External access to Kong API

6 posts

Flag Post

I am working on a multiplayer game. It is currently hosted on my personal site and is a work in progress.
I have plans of uploading it to Kongregate later.
Can I use Kongregate login APIs in it when it runs on my own site?
If not what is the best way to keep the game at both places and have it using the same login system?

Note: It is a multiplayer game and login is mandatory to play

Flag Post

I don’t think you can have a login system for kongregate on your site. Maybe some super hacky way, but definitely not supported.

You can use an iframe game and use authentication that way. The game will be hosted on your site still but can be played on Kongregate. Documentation on iFrame Games

Flag Post

I am aware of the iFrame system but that is not the solution I am looking for.
I am currently using Facebook login to test the game on my own site and the plan was to replace it with Kongregate login or even better to provide Kongregate login when on Kongregate and Facebook otherwise.
But my first round of testing revealed that people are not very comfortable using Facebook login outside Facebook. So i was trying to find a way to make Kongregate login the only way.
Then I realised that Kongregate does not support login from external site. So I just wanted to confirm that.
I like the idea of hacking a way around it. Let me give that some thought. Though I hope Kongregate guys don’t hold that against me.

Flag Post

You’re talking about Facebook Connect. This is not the same as simply using the facebook login off-site.

Kongregate does not have any equivalent to Facebook Connect as far as I know, but yes, people are generally loathe to use Facebook Connect as it seems kind of shady and relatively pointless.

Flag Post

I didn’t suggest hacking a way around it, I just said it was probably possible. Either way, I don’t think Kongregate intends for people to do that (or possibly would even like them doing that) so you probably should consider an iFrame game first.

Flag Post

@delosford. You are right, I am using Facebook Connect. But I still think that it is not as bad as it seems.
@UnknownGuardian. I was hoping someone from Kongregate might clarify this.

For now, I will simple go forward with my original plan of supporting both, and present them based on where the game is hosted.