Same-sex marriage dicussion Megathread

436 posts

Flag Post

As some of you know Vermont has recently vetoed the decision to make same-sex marriage illegal, therefore joining the states that have decided to allow same-sex marriage.
(Here is the link)
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/07/same.sex.marriage/index.html

Personally, I’m agaisnt same-sex marriage and believe that it should be illegal. I’m curious as to how the rest of Kongregate feels about it. Feel free to post your opinion but keep it professional and avoid flame wars.
(Official rules still apply
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/9/topics/9088
Don’t break any of them)

 
Flag Post

Any explanation as to why you’re against it?

 
Flag Post

I just don’t believe that it’s right. Part of it being against my religion, and mostly because I believe that it’s wrong.

 
Flag Post

100% support gay marriage. Things have changed since the Biblical days, when it was basically just absurd to even think of two married men/women. The Bible forbids gay sex (Lev 18:22) but makes no reference to gay marriage. Most anti gay marriage people would cite religion as their reason, and I feel this is a fatal flaw.

 
Flag Post

Lrdwhyt you never told us your opinion on it. Care to share?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Sobersnowman:

I just don’t believe that it’s right. Part of it being against my religion, and mostly because I believe that it’s wrong.

apart from it being your religion, why is it actually wrong

what will allowing people of the same gender actually do

what bad effects will it have

what effect will it have on you

 
Flag Post

I feel that love is love, and no harm comes to anyone if it happens

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Lrdwhyt:

I feel that love is love, and no harm comes to anyone if it happens

Situation Ethics man. Actually a pretty strong alternative Christian viewpoint. :D

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Conco:
Originally posted by Sobersnowman:

I just don’t believe that it’s right. Part of it being against my religion, and mostly because I believe that it’s wrong.

apart from it being your religion, why is it actually wrong

what will allowing people of the same gender actually do

what bad effects will it have

what effect will it have on you

It’s not really about bad effects, I just don’t like the idea that two men/or women can get married. I think a marriage is between man and a woman. I want to say it disgraces the idea of marriage, but it really doesn’t so I’m not too sure how to explain it without being a bigot against the other side.

 
Flag Post

Are you ok with gay couples otherwise?

What about civil unions?

 
Flag Post

It’s not really about bad effects, I just don’t like the idea that two men/or women can get married. I think a marriage is between man and a woman. I want to say it disgraces the idea of marriage, but it really doesn’t so I’m not too sure how to explain it without being a bigot against the other side.

Nowhere in the definition of marriage does it say marriage must be, or should be, between a male and a female. As a matter of a fact, I actually feel marriage is useless and a waste of money, but what can I do? Marriage is just like a contract, “You work for me for 4 years, and I’ll pay you 1 million euros”.

 
Flag Post

I’m not totally comfortable with gay couples. But I’m okay with them walking down the street together, I just won’t look in their direction. But I definitely wont call them out on it.

 
Flag Post

It’s not really about bad effects, I just don’t like the idea that two men/or women can get married. I think a marriage is between man and a woman. I want to say it disgraces the idea of marriage, but it really doesn’t so I’m not too sure how to explain it without being a bigot against the other side.

Disgrace is a very strong word, why do you believe that is the appropriate way to describe it. :/

 
Flag Post

I’m an atheist, and I’m just not sure what to think about gay marriage.

I think it’s wrong in the sense that it’s just not “right.” I should be able to walk down the
street and see a guy and his woman kissing, not two men (I’ve walked past a car with 2 homosexual men in the back seat, having sex.) getting it on. The whole purpose in sexual
relationship sin life is to have children- “mate”, so to speak. In a homosexual relationship, you
can’t exactly naturally have children with it’s genes being truly yours. It’s unnatural.

(Excuse me if I make no sense- I’ve been doing a lot of stuff today and I’m just tired…)

It another thought, it should be allowed because homosexuals are humans just like us, and
deserve the same rights as us. It’s almost like how we discriminated blacks, and restricted
their rights, but later learned that it was wrong in doing so. Only this time it’s homo’s, and
their right to get married.

But then again, marriage is a religious thing, and if that religion prevents gay sex, then is it
really a marriage at all?

If anything I’m saying makes no sense, I’m sorry. xD

 
Flag Post

So it just boils down to a gut feeling that people of the same gender should not be allowed to marry, with no proper reasoning behind these feelings?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Marh:

It’s not really about bad effects, I just don’t like the idea that two men/or women can get married. I think a marriage is between man and a woman. I want to say it disgraces the idea of marriage, but it really doesn’t so I’m not too sure how to explain it without being a bigot against the other side.

Disgrace is a very strong word, why do you believe that is the appropriate way to describe it. :/

they said they wanted to say it disgraces marriage, but they don’t think it does

this is how i read it anyway

 
Flag Post

I want to say disgrace because thats really what I think about it. Disgrace is the closest word to how I feel about same-sex marriage without being a bigot towards them.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by hokage4354:

I’m an atheist, and I’m just not sure what to think about gay marriage.

I think it’s wrong in the sense that it’s just not “right.” I should be able to walk down the
street and see a guy and his woman kissing, not two men (I’ve walked past a car with 2 homosexual men in the back seat, having sex.) getting it on. The whole purpose in sexual
relationship sin life is to have children- “mate”, so to speak. In a homosexual relationship, you
can’t exactly naturally have children with it’s genes being truly yours. It’s unnatural.

(Excuse me if I make no sense- I’ve been doing a lot of stuff today and I’m just tired…)

It another thought, it should be allowed because homosexuals are humans just like us, and
deserve the same rights as us. It’s almost like how we discriminated blacks, and restricted
their rights, but later learned that it was wrong in doing so. Only this time it’s homo’s, and
their right to get married.

But then again, marriage is a religious thing, and if that religion prevents gay sex, then is it
really a marriage at all?

If anything I’m saying makes no sense, I’m sorry. xD

Your first feeling of gays not being “right” is largely a societal thing and will take a long time for society to get over. Especially as america is a largely religious nation.

Your second thought it well thought and the right opinion to have.

hope this helps

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Conco:

So it just boils down to a gut feeling that people of the same gender should not be allowed to marry, with no proper reasoning behind these feelings?

It’s unnatural, for one. :/

I understand what you’re saying though. Honestly, I get the same feeling. If I see two guys
that are homosexual kissing, I just get that same feeling as when I read news stories such as
Man has sex with horse, and dies. or Seven year old brakes into zoo, and kills lizards.

I get that disgusted feeling, along with the thought “There are some really sick people in this world…”

 
Flag Post

Well, hokage pretty much said what I wanted to say.

 
Flag Post

I don’t see how it isn’t natural, when you know, it occurs in other animals, and there are links being shown in genes and being homosexual.

Your gut reaction has again(well, probably) been formed by society, many people would’ve had the same feelings about black people 60 years ago.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Conco:

I don’t see how it isn’t natural, when you know, it occurs in other animals, and there are links being shown in genes and being homosexual.

Your gut reaction has again(well, probably) been formed by society, many people would’ve had the same feelings about black people 60 years ago.

It’s not about what society feels, (in fact I really don’t care what society thinks about anything) I just have always found it unnatural and sort of disgusting.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Conco:

I don’t see how it isn’t natural, when you know, it occurs in other animals, and there are links being shown in genes and being homosexual.

Your gut reaction has again(well, probably) been formed by society, many people would’ve had the same feelings about black people 60 years ago.

It’s not just from society.

It’s from the fact that a species is naturally attracted to the opposite gender. Homosexuality
is more than just being in the genes, how a child is raised affect this too.

Also, your reason of “IT’S IN TEH GENES” is a bad reason. Lots of things travel in genes-
diseases, risks of cancers, and physical build. If it’s in the genes, it isn’t necessarily natural,
or good.

 
Flag Post

haha, you two need to learn about basic psychology, i know that comes off as arrogant, but i’m not going to explain basic psychology based around society and its influences

@hokage, cancer, illness etc is natural

 
Flag Post

Stop using “Following society” as your main form of reason.

I’ve been against society most of my life. Society’s beliefs are a joke, to be honest.

I am neutral for gay marriage, and whether it is allowed or not doesn’t mean much to me,
being that it won’t be affecting me at all. :/