Pope: belief in Witchcraft is bad

37 posts

Flag Post

Sometimes irony is so perfect you don’t need to say a word

LUANDA, Angola — Pope Benedict XVI, nearing the end of his first pilgrimage to Africa, on Saturday told priests and nuns of their duty to divert their fellow Angolans from malign beliefs in witchcraft and sorcery.

“Who can go to them to proclaim that Christ has triumphed over death and all those occult powers?” he asked guests at an invitation-only Mass in the blue-domed splendor of St. Paul’s Church in the capital.

Morning light flooded through stained-glass windows — a depiction of Christ on the cross in the center — as the 81-year-old, German-born pontiff spoke of Angolans so fearful of evil spirits that they wrongly condemn innocent children and the elderly for being possessed by demons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/world/africa/22pope.html?ref=world

Flag Post

Honestly I think the Pope saying that using condoms can make AIDS worse is a much more ridiculous and dangerous statement.

the 81-year-old, German-born pontiff spoke of Angolans so fearful of evil spirits that they wrongly condemn innocent children and the elderly for being possessed by demons.

Although that practice is actually really horrible, and if he’s able to discourage that then so much the better.

Flag Post

Belief in witchcraft is indeed bad. Which lead to the burning of many Harry Potter books, obviously. Unfortunately I do not understand what you are on about.

Flag Post

While I don’t agree with the Pope myself on some occasions, I’m flabbergasted you disagree that something like this shouldn’t continue:

Morning light flooded through stained-glass windows — a depiction of Christ on the cross in the center — as the 81-year-old, German-born pontiff spoke of Angolans so fearful of evil spirits that they wrongly condemn innocent children and the elderly for being possessed by demons.

Flag Post

“the denial of food and water, or ritualistic cuttings and the placing of various caustic oils or peppers on their eyes or ears.”

The report mentions a 2007 case where a teacher was sentenced to eight years of hard labor after kidnapping and beating two children he suspected of sorcery; one of them died of injuries.

It’s horrible how bad religion can become with the wrong mindset.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mariosuperlative:

“the denial of food and water, or ritualistic cuttings and the placing of various caustic oils or peppers on their eyes or ears.”

The report mentions a 2007 case where a teacher was sentenced to eight years of hard labor after kidnapping and beating two children he suspected of sorcery; one of them died of injuries.

It’s horrible how bad religion can become with the wrong mindset.

… I guess i agree, but it seems to me your making more of a negative remark about religion than just an intellectual statement. A lot of things can be bad…

Flag Post

I did say “the wrong mindset”. O.o Are you trying to attack me?

Religion can be fine with the right mindset. I never stated it couldn’t…

Flag Post

German-born pontiff spoke of Angolans so fearful of evil spirits that they wrongly condemn innocent children and the elderly for being possessed by demons.

What about all the kids that died from the Catholic church performing exorcisms on them?

So you see the similarities, it would be funny if no one was dying.

Flag Post
Originally posted by pmr0078:

German-born pontiff spoke of Angolans so fearful of evil spirits that they wrongly condemn innocent children and the elderly for being possessed by demons.

What about all the kids that died from the Catholic church performing exorcisms on them?

So you see the similarities, it would be funny if no one was dying.

Woah! I believe the above remark is proof that PMR actually does have compassion.

Flag Post

That may or may not have happened. The point here is that they want to remove something that may be damaging for children. Why start to bring in points that have nothing to do with the topic while clearly you see something good can come out of this?

Flag Post

That may or may not have happened. The point here is that they want to remove something that may be damaging for children. Why start to bring in points that have nothing to do with the topic while clearly you see something good can come out of this?

They are claiming one superstitious belief false while trying to get them to believe another

Woah! I believe the above remark is proof that PMR actually does have compassion.

why the shock?

Flag Post

They are claiming one superstitious belief false while trying to get them to believe another

You are ignoring the fact they try to stop the damaging acts they found to happen.

Flag Post

You are ignoring the fact they try to stop the damaging acts they found to happen.

yes it would be nice to stop those damaging acts, but it they dont really care about the kids, they are using it as a reason for conversion to catholic beliefs

Flag Post

Belief in witchcraft not bad. Witchcraft does not=Satanism.

Christianity has no more weight than any other spiritual belief set.

Flag Post

yes it would be nice to stop those damaging acts, but it they dont really care about the kids, they are using it as a reason for conversion to catholic beliefs

You don’t know what they really think. You know what the stereotypes think.

Christianity has no more weight than any other spiritual belief set.

In this case, it’s not really just about the beliefs. It’s about what is happening due to the beliefs and how to stop it. I think that is a great start, and even in Christianity should this happen some time in the future.

Flag Post

You don’t know what they really think.

No I do not, but if you look at history you will see the Catholic church expanding its religion rather forcefully. If you look at all the temples destroyed, all the books deemed satanic becuase they were not christian and burned, is it any wonder when you look at the statistics, (ex: Latin and south America is catholic in the 90s of percent) it seems to fit.

Flag Post

No I do not, but if you look at history you will see the Catholic church expanding its religion rather forcefully. If you look at all the temples destroyed, all the books deemed satanic becuase they were not christian and burned, is it any wonder when you look at the statistics, (ex: Latin and south America is catholic in the 90s of percent) it seems to fit.

It’s true that I myself don’t know what they think either, but judging on the past is rather premature. I think it would be good to at least see such traditions go.

Flag Post

Witchcraft is not evil
Christianity is not evil
Buddhism is not evil
etc

The point is, regardless of one’s belief set, one cannot judge a religion on the base actions of its members. One can only judge the members for their actions. IF the religion in question seems to endorse behavior dangerous to others, look deeper to its leadership, which consists of people. Again, judge the acts of the people, not the religion.

If a pagan killed/harmed others as part of a ritual, they would be evil.
If a christian killed/harmed others as part of a ritual, they would be evil.

Organizations can do evil things. They can be held to account for atrocities. I get that. But in the end, they are all made up of a decision maker somewhere who endorsed the idea.

Flag Post

i think so too belief in witch craft is evil witch craft is devil stuff

Flag Post

Seeing as the OP frustratingly never gives any real topic or reason to discuss the news article, I’m going to hazard a guess: Is the Pope being a hypocrite? I know that in ages past, the Christian sects haven’t had the cleanest record on such things (Salem Witch Trials, the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, etc.). Clearly, Catholics believe in magic and witchcraft, otherwise they would not accuse others of practicing it. Is this a sign of times changing, or is Pope Benedict XVI just paying lip service to increase his PR standings?

Flag Post

I would laugh my ass off if those Angolans actually did what the bible said, more so the old testament.

Flag Post

Seeing as the OP frustratingly never gives any real topic or reason to discuss the news article,

Sometimes people can infer what I’m going at, lets see if you can:

I’m going to hazard a guess: Is the Pope being a hypocrite?

Your cookie is being shipping to you as we speak.

Originally posted by Sharangir:

I would laugh my ass off if those Angolans actually did what the bible said, more so the old testament.

I lol’d :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde2:

The pope’s words can harm more people than nuclear weapons.

Toxic words that last longer than effect of radiation…. How sadly true…

Flag Post

How do you know those children really aren’t possessed?

Flag Post

This thing really gives the Catholics here a “Moral Output” of 0. It is the Catholics who are both killing and injuring the children and telling people not to. It only depends which side of this you look at.