H.R. 1388 The GIVE Act

12 posts

Flag Post

This bill reeks of unconstitutionality. The bill proposes that congress consider certain ideas of which one is mandatory service. Even if there weren’t strict mandatory service, the situation could be manipulated for example, senior citizens get no social security if they don’t serve or college costs more if you don’t serve. Then in an amendment to the bill, it says if you are doing approved national service, then you can’t protest the government, campaign for parties, etc, etc.

Also the bill refers to the Corporation. The united states is a corporation huh? Well I’m not doing business with you anymore.

Flag Post

I did a freshman research paper on Compulsory National Service. There are far more benefits if people can get over their selfish sense of “let someone else do it.”

Also, the United States of American is an Capitalistic country. This is not news.

Flag Post

The united states is a corporation huh?

you just found out?

Flag Post

Kyru, The bad part is that it’s compulsory. Communism basically means, someone else will do it… Free enterprise means I will do it myself or it won’t happen at all…

If you want it done right, do it yourself

No PMR that is not what I mean.

Flag Post

I think all people when they turn 18 should serve in the military for two years. Mandatory.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

I think all people when they turn 18 should serve in the military for two years. Mandatory.

No gays though

btw… this is a joke

Flag Post

vanguarde, why?

Flag Post

people shouldn’t be forced into being murderers…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gryvix:

there are many jobs in the military that do not include using a weapon

Flag Post

It doesn’t matter, you are part of a killing machine.

Flag Post

About as much as your average taxpayer who provides the funds to maintain said “killing machine” is.

Flag Post

Threads like this are what happen when people read blogs instead of the actual bills. First let’s go with “mandatory”. The uses of mandatory in the bill are as follows:

In regards to an educational curriculum. SEC. 120. (b) (3) (b)
In regards to religious groups involved in the program. SEC. 125. (a) (7)
To specify that States are not to be forced to do this. SEC. 189A. (a)

Nothing about forced service that I can see.

Senior citizens are not forced to do this to get Social Security…administers who deal with seniors are the ones being encouraged to get seniors involved.

As for the bit about not protesting and such…no crap. Consider it as a federal job since you would directly benefit from federal funds, and of course such rules apply. This is an alternative to other public services, so they are drawing the line.

Finally, the term Corporation does not refer to the United States or the government, it refers to….ready for it…the Corporation for National and Community Service (circa 1993). But hey, way to freak out over it like a typical reactionary.

Next time let’s read the bill and related USC portions before making silly claims.

Originally posted by darkninja210:
Originally posted by Gryvix:

there are many jobs in the military that do not include using a weapon

While all soldiers train with weapons, very few use them in combat. Service support is far larger than combat arms.