[Feedback] Proposed Survival Game

19 posts

Flag Post

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forums, so I really do not know if this is the right place to post this.

Anyway… I’m making some kinda of questionary, and I would really apreciate if someone (at least one) could answer it. My name is Pablo, I’m brazilian, and I’m studying games design at the college. Me and my work mates are doing a project for a “true” survival horror game.

We would like to know your opinion about our ideas. We are not actually going to make the game, it is only a project that we need to show.

Btw, my english is not something that I’m proud of, so I will prolly going to make lots of mistakes. I apologize for that.

The game is some kind of apocalypsed world. Few survivors are struggling to live to the next day. There will be a character creation feature, and the idea would be to make an MMO. There would be a city (A big one, prolly based on some kind of a major USA city).

It would be done with the “Unity 3D” engine. We plan on a huge map, where the player will be able to meet other survivors and take somewhere “safe” to make a base. They would have to shove off massive hordes, hunt down for food, water, bullets and new weapons… So you all would be able to travel to a new place, estabilish a better base, or even move to another town.

Would you guys play a game that the objective is to really survive? I.E – Amnesia the Dark Descent. It would have a sanity system too, but a bit more… Elaborated.
The player would not stay all the time hunting zombies/monsters in the game (aka grinding). It would be focused on creating your own history of survival.

The character would tell his story in 1st person, and the quests would be the plots of the story. There would be a “level system”, based on skills like Tibia. You would choose to focus your character on medicine (for support), stealth (to get itens from stores, walk blended in the monsters, etc), combat (yeah, since the character is not a freakin Leon S Kennedy or Chris Redfield, it would be something like RE Outbreak). Each one would have their own masteries, use weapons in a certain way (some better than others, that is), etc.

The idea is mix fallout with Resident Evil Outbreak, and a bit of amnesia.

The sanity system would make you go insane bit by bit. Seeing horrible scenes, grotesque events (some will be random, other ones will be programmed), being alone for too much time, staying without food for days…

Well, I would like some comments, if you please! Does the Idea of this kind of game pleases you? Any ideas that you would like to see in a game of survival?

Please, comment, and help us! If the class approves, we may make this game after all!

Flag Post

I definitely would.

I’d also like to contribute with a few ideas:

a) The Sanity System would cause psychological changes to your character, affecting the way it would proceed through quests and during teamwork. Its changes would not necessarily be “debuffs” in a morally biased, pro-“politically-correct” way, but in a realistic way, e.g. a more “insane” character would be more ruthless and this would make the path he/she takes in a quest vary (sometimes in a bad way, like killing a ‘suspected to be infected’ person or not doing it, or, on the other hand, not suffering from bad consequences when doing something ‘shocking’ like killing a zombie with a more ‘human’ appearance, or stealing from stores/houses in order to survive).

b) Please, do NOT include any “fatigue” system. It’s… gah. One of the things that kill games that would otherwise be perfect or nearly perfect. Penalizing a player for playing the game you put so much effort to make so others could play makes no sense, and isn’t commercially good as well.

c) Feature: Daily “Requirements”. While they wouldn’t be a fatigue system to stop players from PLAYING the game, you would be required to perform X certain task(s) every once in a while (measured in played hours), to keep the “survival” idea of having to maintain your character alive. Example: Every once in X hours you have to eat. If you don’t, you’d start suffering from hypoglicemy and your aim would get increasingly shaky – after a certain point, you would be unable to shoot at all. To prevent players from getting “stuck” needing something they’d need to fight for, teamplay would be necessary, and there would be certain difficult, but always available and doable even in bad physical conditions, ways to get food.

Gotta nab some coffee, maybe I’ll post more later. Headache tiem is nigh.

Flag Post

It’s looks like a great idea for a game but It would be better if the players had to play together to survive because, nowadays, people only look forward to being the best player in the game, and they forget about the real purpose of playing online: Co-op mode.

Flag Post

I would play it as long as it doesn’t have the tank-like controls from Resident Evil. If the player dies, it should be because she/he was outsmarted/outplayed by the AI, not because of cheap attacks and clumsy gameplay.
Also, if you plan on making a game heavily based on teamwork, it should be easy to set up a team; Matchmaking, queueing for groups, server browsers, whichever suits it better as long as players can get started smoothly.
For the survival part, either hunger and thirst should only count during gameplay time (If it’s necessary to eat/drink to play normally) or players would be able to play fine without them, though food and water would give temporary buffs for those who’d hunt for them.

Flag Post

Great project. If I may, sugestions:

1 – In order to create a character, ss seen in many MMORPG games, specially those based in Dungeons & Dragons, you can add a small personality quiz as an introduction of the creation that may define some attributes and compatibility. That should come in hand for your “classes” proposal;

2 – A full sandbox game, such as other MMORPG, may not be the best idea for a survival. In this case, I suggest that the storyline or the gameplay itself to be resumed in stages (or missions, whatever) to accomplish some final objective, somewhat a “logical survival expectation” to be fullfiled. So people can be reduced in groups in order to beat up missions and proceed with some kind of a plot, the objective of survival.

Flag Post

Looks good, I really would like to see a massive survival horror, but I think that just a simple level system like the one from borderlands would be nice, since it doesn’t take the main spot of the game itself. About eating and stuff, it reminds me of Metal Gear Solid… and that’s cool. o/

Flag Post

You could add a character focus called “Psychologic”, that if you upgrade your character cannot get scared as easily as before, get a better persuasion with the other survivors so they could think that is better to go with your character than staying alone. It also could have something like: The higher you get on Psychologic, you can do thing easier, like get over the death of partners quickly, steal things faster, something like being more “cold-hearted”.

Flag Post

Alts replying to themselves? All accounts (except first one) are created same day…

Flag Post

No, tons of friends that I asked to answer to me! And I asked them to keep telling their friends to to answer if possible lol.
So all of them created an account just to reply me here!

Flag Post

Ah ok, thats good to know. ;) Wasn’t sure if it was a spam thread or something.

Flag Post

I would be very happy if you answered too! XD
I’ve started to make the Game Design Document Today, and all ideas are welcome. I already took some of the above to the actual project!

Flag Post

Sure!

The survival idea itself is obviously overused in many games but you can’t help that since that is the whole point. Your game idea is currently pretty close to Rebuild which you should definitely take a close look at to get ideas and see why its rated highly. It has objectives like getting enough food and shelter for people you find and recruit.

I haven’t played Resident Evil so I can’t comment on that part.
Unity would be a great idea since its got a lot of animation systems already built into place to handle a first person type system like you want. As an MMO it might be a bad idea just because its sheer immensity and time to develop such a long game.

Flag Post

Playing right now. Thanks for the hints, mate!
Your answer is very welcome, too. I hope I get more soon!

Flag Post

I’m a Pableeto’s friend, i’m doing the same class as him… I think that a MMO is a long shot… a 2~4 players co-op should do the trick…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sirgallifrey:

I’m a Pableeto’s friend, i’m doing the same class as him… I think that a MMO is a long shot… a 2~4 players co-op should do the trick…

You speak as if that’s easy to do.

Flag Post

Wentin better than expected.

Flag Post

More ideas and opinions would be welcome.

Flag Post

same here too, dude. I’m creating the very same idea. Due-date to submit: 11.59PM (Time now is 8.15AM). Having some issues with the health system (both player’s & AI’s). Lucky to land here to blow off some steam.

anyway, I love playing them survival games with upgrades & shop while giving the game a goal (i.e rebuild a town). Having ally AI & upgrade them skills would be great too.

P/S: any help would be forever appreciated

Flag Post

just something to help you : try look roblox and then search for survival apocalyspe i think this game on roblox will help you for some idea that i want ask you :D