New Game (The Final Hour) [Work In Progress]

157 posts

Flag Post

The game is suppose to be shot’em’up series but not exactly a keep trigger down and rush in for kills. There will be cover interactions like those you see in games such as gears of war.
So far these are the screen shots and look of the game. The question is would you play it and what do you think of it so far?
in-game:

gun sprite sheet http://i.imgur.com/wo8Fp.png
Thanks for the help.

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Austrania

Flag Post

Platformer-shooters tend to turn into “keep the trigger down” games even if you try to avoid it. Games like Megaman avoids the problem by limiting your shooting capabilities and also making dodging enemy bullets with jumps and movement vital to surviving.

From what I’m guessing by your screenshot, neither of these things would fit your game, with modern guns and realistic bullets.

Flag Post

heres another image http://i.imgur.com/Rhx6i.png

as a response to your statement I would like to say that there are different firing restrictions on weapons for the game atm. Ammo will be scarce and when fighting against enemies with guns you will have to take cover or you will find your health will run really low really fast.

Flag Post

How does scarce ammo affect the game? Can you carefully aim at the enemy’s weak points to kill him in less bullets? Is it possible to dodge enemies altogether without having to waste ammo?

Taking cover is a good start, but how many enemies will the mechanic keep being interesting for? After I’ve killed my 10th enemy by shooting, taking cover, shooting, taking cover, will the 11th be just the same?

Flag Post

What makes it different from any other shoot-em-up type of game? Taking cover is great, but when it’s that close-up, (from your image), what’s the point? You can’t see too far away from the cover, so why bother taking cover in the first place? Whereas, if it zoomed out when you took cover…

How would you describe the key unique point in your game, shortly?

On taking cover: maybe you could have several different levels of cover; high, medium, low, overhead…

Flag Post

Drakim, scarce ammo will keep the enemy from just holding mouse down and shooting the enemy constantly like in other games. You will have to balance what type of enemy is worth the bullet and which are worth the risk of getting close to to melee. You also asked about the player types the answer I have is not all enemies will be the same. depending on the level and area in the level you will have different assorted waves of enemies. Also the place meant of the cover is going to be different throughout the levels. Sometimes you may have available cover others you may not.

Ketos I can see your point about taking cover. The image that I showed with the zombies is just a testing area that I spawned them in. The point of taking cover would be to take a moment to see where your escape root or options are for advancing and taking enemies out. Each cover area will only have a limited amount of health before it breaks.

How would you describe the key unique point in your game, shortly?
Co op.

Flag Post

Off Topic: weather it is a good idea or not i created a fb page for the game if anyone wants to follow its development http://www.facebook.com/Austrania

Flag Post

looks pritty good, Looking Forward to playing this game when it comes out.
I like how your taking your time trying to make this game a success. Unlike most who make one and never update it.

Flag Post

try to make the xombie graphics look really organic :D

Flag Post

Thanks tanker for the support.
qwerberberber I will try to make them more interesting. Its already planned when there is more customization options to add them in and each zombie that spawns will have random outfits.

Flag Post

Posted menu/theme music for the game on the FB check it out and tell me what you think.

Flag Post

I really like the music. It gives a nice sense of the atmosphere and from the screenshots looks like it fits well.

Flag Post

Thanks man.

Flag Post

just saw the facebook page, it’s more or less going to be awesome, but I know its a mess around, think you could go 3d with it?

Flag Post

The art style and theme invite comparisons to the Thing-Thing series. What are you bringing to the table that is new compared to those games?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

The art style and theme invite comparisons to the Thing-Thing series. What are you bringing to the table that is new compared to those games?

Thats a good question. I hope to give the players of the game a whole new experience. One of the major components of this would be the movement. Austrania will not be a simple hold trigger and run through waves of enemies type of game. Austrania will give options to the player. For example levels are setup so that there are alternate paths that the player can take. If your more into jumping and building climbing you can jump across rooftops “which will be very challenging” and have to deal with less enemies or you can go to the streets where you will go up against more enemies. Thirdly you can go in the sewer and face mass amount of enemies but have access to greater rewards. Another thing that can separate us from the thing thing series, though it is small, is that we have different music, effects, artist style, game modes. I have not played the thing thing series to a point I that I understand the whole game. Austrania will feature vehicle interactions on certain levels along with friendly AIs to assist you through levels. Levels will be much bigger then thing thing and more diverse. The gun styles will be different aswell. To be more realistic the player will not be able to shoot while sprinting. As for jumps we plan to have double jumps and such in the game but not similar to thing thing. Grenades and RPGs are planned along with the basic arsenal of weapons such as SMGs, pistols, and assault rifles.

Idk if was here or not but someone asked what will bring a player back to your game and play it over and over again?
My response is that it will have achievements that will require to be achieved over a period of time, co-op beta will be introduced, quick game modes will be added, time trials will be added aswell.

Overall when a finished version of the game is complete I hope to get it sponsored if any will want it. If it does get sponsored I will be using the money to host a server for online multiplayer which will be a game of its own.

Flag Post

new screenshot https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=167743440017486&set=a.136170079841489.11688.135677786557385&type=1&theater

Flag Post

I’m very interested to see how this pans out. As Ace_Blue appropriately said, it is very similar to the Thing-Thing series. Your response didn’t really give much of a satisfying feature set difference between the two. (For example, thing thing has multiple ways to complete their levels, ranging from building jumping to street following, have many types of guns and weaponry, includes double jumping [IIRC], different mods, etc.

On the topic of multiplayer that would be quite interesting as well. I’d take a look at Ben Olding’s Platform Combat to see what he did right and wrong about multiplayer platform based combat.

Flag Post

Looking at the project now the game is moving into the direction of just survival but the maps will be a different style then thing thing I can assure you and were working on some more features to add. Will probably make online multi-player a separate game of its own.

Flag Post

The art looks like a mix of Thing-Thing and The Final Death Wish. It looks like a cool game. I always love a good shooter.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

The art looks like a mix of Thing-Thing and The Final Death Wish. It looks like a cool game. I always love a good shooter.

Thank you for the feedback. I hope people enjoy it when its finished! :)

Flag Post

It would be cool if you could make a gameplay video. It really looks like a fun game.

Flag Post

Ill try to as soon as possible. Idk when though. Coding the game is taking most of my time up.

Flag Post

It looks like it’ll be a fun game, but it looks almost exactly like Thing-Thing.

Flag Post

By the way, the gun graphics are awesome. The animation looks good too — I see the pistol’s slide coming back in the picture.