President Obama (locked)

727 posts

Flag Post

I have’nt really been up to date With this whole Obama-Buisness. I honestly did’nt vote for him because he just did’nt do it for me. IS he a Good president a bad president. Please inform me, since my newspaper boy is on vacation, and our cable has been out for like a week :( Smileys Sniper

Flag Post

Erm, I wouldn’t know yet. Let’s wait a few months.

Flag Post

It’s a bit soon to tell.

Flag Post

I think he already has done better than Bush because of his steps to close down Guantanamo

Flag Post

Well, he told us that each bill would be on the internet for 5 days before it was signed, but hasn’t done so.

Flag Post

I don’t know.

If you compare the approval ratings of Bush to Obama at this time in their Presidency, Bush’s was actually higher. Bush had a 68%, with Obama at 59%. Predicting he could be worse than Bush. Yet it is too soon too tell.

Flag Post

Obama has actually done a few things in office already. As itipt stated, he is attempting to put Guantanamo out of commission. We are all well aware of his ambitions on stem cell research funding. A few weeks ago, he signed a bill giving more time to file charges for discrimination in the workplace. He’s going to have a hard time in office, but I’m hopeful that he’ll do well.

Flag Post

I honestly did’nt vote for him because he just did’nt do it for me.

Well, I dont want anyone to do it for me, I want to do it myself, that is of course with my girlfriend. :D

(dont worry, im just pointing out your lack of giving information that might get the wrong ideas)

I think he already has done better than Bush because of his steps to close down Guantanamo

good first step, now to close down all the ones in Europe

oh right, they don’t tell you about those ones, do they, or even the ones in Iraq where those famous pictures were from.

To end injustice is one thing, to keep it out of the public eye is misinformative propaganda.

Flag Post

Maybe its a good thing he isn’t throwing all of it at us. Bush seemed too wrapped up in Iraq-istan to worry about the crumbling United States he was supposed to be leading. I’m personally happy that Obama wants to end the war in Iraq. I do have to bring up, though, that with the largest portion of soldiers home, the already poor job market will be even worse.

Flag Post

Thankfully, he is keeping the secret NSA torture camps open in countries that are allowing them to take place.

Flag Post

Maybe its a good thing he isn’t throwing all of it at us.

I’d rather know than stick my head in the sand and pretend it isn’t so.

Bush seemed too wrapped up in Iraq-istan to worry about the crumbling United States he was supposed to be leading.

Get a map. Or a Globe.

I do have to bring up, though, that with the largest portion of soldiers home, the already poor job market will be even worse.

You realise that they aren’t being discharged from service? That they’ll still be on active duty within the military for the duration of their contracts and then pressured into re-signing?

Flag Post

I really do respect Obama, although he does not always stick to ideals like I had hoped he would (but what is to be expected from a man in a practical position?) I find it very honorable of him to try to show the American people that we can’t forsake human rights for paranoia, and hope he continues to do so. Yet most of all, I find it most redeeming that, even in his first week of office, he was willing to flat-out admit that he had made mistakes, instead of creating an endless tower of fallacious rationalizations like Bush did.

Flag Post
Originally posted by itipt:

Yeah, he released terrorists into the USA and back to the Middle East without trials. Nice move.

Guantanamo Bay should have been kept. I’m not saying that we should have continued to torture its captives, but Guantanamo was a great place to keep dangerous enemies outside of the country, yet still close by.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gereffi:

Yeah, he released terrorists into the USA and back to the Middle East without trials. Nice move.

Guantanamo Bay should have been kept. I’m not saying that we should have continued to torture its captives, but Guantanamo was a great place to keep dangerous enemies outside of the country, yet still close by.

No, we are giving all the detainees a trial now, and they will be imprisoned in prisons on the continent if they are convicted. The whole atrocity of the thing is that we were able to hold them indefinitely without trial. That is just an outright denial of human rights.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mxmm:

No, we are giving all the detainees a trial now, and they will be imprisoned in prisons on the continent if they are convicted. The whole atrocity of the thing is that we were able to hold them indefinitely without trial. That is just an outright denial of human rights.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean we can’t just change Guantanamo policies. We don’t have to close something at such a strategic location to the country.

And not all of them are getting trials.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mxmm:

It is also an outright denial of human rights to drive a plane into a skyscraper.

Flag Post

theres the propaganda again

You haven’t even met the people there, how can you call them terrorists? IF anyone should be called terrorists, it should be the governments and corporate media that spread the fear to increase consumer spending.

If only every met everyone in the world, I would think there would be a lot less fighting.

“Lets attack the (insert country here)!”

“Are you kidding, i know those people! Most are real nice”

Stop taken the human aspect out of war, remember the other side is just as human as you are.

Flag Post

Yes, but many wars begin due to hatred of the other country’s government, not the people. U.S. revolution, Most of the French-British wars of long ago, and many of the wars in Africa.

Flag Post

If only every met everyone in the world, I would think there would be a lot less fighting.
Stop taken the human aspect out of war, remember the other side is just as human as you are.

What of countries that are already under attack? Is it inhuman to remove the invaders via force in your opinion?

Flag Post

that same argument works on you pmr. How do you now they arent terrorist, how can you say they arent terrorist. Like it or not, we have to put some trust in the government, b/c thats how it works.

Flag Post
Originally posted by pmr0078:

You haven’t even met the people there, how can you call them terrorists? IF anyone should be called terrorists, it should be the governments and corporate media that spread the fear to increase consumer spending.

What is that stat again, something like 90% of child rape victims are raped by someone they knew?

Flag Post

You haven’t met the people there, how can you not call them terrorists? If anyone should be called terrorists it should be the people that hijacked planes and flew them into buildings, and the people that funded them and trained them such as the ones that are in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We didn’t “Attack Iraq/Afghanistan”. We attacked certain elements that were specifically not the ones that were “real nice”.

The other side likes to behead people. As far as I’m concerned they are less than human.

Flag Post

How is that propaganda? Keeping a base in Cuba is great for national security. And there are lots of detainees that are being let free without trial. They were imprisoned for a reason.

And what are you talking about with this whole war thing? Take the American Civil War, or our Revolutionary War. You think people didn’t have friends and family fighting on the other side? People tend to find their cause more important than being friends with their opponents.

Flag Post

Civil war, good point

Flag Post

that same argument works on you pmr. How do you now they arent terrorist, how can you say they arent terrorist. Like it or not, we have to put some trust in the government, b/c thats how it works.

a terrorist can be a fascist (ex:Muslim fundamentalist) or a freedom fighter (ex:Guy Fawkes)

It depends on what the person is fighting for in my book, if the only turmoil they are causing is to the corrupt in power, I support them.

Yes, but many wars begin due to hatred of the other country’s government, not the people.

still buying the “they hate us for our freedom” speech?