See you all in a black hole!

69 posts

Flag Post

So the LHC will be running some tests today again. This time they will be using much bigger power than before. I’ve been trying to research if they will use the maximum power today, but I couldn’t find any info about this.

Here is the webcast schedule and here is the webcast itself.

So what do you guys think about this black hole theory? Sounds a little unreal, like once again media want to add some drama to very natural things. But if there is really a risk for a black hole to pop up on earth and start sucking things, then well… I guess it’s worth our attention.

PS. Webcast is already on, so enjoy watching. :] See you in a black hole!

Flag Post

A greater number of collisions, each with orders of magnitude greater power, are happening in the upper atmosphere all the time.

And yet, no black holes.

Flag Post

Yeah, I also don’t really believe that we will be sucked by a human-mande black hole. ;] As far as I know, even if LHC would create a black hole, it would be gone as fast as it was created. I’ve been just trying to make people read and get interested by this event. This is the biggest experiment going on on earth now and it’s results can be very important for our future.

Flag Post

it would be gone as fast as it was created

Wouldn’t take long for it to suck up the whole planet. :O

Flag Post

If there is even a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance of it harming something, we shouldn’t do it.

Flag Post

Woah. Our woman should be disallowed to give a birth then!

BTW, http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com

Flag Post

Depends if the damage is catastrophic. If there’s a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance of it DESTROYING THE UNIVERSE, then I think it’s a reasonable that we shouldn’t try it. :)
Without trying to sound shallow and cruel, harm to a single baby (or woman) isn’t anyway as near catastrophic as the destruction of Earth.

Flag Post

Thanks for the links CTSG. And yeah, I agree with Jabor; there’s a huge amount of collisions happening in the atmosphere all the time. It’s highly unlikely that they’ll create a man made black hole capable of sucking us humans in.

Flag Post

As a corollary, Jabor pointed out that these collisions are occurring in the upper atmosphere continually. If you accept that the LHC may create a micro singularity or two during the course of the experiments – which is one of the hoped for events – then you also have to realise that such singularities will also be created and destroyed in the interactions in our upper atmosphere.

Flag Post

A billion different things could actually kill us in a matter of milliseconds, and the stupid people of our world are worried about this? Even if something world-ending happened, you either wouldn’t experience it or you’ll be in your lovely afterlife, so who cares either way? Maybe I just like chaos too much? Destruction or knowledge, I am reminded of The Garden of Eden.

Flag Post

Depends on the likely hood of it? Excuse my lack of knowledge in the subject, but we are intending to create singularities. So we want to improve our odds of doing so, then our odds of making one is higher than random occurrences of them in our upper atmosphere? Possibly more destructive?

Flag Post

No, we’re basically emulating the same situations that occur naturally, but in a controlled environment where we can study the effects.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZaminincPrime:

If there is even a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance of it harming something, we shouldn’t do it.

there is a change > 0.000000000000000000000001% that because of your next breath, you are going to cause a chain-reaction of bad stuff, which is going to cause a massive hurricane in the 3010, which then eradicates half the human life. HOLD YOUR BREATH!

anyway, the webcast looks quite interesting. I just hope there is somebody with a crowbar near CERN, in case of a resonance cascade.

Flag Post

If there is a black hole created it will evaporate too quickly to cause damage, but should be detectable. It would be interesting to see.

Anyway, those who do not understand physics sufficiently to discuss this topic, stop making yourselves look stupid.

Flag Post
Originally posted by kirdaiht:

there is a change > 0.000000000000000000000001% that because of your next breath, you are going to cause a chain-reaction of bad stuff, which is going to cause a massive hurricane in the 3010, which then eradicates half the human life. HOLD YOUR BREATH!

anyway, the webcast looks quite interesting. I just hope there is somebody with a crowbar near CERN, in case of a resonance cascade.

Breath serves a purpose. Other then this quite useless machine.

Flag Post

You view a collider which has the potential to fundamentally change our understanding of physics, and may well upset some of the laws we base our understanding on, as useless?

Flag Post

We should have “no science” zones where anti-technology religious nuts and ignorant people have to live without anything created past the enlightenment period. No vaccines, combustion engines, or nuclear technology. This will quickly prove the point that creating even things like Nuclear Energy are worthwhile despite their risk and responsibility. There will always be stupid people, science must progress.

“As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown … I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore…” — Dave Scott, Commander Apollo 15, July 31 1971

Flag Post

I could stand to live without combustion engines myself; they’re woefully inefficient.

Also, I would consider a greater wonder of science to be the elimination by progressive means of stupidity and ignorance.

Flag Post

Breath serves a purpose. Other then this quite useless machine.

You breathing only serves the purpose of keeping 1 single person (aka, You) alive . One single person who probably is not going to cause any nice, interesting things on a global scale.

This “quite useless machine” could help us, humanity, understand how the laws of the universe work, how we can stretch this laws, and possibly break them. It might find a new virtually unlimited powersource. It could give us the knowledge required to reach other stars. It could give us some vital information regarding teleportation. It could give us the last pieces of knowledge required to build a quantumcomputer, and it might turn out to allow us to do things we can’t even imagine at this moment.
Then there is also knowledge for the sake of knowledge. It might help us explain some of the mysteries regarding gravity. It could give us the last clue to a total unifying theory. It could proof, or disproof the string-theory, or ad a new dimension to quantum-mechanics.

Also, none of the risks mentioned oftenly are even realistic. Most of them are not even possible within the laws of nature as we know them.

Flag Post

Also, none of the risks mentioned oftenly are even realistic. Most of them are not even possible within the laws of nature as we know them.

Which brings us quite nicely back to the whole point of the collider: To challenge our knowledge of the laws of nature, and expand upon them towards a more accurate model wherever possible.

Any discoveries made will, you can bet your bottom dollar, filter down into appliactions in practically every other field of scientific endeavour.

Flag Post

Oh no LHC is gonna take r jobs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sasms:

Depends if the damage is catastrophic. If there’s a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance of it DESTROYING THE UNIVERSE, then I think it’s a reasonable that we shouldn’t try it. :)
Without trying to sound shallow and cruel, harm to a single baby (or woman) isn’t anyway as near catastrophic as the destruction of Earth.

We really shouldn’t try nuclear power or weaponry. Oh Wait

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBSG:

Then we can spend the rest of our lives doing REALLY important things. We need more LHCs!

Flag Post

Then we can spend the rest of our lives doing REALLY important things. We need more LHCs!

We totally do

MORE BLACKHOLES :D

Flag Post

Basically, yes. Though, the others won’t resemble this one, they rarely have in the past. Basically, you’re saying we desperately need more paradigm shattering breakthroughs, and to greatly increase the speed of our discoveries :)