due to fossil fuel burning. The rest is predominantly due to land-use change, especially deforestation.

Climate Change 2001

No one has provided proof humans have anything to do with it, or that they don’t. No one’s seen it and recorded it properly before, so no one knows what’s causing it, or what isn’t.

See above link.

Flag Post

saints beaten me to it a bit but

Originally posted by NeilSenna:

I think it’s massively overblown and unfairly awarded armageddon status…

No one has provided proof humans have anything to do with it, or that they don’t. No one’s seen it and recorded it properly before, so no one knows what’s causing it, or what isn’t. No one has the first idea what changes (or lack of) will occur in the next 10 years, let alone 100. And no one even knows how much each gas contributes towards the ‘greenhouse effect’. I won’t treat it as anything to be worried about until I see some proper science, and facts if possible – but right now, all serious discussion seems to be drowned out by hysteria and misinformation…

I’m all for efforts to slow or reverse deforestation and habitat destruction, though.

it’s not overblown

scientists are accurate enough now to see the affects of humans compared to natural things

predictions over the last 50 years have been FAIRLY accurate most of the time, and the equipment used is advancing at a massive rate, so predictions are just getting more and more accurate, although still very hard to predict and scientists will admit they can’t be completely accurate

it might not seem like there’s massive changes in temperature, but it is affecting things

http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/2176

The best possible way to see climate change is our oceans, with them being 4km deep or there abouts, it’ll take time to affect air temperature, but just look at the devastating effect on polar ice caps recently.

Flag Post

can’t do quotes properly on this site :( so I’ll do them like this…

Saint – no actual proof there, just opinion and information.

Conco – Antarctica is (I think) gaining mass, and over 90%… maybe over 95%, of the continent has a stable long-term temperature. A tiny little peninsula is getting warmer, nothing more.

We could go on forever throwing conflicting opinions around – I actually don’t believe humans have no impact on it (I think they have some, just not as much as is widely claimed. But like I said – I won’t worry until I see proof, and proof is what’s lacking. I’d rather put the energy from the part of my brain which worries into worrying about things that are real, and not things which might be.

Flag Post

The link shows opinion and information, but no actual proof that humans cause it…

Can you read?

Changes in climate occur as a result of both internal variability within the climate system and external factors (both natural and anthropogenic). The influence of external factors on climate can be broadly compared using the concept of radiative forcing8. A positive radiative forcing, such as that produced by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases, tends to warm the surface. A negative radiative forcing, which can arise from an increase in some types of aerosols (microscopic airborne particles) tends to cool the surface. Natural factors, such as changes in solar output or explosive volcanic activity, can also cause radiative forcing. Characterisation of these climate forcing agents and their changes over time (see Figure 2) is required to understand past climate changes in the context of natural variations and to project what climate changes could lie ahead. Figure 3 shows current estimates of the radiative forcing due to increased concentrations of atmospheric constituents and other mechanisms.

Then:

Concentrations of atmospheric greenhouse gases and their radiative forcing have continued to increase as a result of human activities.

Also, click the link on the bottom. What I linked was only one page of one report among many.

Flag Post

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/climate-change-at-the-poles-bisb-manmade-980256.html

Flag Post

And yes, I can read. And it’s the opinion of whoever wrote the report. I don’t think even the strongest campaigners believe conclusive proof exists right now…

Flag Post

So the majority of scientists are lying or wrong? Interesting position to take. I guess evolution is make believe as well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

So the majority of scientists are lying or wrong? Interesting position to take. I guess evolution is make believe as well.

Haha.

No, there’s proof of evolution.

Flag Post

No, there’s proof of evolution.

The entirety of the God threads weep at your stunning dissertation.

Flag Post

The entirety of the God threads weep at your stunning dissertation.

Wahahhahah. I should cry now….