Atheist view of Animal Rights page 7

182 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lrdwhyt:

If we find ourselves in need of lots of land, then I am sure places where humans live could be built into towering skyscrapers to accommodate a lot more people, and unneeded houses could be demolished. As it is, with all the houses and the like, I’m pretty sure we aren’t lacking land.

Fun fact: you can fit the entire population of the US (300 million for purposes of argument) in Texas, and it would be about as crowded as Puerto Rico or the Netherlands.

Flag Post

The problem is convincing 300 million people to move. I think the American concept of independence kind of hurts here, especially the government policy of putting everyone in their own home.

Flag Post

Just saying that space to live in isn’t really a problem.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Can someone explain to me how there is an Atheist view? Atheists are not a coherent group.

Flag Post
Originally posted by pacaholic:

Assuming we came from evolution, what rights do animals deserve? I say none.

I would say that when slaughtering them, make it quick.

Flag Post
Originally posted by yargabargayearg:

I would say that when slaughtering them, make it quick.

No, slaughtering them is wrong. They should be allowed to own property and have jobs like us humans.

Flag Post

Planet of the Pork?

Pigs are too smart. They might become competition. The slaughter will save them the pain of nerve gas and shrapnel if they declare war on us.

Flag Post

Where’s the logic in this? Your point is that if something comes from evolution it has no rights. I’m sorry if this seems a bit agressive but are you a creationist that only wants to talk BS about evolution to make it seem illogical?
Please explain your logic.

Flag Post

Something else: This thread is named “Atheist view of Animal Rights”, The discussion is about the statement “Assuming we came from evolution, what rights do animals deserve? I say none.”
Actually the theory of evolution is not exclusively atheistic.
Just wanted to make this clear.

Flag Post

Give animals their rights and when humans evolve even more the new species will learn from us and be merciful toward lower lifeforms ¦Þ

Flag Post

animal rights? why do we have to fight for their rights!
let them fight for their own rights!

Flag Post

Like black people had to? Like homosexuals still are doing? Oh, yes, that works out so well!

Flag Post

When a cheetah attacks and eats a gazlle. Its nature
When a person eats a cheeseburger its suddenly animal cruelty

Flag Post

You show me a cheetah that runs a factory where thousands if not millions of gazelles are raised in tiny boxes where they have to defecate on themselves due to lack of space and I’ll accept your comparison. Show me a group of cheetahs that maintain a vibrant pet community where selective breeding makes said pets unable to survive on their own, and thus completely dependent on the whims of their masters. Show me a cheetah that forces gazelles to fight for its amusement, or that routinely kills them for no reason other than being bored.

I’ll be waiting.

Now yes, what we do is natural by the strictest definition of the term. However natural does not mean “ignorable” or “untouchable;” otherwise we might as well give up on considering murder a bad thing. Claiming “it’s natural” as an excuse is nothing more than appealing to an overly generalized concept; might as well just use God as an excuse for all the validity such a statement has.

Flag Post

Aren’t you in a bad mood?

I dont approve of animal cruelty. I don’t think that animal “factories” like that are acceptable because they are cruel to the animal, not to mention being unsanitary. I don’t hunt ethier. It seems that you are very dedicated to your animal rights cause.

And people(christians at the least) don’t blame god, they blame the devil. Not a clue why.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Like black people had to? Like homosexuals still are doing? Oh, yes, that works out so well!

im saying why are WE fighting for their rights
is there really a point

Originally posted by Zale13:

When a cheetah attacks and eats a gazlle. Its nature

When a person eats a cheeseburger its suddenly animal cruelty

Flag Post

Aren’t you in a bad mood?

No. I’m pointing out that your comparison is not a valid one because it ignores too many differences.

It seems that you are very dedicated to your animal rights cause.

I’m dedicated to pointing out fallacious reasoning. For example, your assumption that you have any idea my level of dedication to a particular cause based on a single statement.

And people(christians at the least) don’t blame god, they blame the devil.

I didn’t say blame, I said “use as an excuse.” They do in fact attribute a great many things to God without evidence.

Flag Post

You have your views i have mine. Fine i assumed that and i was wrong. I was referring to the way some animal rights organizations act well… ridiculous, like PETA.

Flag Post

You have your views i have mine. Fine i assumed that and i was wrong. I was referring to the way some animal rights organizations act well… ridiculous, like PETA.

PeTA is not ridiculous, it just has members that do ridiculous things.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mafefe:

PeTA is not ridiculous, it just has members that do ridiculous things.

aka ridiculous

Flag Post

they should have amny rights and respect cuz animals are living and we disended from them

Flag Post

What do you mean by “Atheist view”? Simply putting “Your view” wouldn’t change much, if anything.

Anyhow, I think animals deserve rights. Some rights. Pretty much, don’t be an asshole, if you have to kill it, make it quick. If you can save it and it won’t be consequential to save it, then by all means, go ahead and try.

Flag Post

Honestly, in the time of my life that I was a atheist, I was also a bit… Specist, for lack of better terms.

Why? In that part of my life, I believed mankind to be suérior, as we were by far the smartests, and for that time of my life, I tended to want to rationalize everything. So, at my viewpoint, once we were the only rational beings, we thus had priority over non-rational beings. Biased, I know, but this is how I used to think, and for the purposes of this thread, I will act like I used to.

Flag Post

The OP refers to evolution as a background towards his view. This topic should be re-named. That is all.