Multiplayer TD Game

4 posts

Flag Post

Hey everybody, i’m new here, and since this community is full of many flash game players, i decided to come here with my game ideas. Anyways, i’m making a online multiplayer tower defense game and i’m stuck between a couple of different ideas.

Ok first off, i was wondering if i should make set paths for the enemies to follow on, and have there be multiple maps. Or should i have it so that the player is free to place towers anywhere on their side and the enemies follow the path set by the placement of the towers.

And the other thing i’m having trouble deciding on is whether i should make it RTS or turn-based. I want to make it so that the player is able to send out the enemies themselves(with their being different types of enemies to send out). So should i make it so that there is an attacking phase and a defending phase, or just make it real-time and let the players play it out.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Flag Post

Real time would be better.

Making it multi-player will be difficult though. You have to learn sockets and that gigantic mess of code… as well as a bit in another language =P. If this is your first project, you should start on something easier. If you’ve coded before, talk to UnknownGuardian, who knows a bit about multi-player applications, and may be able to give you a handy link.

Best Wishes,
-TAO

Flag Post

Yeah, I’m kind of leaning towards real time as well. And yes this is my first flash project, and yes i know that i need to tackle and learn sockets in AS3. I am however already quite expierenced with sockets in Java, and therefore will be making the server Java based, and the client Flash. I want to make this project multi player, because after this i plan to tackle an even bigger multiplayer project.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Arcticblast:

Yeah, I’m kind of leaning towards real time as well. And yes this is my first flash project, and yes i know that i need to tackle and learn sockets in AS3. I am however already quite expierenced with sockets in Java, and therefore will be making the server Java based, and the client Flash. I want to make this project multi player, because after this i plan to tackle an even bigger multiplayer project.

Okay, well if you’ve handled sockets in Java, it should be a ton easier I am guessing (Java and Flash are super-similar in most areas). In that case, definitely talk to UG. Or visit Game Development Room when he’s in there (though you’ll probably have to PM him to get him to respond to you). The Game Programming forum would be a great place if he is unavailable as well. I haven’t done any multi-player games myself, so I can’t actually help you there, but I do hope it works out for you =).

In any case, make sure the mechanics behind your tower defense are good… because multi-player game are judged harder than single player ones are usually. Make sure to especially balance sending the waves and building the towers =). And make sure they have some control over sending the waves (though not too much to the point where it distracts them from building towers).

Best of Wishes,
-TAO