I wanted to share some screenshots of my new project: miniQuest

20 posts

Flag Post

Hello everyone, Now that Ninja Sequence is almost done i’m starting to work with UnknownGuardian on a new game called miniQuest (Working Title).

miniQuest will be a Metroidvania for flash, developed using the Flashpunk framework. I’m the game designer and artist of this proyect and this is what I have so far:

How the level looks

-The game will take place in a single map (not room based)

-The only thing that’s not mine in that screenshot is the main character, that’s just a placeholder i’m using from Oddball’s tileset

-I’m giving all the elements in the game a “drop shadow”, it gives it a certain depth feeling and style that I like so far but feel free to tell me what you think about it.

-A lot of people are using the scaled pixelart style, I would like to know what you feel about that. Is it better to be 1:1 or scaled?

Enemies Dump

-This are the enemies i have so far, have in mind that i’m not very good with complex animations so most of them are going to float, I receive suggestions for more enemies.

Objects Dump

-Your average colored keys to gain access to differents parts of the level

-The book is a checkpoint, when it’s open you know you will respawn in that location.

-The objective of the game will be to collect the 3 orbs and bring them to a door at the middle of the map, i don’t have yet any kind of story for the game and i don’t want the game to be story based either, a simple objective would suffice. (Rescue princess, kill bad guy that destroys the village, that kind of story ^ _ ^ )

-The grave will appear in the place you died (i took this from Terraria, I think it’s fun to see where you died)

-Item description (in the order you will get them in-game):

• Sword (Attack)
  • Double Jump Ring
  • Speed boots
  • Fire resistant armor
  • Bomb (Can do damage to enemies and it will be used to destroy “dirt” tiles)
  • Torch (You gain a light aura that will help you get through parts of the map that are pitch black)
  • Leaf (You fall slowly)

I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel with this game nor I’m developing the next big thing, I just want it to be an enjoyable metroidvania that you can complete in 20 minutes. I’m open for critique, comments & feedback, it would also be great if you guys can tell me what are the things you enjoy the most about metroidvanias.

Thanks!

Flag Post

The drop shadow is great, it makes the game IMO because the gameplay and graphics are rather generic. I think it would be even better if you varied the amount of shadow depth in the level design to make some objects pop out more than others.

Based on your graphics I think the game should be scaled. The sprites are low res with few details, going for 1:1 aspect ratio would make sprites too small. Try playing a Nes game like Super Mario in an emulator at 1:1 versus Super Mario World on Snes and you’ll understand. The Super Mario games has higher res graphics so you don’t need to scale them too much to appreciate the details.

Anyway, I see you already cheated with your main character and surrounding effect. Pretty much everything on the screen is at 1:1 but the main character sprite is at 2:1. This is generally considered bad practice in pixel art, either you put in more details in your main character sprite so it doesn’t have 2 pixel wide resolution or you scale everything on the screen at 2×.

Can’t really comment on the metroidvania genre because I’m really not a fan of platformers. Since your plan is to create an enjoyable clone, maybe focus on the controls and collision detection. This seems to be the weak point of flash platformers made with framework.

Flag Post

thanks for your feedback, the main character is just a placeholder, it will be replaced with a 1:1 little knight :) I wonder if there’s a game that combines both 1:1 and scaled pixel art…

Flag Post

A mixture of pixel arts at different scales would not look good. But your game does. For animations, you could probably create one for the butterfly boss (lower right corner, that big it has to be a boss, right?) by squishing it horizontally to make it look like it flutters. Remember, your player doesn’t know what’s scenery and what’s important. The key visual effect is: what’s important moves. If you have an animated background (flickering torches, drifting clouds etc…) then what’s important animates. The more important, the more animated. That means collectible items should glint or glow or glitter or something to signify their importance and collectibility (it’s a word now) at a glance, enemies should move around and animate, bosses should move around, animate, and look bossy, i.e. extra effort should be put in them.

If you’re going to have spikes (in the general sense, some block that kills on contact) maybe you can make tombs a play element by having them neutralize the hazard. For instance, if that pool of water kills the knight, maybe a tombstone is just tall enough to serve as a stepping stone. That way, if a jump is too hard, or a puzzle too tricky, dying can make the game more forgiving, alleviating the player’s frustration.

Flag Post

@Ace_Blue Your feedback is spot on, i was already finishing a glow effect on the colored orbs (Which are a very important item)

I also agree on giving animations or effects to only the most important. The tombstone as a stepping stone is a very good idea, i’ll have to check once we are in playtesting if it fits though.

Thanks!

Flag Post

That sprite looks unnecessarily big for one orb animation. Could you not do it dynamically?

Flag Post

Considering the entire .png is probably a whopping 60k, who cares, really?

Flag Post

idealists. (me)

Also, 60k is big for ONE TINY ORB. What if the orbs come in 5 colors? that’s 300kb. What if you do that for 10 other items? almost 1MB just on some glow animations that could be done dynamically in like 2kb.

Flag Post

I would love to have that done dinamycally, though, i don’t know if the framework the programmer is working with allows that.

Flag Post

If it doesn’t, he should drop it before you can say “Dang this is a restrictive framework!”

Flag Post

:)

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

idealists. (me)

Also, 60k is big for ONE TINY ORB. What if the orbs come in 5 colors? that’s 300kb. What if you do that for 10 other items? almost 1MB just on some glow animations that could be done dynamically in like 2kb.

truefire, if the orb comes in five colors, can’t you just create a copy of the information and color transform it, and then import it onto a sprite sheet from there? At least that’s how I’d do it… or something like that XD.

David, the engine is FlashPunk, right?

Flag Post

That’s called “doing it dynamically”, albeit only partially.

But yes, excellent example of how dynamic things save size.

Flag Post

Looks good (:

Flag Post

Yep, the engine is flashpunk, we’re looking into different ways we can achieve dynamic effects such as glows and particles.

Flag Post

Why can’t you add glow filters? As for particles, you can simulate it dynamically pretty easily probably.

Flag Post

Why can’t you add glow filters?

Guuuuh, slow. Also not what you want exactly for that kind of effect.

Flag Post

Our shootoff, miniPassage has been sponsored and released. Newgrounds Kongregate (shortly)

miniQuest itself is undergoing a complete redesign that is going to make it a more interesting game.

Flag Post

Turned into a nice little fun game. Not a lot of variety in the moves and the situations, and I wondered at times what the point of the hazards was since there is seemingly not even a time penalty for hitting them, but all in all it’s good fun. I rated it.

Flag Post

Awesome game. I can’t wait for the full MiniQuest!