Alternative energy sources

72 posts

Flag Post

We all know there are energy sources out there such as wind, solar, hydro, etc but what about the more infamous magnetism? A youtuber has been experimenting and finally has a workable motor that should run until the magnets fail.

It all began with Nikola Tesla when supposedly he created a motor that ran off of vacuum energy or something and there have been a few patents along the way such as howard johnsons PMM patent. Why don’t we see these technologies?

]

Flag Post

The relastic way is to build tons of Nuclear power plants until Solar power is advanced enough to run everything.

And it will be some day.

Flag Post

While it is an interesting idea, I note that the video creator is unable to properly spell. It bothers me. I’ll watch the video when I can get past that annoyance.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

While it is an interesting idea, I note that the video creator is unable to properly spell. It bothers me. I’ll watch the video when I can get past that annoyance.

I have the same problem.

Go hydro power! (Even if I really don’t have any links or things like that to show why)

Flag Post

Why don’t we see these technologies?

Because if they are true, they would completely dismantle all of mankind’s progress in physics to this point, which I find extremely unlikely, especially since it has not been confirmed with scientific rigor (the guy can’t even spell or give a steady view of the machine at all times.)

Flag Post

A youtuber has been experimenting and finally has a workable motor that should run until the magnets fail.

yay!

I actually believe in perpetual motion.

Well to put it simply, very simply, the Universe is an example of perpetual motion. (just a thought, not scientific law so feel free to debate it)

Flag Post

I feel that magnets are a largely unexplored territory of power. We see them used all the time on trains, surely they must have more purposes. However, this magnetic motor needs a constant magnetic charge to continue working. Over time, the magnet would demagnetise, unless the government using this motor technology pumps electricity into the magnet, effectively making it an electromagnet. So, in effect, this is not a new source of power; it is only a new type of motor (and a very silent one, I must admit.)

Flag Post

A constant magnetic field cannot induce current. Holding a maglev train above the tracks doesn’t produce energy any more than a steel girder holding a building up does. It requires a changing magnetic field in order to induce electric current – and you can’t get out more energy than you put in.

Flag Post

Electricity is produced by moving a conductor through a magnetic field. You have to either move the magnet or move the conductor. You aren’t really creating electricity but converting kinetic energy into electric energy. You have to put something in to get something out and you will never get as much out as you put in (friction, energy lost in conversion as heat). If you were able to get more electricity out of something than you put in, then why not just hook it up to itself and turn it once and get infinite energy?

Flag Post

Simple enough, the magnetic system he created is not generating any power. Nor can it.

Note what he says, he had to remagnetise the magnet using a powerful electromagnet.

He’s probably just sucking out the power that was put into that effort by demagnetising it in his machine.
You get out what you put in, minus inefficiencies, as always.

Flag Post

So it’s just a battery ^^ I love batteries. I want to be able to marry batteries puppyeyes

Flag Post

Likely a grossly inefficient and expensive one, yes.

Flag Post

Well to put it simply, very simply, the Universe is an example of perpetual motion.

How do you figure?

Flag Post

In that it’s an entirely closed system perhaps? But seeing as the eventual result will (barring unforseen processes) heat death I don’t think you can call it a perpetual motion engine.

Flag Post

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqavYG6beSo&hl=en&fs=1" width="480" height="295"></embed>

Now you can watch it Saint.

Just ignore the bubbles.

Flag Post

It makes no sense that the system does not stabilize before it rotates. Now I won’t claim it is impossible to harness energy from magnets, as a magnet does release energy that could theoretically be harnessed, but I don’t see any way in which this particular system could actually work. As Jabor said, a constant current would make this impossible as the system would stop as soon as it reached equilibrium (in this case it would be between two sets of the outer configuration).

Flag Post

Piss power

Flag Post

lol

Flag Post

Jabor it’s the mechanical energy that is used to get electrical energy. Assuming you could get enough torque (stronger, more magnets), you could hook magnetic motors up to a generator to produce usable electrical energy. I am not saying the motors would run forever but they certainly seem to have potential for being very efficient from an amateur viewpoint.

Most systems work that way like a car does chemical → mechanical (→ electric for the car systems)

There are people that claim they already have production ready devices like the Perendev motor but as always, it’s just another month away…

Flag Post

Gah. So it’s like waiting for Gran Turismo.

It’s new! It’s awesome! It’s two years behind schedule!

Flag Post

Jabor it’s the mechanical energy that is used to get electrical energy.

So essentially, it’s like the dynamo you stick on your bicycle wheel to power the headlamp. What’s new?

Assuming you could get enough torque (stronger, more magnets),

How are you going to produce this torque for an extended period of time without changing the magnetic field?

Flag Post

Jabor do you mean when you produce the electricity, how would you keep the EM fields from interfering with the motor? Shielding I would assume but I’m not the expert :P

Ferretferret: Actually it’s more like Duke Nukem Forever or the Phantom Console

Flag Post

I mean, if you’re trying to use magnets to produce torque, you can only get so much movement out of it before the object is aligned with the magnetic field. At which point you have to change the direction of the magnetic field or the magnetic alignment of the rotor in order to get any more movement.

Flag Post

What do you mean magnetic alignment?

Flag Post
Originally posted by LatexDucky:

Jabor do you mean when you produce the electricity, how would you keep the EM fields from interfering with the motor? Shielding I would assume but I’m not the expert :P

Ferretferret: Actually it’s more like Duke Nukem Forever or the Phantom Console

O_O How does that company exist?!