What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?

101 posts

Flag Post

Hello. Many people are uncertain about what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe. That’s why I thought I would create this thread to clarify our (as Jehovah’s Witnesses and myself) beliefs.

I think we should start with why Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t celebrate holidays. Anyone have any questions about a particular holiday? Please post them here.

Flag Post

Ok… Why don’t Witnesses have holidays?

Flag Post

this is not for kidding you: Why do your ppl knock at my door?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DefenderOfSteel:

this is not for kidding you: Why do your ppl knock at my door?

This could be considered flaming. It’s the same reason salesman knock on your door. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Jehovah’s Witnesses are taking a proactive stance on gaining followers. Actively getting involved by coming to your home makes this easier; even if they usually see no more than the person’s door knocker.

Edit: 500th post! I feel like one of the boys now!

Flag Post

Please try to keep it to holidays for now, though I will answer the question of why we go to doors. We go door to door in order to tell people about a Paradise Earth which will be established after God’s Kingdom comes to the Earth.

As for not celebrating holidays, we do not celebrate holidays for many reasons. Most of the time, it is due to a pagan origin. However, some holidays have other reasons. Please be more specific for a more detailed answer.

Thanks for your interest.

Flag Post

Okay, why don’t you celebrate Easter?

Flag Post

Not a holiday, but:

Why are you a Jehovah’s Witness?

Do you find a quantative benefit to your life from being part of this religion?

If so, what and why can’t this be found elsewhere?

Why do you feel the need to tell people about your religion?

Can you prove your beliefs?

If no, why do you continue to believe?

Does your religion have any negative impact on your life?

If so, why do you continue?

Do the positives outwiegh the negatives?

Have you ever thought about leaving the church? Why or Why not?

Have you ever considered another “faith”, or even a lack of “faith”? If so, what and how did it compare?

Why should I listen to your preaching about a Paradise Earth?

Can you prove God’s Kingdom will come to Earth like you say?

Why does a holiday’s pagan origin matter?

Long list to be sure, but you’ve got me thinking.

Flag Post

Easter is based off of a Roman festival of Fertility, as shown by the Catholic Encyclopedia. Yet Catholics continue to celebrate it.

http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=4116

Flag Post
Originally posted by Iggyshark:

Not a holiday, but:

Have you ever considered another “faith”, or even a lack of “faith”? If so, what and how did it compare?

This is exactly why I started out with only holidays.

Flag Post

Aye, I’ve got no expectations that you’ll answer all my questions, but I figured I’d make a go of it while you were here. I amn’t after making you look like a fool or proving you wrong. I’m curious.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PredKing:

Easter is based off of a Roman festival of Fertility, as shown by the Catholic Encyclopedia. Yet Catholics continue to celebrate it.

http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?i…

This may come from the fact that a secf of Catholicism is “Roman Catholic” which is actually the religion I was raised upon.

How about Christmas? Most Christian religions branching from Judaism celebrate Jesus as a great prophet at the least. Does a Witness see him as the Son of God?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Iggyshark:

Not a holiday, but:

only holydays…ok! maybe one topic per day?

but honestly: comliment: holydays is a neutral topic, none can be offended.it isnt important, you get interested ppl. Just answer this single one: Why did you found this thread, for collecting followers? … im a bit sceptic now …

Flag Post

but honestly: comliment: holydays is a neutral topic, none can be offended.it isnt important, you get interested ppl. Just answer this single one: Why did you found this thread, for collecting followers? … im a bit sceptic now …

He stated in another thread that he felt that some people were truly unaware of what Jehova’s Witnesses believe in. I think its an acceptable idea for a thread. But I think the need to stick to one topic at a time would make this thread move like a snail. Perhaps a solid Q&A is in order? Have a few questions load up and fire all the answers off in fixed time/amount ratio?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ion14:

He stated in another thread that he felt that some people were truly unaware of what Jehova’s Witnesses believe in. I think its an acceptable idea for a thread. But I think the need to stick to one topic at a time would make this thread move like a snail. Perhaps a solid Q&A is in order? Have a few questions load up and fire all the answers off in fixed time/amount ratio?

ok. lets do so, good idea.

sry if its my mistake, just: Who are you, i mean, are you an insider or a neutral person?

Flag Post

You have separate reasons for each holiday?
What holidays do you celebrate?

Flag Post

I’m not an insider, but thanks for the skepticism. I saw predking in the thread I mentioned in my last post. I’ve talked to the Witnesses who have come to my door, but they seem so keen on converting me and not talking that I usually don’t let them past my front room. One duo, though, actually coaxed two glasses of water out of me. As for being neutral, I am for open spirituality as long as it doesn’t intentionally infringe on other people.

And if that question was aimed at pred or any other voice here, ignore this post altogether.

Flag Post

was for you, thx for all the details, im a liberal christian and i think tolerance is important but some ppl are great manipulating others being unseen.

Flag Post

Ok, sorry for not responding in a bit. My Internet is going in and out because one of my family members is on the phone. I will try to answer all posed questions so far.

How about Christmas? Most Christian religions branching from Judaism celebrate Jesus as a great prophet at the least. Does a Witness see him as the Son of God?

There is no date in the Bible of the date of Jesus’ birth. However, when the astrologers (not the three wise men, the Bible does not give a number) went to visit Jesus, there were sheep out in the field. In December, shepherds would not have allowed this, because it would be too cold. Also, Christmas is based off of a pagan festival, in order to get Christians and pagans to worship on the same day. This is shown, again, even in the Catholic Encyclopedia. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

Witnesses see Jesus as the Son of God. We do not believe in the Trinity, but I will talk about that later.

Just answer this single one: Why did you found this thread, for collecting followers? … im a bit sceptic now …

I founded this thread to further educate people about what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe. If people choose to become Jehovah’s Witnesses as a result, that is great news to me. However, you can take this thread as simply educational if you like.

Yes there are seperate reasons for many of the major holidays, and some of the smaller ones, as well. The only holiday celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses is the Memorial of Jesus Christ’s Death.

By the way, I want to keep this thread in a topic format, the way it is now. I do not wish to open to any questions and answers, due to the fact that many people have many questions, and I want to be able to answer all the questions. That is why I wish to do topics. I am also a Jehovah’s Witness, by the way.

Flag Post
I founded this thread to further educate people about what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe. If people choose to become Jehovah’s Witnesses as a result, that is great news to me. However, you can take this thread as simply educational if you like.

ok, wont do any damage -

Flag Post

More details on the pagan festival Christmas is based on. It is based on the Roman festival of Natales, where Romans would worship the moon god.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

Flag Post

Yes there are seperate reasons for many of the major holidays, and some of the smaller ones, as well. The only holiday celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses is the Memorial of Jesus Christ’s Death.

Wouldn’t it just be easier to say that the only holiday you celebrate is the Memorial of Jesus Christ’s Death and just leave it at that? It seems like an awful lot of work to come up with new reasons for each and every holiday.

Flag Post

The reason we do not celebrate other holidays have to be shown to others who ask why. That is what this thread is about. What do Jehovah’s Witnesses believe? We don’t write off a holiday just because we don’t like the way it looks, sounds, etc. We have reasons, and that is what I am trying to show.

Flag Post

Which day of the week is sabbath?

Flag Post

The reason we do not celebrate other holidays have to be shown to others who ask why. That is what this thread is about. What do Jehovah’s Witnesses believe? We don’t write off a holiday just because we don’t like the way it looks, sounds, etc. We have reasons, and that is what I am trying to show.

Well yeah, you have reasons, but to non-Jehovah’s Witnesses, the reasons come out sounding like you just don’t like the way it looks, sounds, etc.
Just my opinion, but I think you would get more credibility by saying that the only holiday you feel is important enough is the Memorial of Jesus Christ’s Death and that you feel like celebrating any other holidays would take away from that, end of story.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aneslayer:

Which day of the week is sabbath?

The Sabbath? I don’t know. If you mean which days do Jehovah’s Witnesses meet at Kingdom Halls, then I would say Sunday mornings and Tuesday nights. As for the Sabbath being an actual day, I don’t think the Bible ever mentions the exact day that the Sabbath is held on. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but use the Bible.

@ philnotfil, I thank you for your opinion, but respectfully choose to explain my beliefs differently. I feel that your opinon has substantially added to this discussion.