YOUR religion?

752 posts

Flag Post

I am surprised that such a topic does not exist in this forum yet…

Anyways, tell us what YOUR religion is, and why you believe in it.

I myself am a pantheist. I believe in pantheism as I believe it explains a large number of phenomenon that are otherwise not explained. These phenomenon, in turn, support the idea of pantheism.

Flag Post

Never heard of pantheism. Will have to look it up.

I guess I identify as an agnostic Unitarian Universalist. I’m not going to defend the agnosticism here (since I’ve done so plenty in other forums). The UU part I like because it encourages personal journey and dialog and pushes everyone to make their own decisions about religion.

Flag Post

I’m kind of an agnostic Catholic. Don’t ask, I’m having doubts.

Flag Post

Is that a recent shift? I had remembered you as a pretty firm Christian from earlier discussions.

Flag Post

Yeah, recently I realized that I was more religious than spiritual. I definitely believe in God, just having doubts about nearly everything in my life. But don’t worry, I’m not going emo! XD And I have always believed in defending and respecting the religion.

Flag Post

I am an atheist.

Flag Post

Agnostic with a Roman Catholic upbringing. So, Agnostic with a tendency toward Catholicism. I live my life by many principles of Abrahamic religions, although I do not necessarily believe in an after life or a benevolent/violent/sentient God. I just think they’re good principles most of the time. However my agnosticism allows me to skip rules I don’t particularly agree with, like no sex before marriage. I do not need to justify actions like those, which is nice. With that said, I do occasionally view my actions as sins, and atone for them or ask forgiveness on occasion. I am rather fascinated by the seven deadly sins, particularly pride — as I tend to be a very proud person. I try to remember them when I am committing them, so that I remember not to become too deep lost in those sins, as I feel it will have an adverse effect on my relationships in the long run.

(extra credit: while I am not religious, I find Islam, Buddhism, and Bahá’í Faith to all be personally interesting for various reasons.)

Flag Post

Im Christian, but I don`t really believe in god.

Flag Post

Mike, you sound like me.

Flag Post

I suspect it is a rather common position to hold. Western society is rooted strongly in Abrahamic religions, so I suspect holding those values even if you do not practice the religions themselves is extremely common — if not vital to maintaining healthy relationships with others in our society.

Flag Post

I’m with sprint. Were the only people here who have apparently made up our minds not like you agnostic posers :P

Flag Post

You’re the only fools who have unjustly placed your faith in an insubstantial amount of evidence. :-P

Flag Post

I don’t know what to believe, so i chose to believe in nothing, rather believe in something that is not real.

Flag Post

Atheist.

Raised a Roman Catholic, I considered myself an agnostic for many years and after looking into additional religions, found that none of the explained the things around me in a fashion that science, even the yet fully understood sciences such as quantum physics, did. As far as a belief structure, I would suppose it would be centered on what James Lovelock coined as the Gaia Hypothesis, although this concept was around way before his time.

Now as this was a simple question posed by ZombieSlayer, could we please let’s not turn this thread into a flame war, as everyone is entitled to their beliefs and let us not argue the validity of one against another (unless it’s Scientology).

Pheonix, for some reference off the top of my head, you may want to check out the chapter “Why There Almost Certainly Is No God” in “The God Delusion” by Dawkins. Just a thought, as I said I don’t want to be engaged in a Religious (or lack of one) war.

Flag Post

I suppose Apathetic Agnostic? i.e I don’t know if there’s a god or not, and don’t see what difference it makes whether god exists or not. (leaning more towards practical atheism though, as I generally prefer scientific to metaphysical explanations for things)

Flag Post

McCoyEVP: I had considered picking up The God Delusion but then read some mediocre reviews that said that Dawkins did a very poor job of sufficiently defending his position and spent most of the time just criticizing Christianity. As for the other book, I feel like the title proves my point: he has to put the qualifier “almost” in there. The “almost” is what I’m claiming necessitates agnosticism. I live a secular (atheist) life, but I can’t claim to actually, specifically believe there isn’t a god, since I don’t think there’s any conceivable way of proving that to be true.

Also, I think we can keep this fairly flame free. My jab at Darth was supposed to be in good fun and I think he knew that. Plus, it was meant to defend my position. :)

Additionally, because we had this problem before, I want to make a couple of definitions. Please feel free to disagree with me here.

Agnostic: One who believes that we do not (or cannot) know the truth about the existence of God.

Atheist: One who specifically believes that God does not exist.

Flag Post

Wait. I guess that means I’m not agnostic. I believe in God, just not sure what to believe about God and religion.

Flag Post

Atheist. I agree there’s no way to prove that god doesn’t exist, nor is there a way to prove he does, but there’s also no way to prove that the chair I’m sitting on isn’t going to suffer a total existence failure sometime in the next five seconds, yet I remain seated.

Flag Post

I suspect it is a rather common position to hold. Western society is rooted strongly in Abrahamic religions, so I suspect holding those values even if you do not practice the religions themselves is extremely common—if not vital to maintaining healthy relationships with others in our society.

Yeah this holds true with most people, even non religion things. You grow up in the family and they do/believe/like different things, even if you hate it all, and are against it. You will still respect and be part of it, because thats what you grew up in.

I’m an atheist, but I guess I can’t say I’m entirely an atheist cause I’m open to any ideas. Like there was a god, it’s just he’s different too what we think, like maybe just another human from another planet with advanced technology so he seems like a god. Meh, pretty much anything. But I don’t believe in any religion at all.

Flag Post

I believe in Hepaestus.

Also Jews did WTC.

And Hitler was right.

Also, you all should be aborted.

And die.

And justice doesn’t impact to the VC so you can’t gain sufficient offense to affirm, thus declaring me the winner of this debate.

VOTE NEG!

Flag Post

I am kind of like Smigbog: I am pretty certain that god exists (pretty certain, not totally certain), and I think the Roman Catholic god makes sense, I am just not sure if everything about it is exactly right.

Flag Post

Then join one of the other cristian denominations, there are tons of them.

Flag Post

I am not sure if ANY specific view of God is entirely right. And for the most part, protestant churches have the same views as the catholic church, they just have slightly different customs during mass because someone got annoyed with some part of mass.

Flag Post

I believe in a higher power beyond mortal comprehension, just not a specific one. Looking at some of the “main stream” religions in the world have led me to believe that there was indeed a messenger from this higher power, his exploits just got recorded differently and were taken as fact; they then evolved/corrupted as society progressed into our modern day religions.

Flag Post

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html – A great website that gives you a quiz and gives you a religion that matches your views.