Is there a leading edge of.. reality?

28 posts

Flag Post

What I mean is if the universe is still expanding outward ( and it seems to be speeding up ) what does the VERY edge of that expansion look like?

Is it a wave of energy and matter pushing into black nothingness? Is it like a wave traveling in all directions destroying what was left over from the last ‘big bang’ ?

Is the cycle of reality similar to the cycle of some geysers on Earth, that always erupt at a specific interval after they have built up pressure?

Why do strong hurricanes look shockingly like spiral galaxies, and is that just a coincidence or does gravity do it?

These are the things that came to my mind during my weekly 1 hour starting at the clock meditation.

Yes, Vanguarde meditates. Shocking.. or scary???

Flag Post

Depends on if Super-Symmetry is correct or what.

Flag Post

Is this that whole flat universe VS. round universe thing?

Flag Post
Originally posted by PCal:

Our universe is flat when viewed from a fourth dimension.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Carados:

i highly doubt that because it depends on which idea of reality you decide to be true and how you personally conceptualize multiple dimensions

Flag Post

Space only exists where there is something to define it. The universe expanding isn’t just matter/energy flying out into regions that haven’t been “visited” yet; it is space itself expanding and carrying matter/energy along with it. For example, it doesn’t make sense to speak of any given spot as being the point of the big-bang – everywhere was the point of the big bang, including places at the “edge” of the universe.

Flag Post

Vanguarde, based on what I’ve learned-
The universe simply expands and at greater speed each day. It can’t consume something from the “last big bang” if there were something there, because it is space/time itself. It is not travelling through space as it expands over time it IS space and time together.

Current information leans toward an open universe, which means that it will not collapse back onto itself to create a new universe, although the jury is still out on this one.

Spirals, spheres, elipses, all are natural shapes due to gravitational pull. As a quick example, a drop of water would be a sphere in zero gravity. It elongates as it descends to the earth. Planets are sphereoids due to gravitational pull toward their center of mass, but become a bit misshapen due to their spin and neighbors. Galaxies do rotate but not quite the same way as hurricanes or solar systems, but similar.

Flag Post

Well no duh. THe fourth dimension is time, and if one could view it, it would basically be a infinitely long and wide number line

Flag Post
Originally posted by leo828:

Well no duh. THe fourth dimension is time, and if one could view it, it would basically be a infinitely long and wide number line

*Spatial dimension.

Flag Post

I personally believe that the universe is elliptical in in 4 or more dimensions.

Flag Post

The original question isn’t even wrong. Let me try to explain it:

Imagine an empty balloon. Put some imaginary dots all over it with an imaginary permanent marker. Those dots represent anything from galaxies to stars to individual atoms. This is the universe a little while after the Big Bang; in this metaphor we all live on the surface of the balloon, with no knowledge of “up” or “down” (that is, we don’t know how to move in a way perpendicular to the surface of the balloon).

Now, take a deep imaginary breath, and pretend you’re inflating the balloon. All of those dots you put on it are suddenly moving away from each other – that is, if you were a flat scientist sitting at a dot, and you used your flat telescope to look at another dot, you would see that that dot is moving away from you. Indeed, every dot is moving away from every other dot. This blows your mind, of course, because being flat you don’t understand how a dot between points A and B can move away from point A without getting closer to point B – and in fact, it is also getting further away from point B.

We, being enlightened three-dimensional beings, can laugh at that poor little two dimensional scientist for we know the truth: the dots aren’t really moving away from each other. What’s happening is that the area in which the dots exist is increasing.

The little dot scientist can explore all he wants, but he will never actually find the “edge” of his reality; it is simply not expanding in that way. Everything that was in his reality before you started inflating the balloon is still there; there’s nowhere that dots have been added in, despite the fact that there’s now more space between the dots. All that’s happened is that there is now more space for everything to be in.

(this is all horribly wrong, but hopefully it’s understandable enough)

Flag Post

Phenomenology – How do you know you or anything else exists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfBcYa1K718&feature=related

Flag Post

Einar-“We, being enlightened three-dimensional beings, can laugh at that poor little two dimensional scientist for we know the truth: the dots aren’t really moving away from each other. What’s happening is that the area in which the dots exist is increasing.”

Flatlanders would be proud of you. If anyone hasn’t read the book I strongly suggest doing so. It is called

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. It is an 1884 science fiction novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott.

As for the inflationary balloon theory of expansion of the big bang, our “edge” is a two dimensional(three w/time) structure when viewed at its cross section, forever unviewable to us trapped in 3 spatial dimensions and 1 temporal one.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jitters:

Phenomenology – How do you know you or anything else exists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfBcYa1K718&feat…

We know because we experience it.

Flag Post

Flatland is, in fact, old enough to be in the public domain, so you can read it right now.

Flag Post

Xahlee copy. A better copy I linked in the Casual Determinism thread.

Flag Post

Speaking of Flatland, there was an excellent sequel called Flatterland, if you enjoyed Flatland, Flatterland is basically more of same, with more complicated concepts, and many more puns. It actually has a chapter devoted to “The Shape of the Universe.”

Flag Post

In response to this fourth dimension sub-discussion here, when talking about viewing the dimensions there’s a wonderfully made video about the 10 dimensions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY) Where the 4th dimension isn’t necessarily just a straight line of infinite integers, but rather a straight line of shapes or objects. This is explained by using the 5th dimension which would be similar to a fractal tree, with different possibilities of each decision made. This is relevant because in order to view our universe in the fourth dimension, we firstly would need some very High tech (:p) and also we would see almost a tunnel shaped object that begins with the beginning of time, and ends at the end (if there is an end).
Anywho, to see the “edge” of the expanding universe, I think it would be easier to view it in the fourth dimension because you could view it from the beginning, to the end. That is, if you knew how to move in four spatial dimensions.

Flag Post

i went to some astronomy workshop a while back and what Einar said was basically what he was saying-tho i can’t say i understand wth he was going on abt anyhow. He said that the universe isn’t expanding into something (i.e. nothing (wrap ur heads round that one)) but rather the universe expanding within itself-so the universe isn’t actually growing bigger at all, because according to what he was saying its basically like everything already existing within the universe is shrinking on a level we can’t notice whilst more matter is somehow being added at the seams continually and then shrinking

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Okay, i dont know if this was already answered.

what if we go to a moving platform at the edge of the universe, and look straight in front of us, what would we see?

if we somehow “Stepped Through” the Expanding universe, What would be in front of us?

Flag Post
Originally posted by undeadcupcake3:

Okay, i dont know if this was already answered.

what if we go to a moving platform at the edge of the universe, and look straight in front of us, what would we see?

if we somehow “Stepped Through” the Expanding universe, What would be in front of us?

You’re already in empty space, what the hell do you think would be there? Spoiler alert: MORE EMPTY SPACE

Flag Post

Speaking of Flatland, there was an excellent sequel called Flatterland, if you enjoyed Flatland, Flatterland is basically more of same, with more complicated concepts, and many more puns. It actually has a chapter devoted to “The Shape of the Universe.”

I own a copy of flatland, but i never realized that there is a sequal, is there a way 4 me to see it?

Flag Post

I own a copy of flatland, but i never realized that there is a sequal, is there a way 4 me to see it?

Flatterland was written in 2001, so probably not unless you went out and bought a copy. You should also note that the two books were written by two different people (unless Mr. Abbott is spectacularly old, in which case I’d rather read about how to live for over a century and a half more than I’d want to read about his theories on math).

Flag Post

Ok, I don’t believe in the Big Bang, anyway, but have you ever seen a firecracker explode? It explodes in all directions, its not flat.