Game Idea Possibilities

23 posts

Flag Post

I don’t expect to really follow up on these anytime soon so I thought I’d share some ideas for games that could be really successful if anyone is looking for ideas on games they could make:

-Sports Simulation: Right now there aren’t many good sports sim games apart from Siread’s New Star Soccer. If you look at a lot of the sports games coming out in recent years, Madden, MVP Baseball, etc., they are putting players in the seat of athletes and letting them sim a career, like Siread’s game. I believe there’s high demand for this. Another possibility would be team management similar to Smallball or Hattrick. However, the market in sports is wide open right now on Kongregate for creative game designers.

-Superhero Games: Both Marvel and DC are beginning to appreciate the broad appeal of Superheroes. Many superhero games released on platform consoles have allowed players to play as superheroes in RPG format. I think a key with any such game is more customization and less rigidity. People aren’t looking for two-dimensional side-scrollers so much as RPGs where you cross the land and can customize the characters. The recent superhero card game is too rigid I think, where you’re basically going linearly rather than exploring or having true freedom in the game. Everyone gets the same powers, the same quests, the same path, in other words, and I don’t think that’s the way to go. I’d suggest more Realm of the Mad God style with exploration and customization.

-Life Simulation: Sim City and Stick RPG have both been tremendously popular. This is another area of Kongregate I see as wide open, with very few games creatively simulating a life experience.

I may post more as I think of them.

Flag Post

Here are some specific in-game concepts that might be interesting as well:

-Ask questions in multiple choice style test format at the beginning of a game to determine character attributes, intelligence, personality, etc. To make it more realistic, you could even conceal the player values so they don’t know how well they did initially, saying only that responses will influence what the character becomes. I think there’s a HUGE potential for this in games – some like Ogre Battle 64 have used such a format for some time now. It’s an alternative to rolling dice for values like in D&D that’s much more interesting, I think, and makes players feel more involved.

-If you want to get money from players, rather than using the silly energy system that many dislike, another possibility would be to have money used to keep characters from being deleted. Think for example about Realm of the Mad God or Monster’s Den, and how frustrated people get when their beloved characters die. Money could be used to buy extra character save slots, to have more characters at once, or to get extra revives. In this way someone could spend money as insurance so if their character dies they won’t be lost forever. And it won’t anger all the people who dislike the energy system.

Flag Post

In general game ideas are dime a dozen. Not that I want to beat down on your efforts, but single paragraph ideas like this have very little value and won’t result in anybody making a game or being inspired.

If you want to have impact, you’ll have to think of deeper ideas and perhaps employ visual aid to drive the point home. Example

Flag Post

If I wanted to spend that kind of time on it I’d just make the game myself. I have another project going though (writing a book) and don’t have time to devote to game design anytime soon. I’m not trying to convince people about a specific game idea so much as simply pointing out where I see openings for game creation on Kongregate and what some features I’ve thought of are. If game designers want to use that, fine, if not, fine too. This was just something I thought I’d post for any game designers considering game ideas, games I think Kongregate lacks and there’s a demand for. But if designers don’t notice I’m not going to be distraught by any means. Just thought I would share, nothing more.

Flag Post

And thanks for sharing, too. It’s a refreshing change of pace from the usual paranoid “I’ve got an awesome idea for a game but I’m not going to tell you because you bunch of stealing thieves would just STEAL it!

Frankly, once I had seen how hard it was to get people to accept my ideas for free I never worried again about anyone trying to steal them.

None of the ideas you’ve presented are both new to me and interesting to me, so I won’t be developing any of them, but someone else might. Thankfully I’m knee-deep in ideas of my own, so don’t worry about how I’ll keep myself busy in the meantime. ;)

Flag Post

And thanks for sharing, too. It’s a refreshing change of pace from the usual paranoid “I’ve got an awesome idea for a game but I’m not going to tell you because you bunch of stealing thieves would just STEAL it!”

Yes, thank you but I’m ok. You should try to make one yourself, just practice! It can be suprisingly fun!

I wonder will people ever learn you can’t steal an idea..

Flag Post

I was just providing ideas more on what types of games the site could use originally, and some in-game concepts, leaving it open-ended so people could use them with their own ideas more. However, I suppose I can provide some specific plot ideas. Here are some interesting possibilities that I’ll give more detail about:

-GAME NAME: Archaeology
INTERFACE: I’m thinking of a 4-part interface. The first would be a global map which takes you to different archaeological areas. The second would be a terrain you can interact with to try and find fossils and artifacts in. The third would be inside buildings such as a research lab where you can work on and examine what you’ve found with various tools for examination to be acquired, shops to buy materials from, village areas to interview locals at, etc.
PREMISE: You try and find archaeological artifacts around the world. Examples could include fossils, ancient civilizations, documents, etc. What I think would be cool is that when you find something and research it, it then shows pop-up links to the real-world discovery, news articles, scientific papers, etc. So you could have real-world discoveries with information and links to them in-game to be discovered. This could be recent discoveries over the past decade too, like A. ramidus, too. There should be a way of considering what sites to look at and where in the terrain to search also, a way of questioning experts or local citizens to find out information on where to look. It would be a fun way for people to look into the recent discoveries made in recent years.

-GAME NAME: Nation Developer
INTERFACE: There should be a world map to see information about other countries from and take foreign policy actions from. There should be a government control area for settings and taking actions relating to the country itself. There should be some kind of dialogue area for interacting with other country’s leaders, concerned citizens, the press, etc. – which could be visual and show either a scene or television with the interacting figure(s).
PREMISE: You control a small nation on a fictional world map, competing in multiplayer with other nations to make your nation the best. However while this can involve war, it doesn’t need to. In fact, war should have detrimental in-game aspects where both countries get weakened and vulnerable. There should be a large variety of political settings with which to design the country’s government model. Examples include political type (direct democracy, representative democracy, dictatorship, parliamentary dictatorship), minimum wage, business regulations (on CEO pay, business practices, etc.), trade (free, tariffs – and if so with whom based on what), freedoms provided (speech, religion, press, etc.), etc. As the country grows you get money to spend on infrastructure projects, technology, business grants, military development, etc. You can interact peacefully with neighboring countries and seek to grow peacefully, by convincing other countries to become territories (if multiplayer they could retain some independence but have to abide within certain settings like political type or minimum wage – thus attractive to countries of like type), economically, by purchasing other countries as land (perhaps NPC countries on the map), or through war (which would make one vulnerable to attack from others). There should be a lot of complexity and in-game effects from different choices – for example restricting press freedoms could result in populace anger and petitions/protests, a lower minimum wage could result in more hiring but money concentration among the rich and a higher minimum wage businesses failing and fewer workers hired, trade restrictions could result in more in-country business development but higher costs on materials, etc.

I tend to think of very complex game ideas though, so not many people would be able to do these justice, is my worry. You’d need someone who knew what they were doing designing the game. So I reserve the right to make my own game versions later if good versions aren’t made.

Flag Post

More game possibilities (I’m just writing them down as I think of them):

-GAME NAME: Total Blackout
INTERFACE: I’m recommending a top-down approach of someone going through towns looking for supplies, talking to people, etc. A sidebar could have an actions menu, information about time/health/status, etc. Once in-game checkpoints are hit, then game events could be triggered to widen the map from a local town to state-wide. Both of my in-game concepts (2nd post) could be useful here.
PREMISE: An unusual meteor shower has just caused electricity worldwide to go out. You play the role of a character who must go outside (randomly generated towns recommended) and decide where you’re going to stay, what items to seek to acquire (and currency in the game should be more a matter of trading/bartering), how to get food, convincing others to join your party, etc. I’d like to see the game more open-ended rather than following a given script, so that it’s not easy to figure out what should be done or how to do anything. Rather, players should feel like they’re going blind and trying to figure things out as they go.

-GAME NAME: Two Worlds
INTERFACE: The first interface should probably just be a screen asking questions on Earth, with simple multiple choice options at the bottom of the screen and some basic pictures illustrating what the results are at the top, along with a status sidebar on the left for the characters. The second should be the main screen, once arriving on the new planet. I would favor a 2nd-person view so that you’re looking forward at forested area where you’ve arrived, and looking around in 3D to explore, with enemies who can attack at any time. Once attacked though, combat could occur in another interface (perhaps top-down, turn-based), or slow motion, with characters allowed to determine actions one by one in response to combat.
PREMISE: The game should actually take place on two planets. The first, Earth, should have a simplistic interface. You choose party members (friends) and answer some questions to get values for them. However, it should look at first like it will be a modern sim, where you are answering questions to develop characters who will be successful in life, as they develop towards careers. Then, after X days, an in-game event results in them visiting an area where they get teleported to another planet. Suddenly the skills become necessary for survival there, in a D&D type environment. They land out in the wilderness, and are forced to survive and look for nearby towns (should be randomly generated) to get away from the goblins/orcs/etc. that are nearby. It’d be like getting thrown into a wilderness and trying to survive your way to civilization, and then developing a party that can explore with hopes of reaching Earth again.

-GAME NAME: King David
INTERFACE: I think this could be done in similar format to a MUD, but just with one-player. Basically all text descriptions with multiple choice options and a sidebar showing health/stats/inventory. Perhaps simple visuals of trees or cliffs could show at the top given the terrain, or pictures of enemies/NPCs as appropriate, in a top box.
PREMISE: You play King David, being hunted by King Saul and an entire country across the country of Israel and maybe even neighboring territories starting from about 1 Samuel 22. Basically you need to forage and find new warriors. It could include hunting for food, keeping the population safe, returning to the area with your troops, moving from place to place with them, and fighting Saul’s men or Phillistines/enemy nations that show up. Looking for intel across the map. Being in certain locations could trigger Bible story events.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

Thankfully I’m knee-deep in ideas of my own, so don’t worry about how I’ll keep myself busy in the meantime. ;)

That’s one thing a lot of “idea guys” don’t realize. Even though they could very well be brimming with amazing ideas, most game developers are what they are because they also are full of ideas. The idea guys are best off picking up a programming language, because it’s very rewarding to watch your own ideas come to life.

Flag Post

I usually have trouble thinking of good stories for games. Actually, maybe I just have trouble executing those storylines.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

Thankfully I’m knee-deep in ideas of my own, so don’t worry about how I’ll keep myself busy in the meantime. ;)

That’s one thing a lot of “idea guys” don’t realize. Even though they could very well be brimming with amazing ideas, most game developers are what they are because they also are full of ideas. The idea guys are best off picking up a programming language, because it’s very rewarding to watch your own ideas come to life.

I actually took C++, QBasic, and Visual Basic in college, and I still have a lot of my textbooks. I know HTML and CSS as well. And I have experimented with game design programs in the past, also. I just don’t want to spend that much time on it any time soon. Like I said, I’m working on a 2012 update to my 2010 eBook, except now I have time to publish it formally:

http://www.slideshare.net/Jzyehoshua/the-zambrano-report

Right now this takes priority. I’ve just been running into difficulties getting a new computer up and running (some unmountable boot volume error) which has the software on it I need to write the book, so I’m venting a bit on Kongregate in the meantime. Anyway, coding is a lot of work and I don’t have energy for it. Writing on the other hand is easy for me and fun.

I never described myself as an “idea guy”. I just figured I’d share my ideas since I think these would be cool games to see on Kongregate at some point. I have no intention of devoting the kind of time it would take to learn Flash coding in the near future, so I thought I’d share some ideas.

Flag Post

A large portion of the games I see made on Kongregate are not original in any way, shape, or form. Tower Defense games are a dime a dozen, as are the tired energy system games which use the exact same design each time. I honestly think most game designers don’t have good ideas and are having trouble finding concepts people would like, because most games, like I said, do not show originality or uniqueness. I think it’s like politics – everybody knows the theories from the major parties, some major designs that are used, but you have very few people with brand new ideas. Look at the Republicans and Democrats, you have very few good, original ideas on fixing the economy from either party.

Flag Post

I disagree, partly. First, tower defense is a genre, I don’t see you dissing shmups or platformers for the sole reason that many games have been made in those genres. Second, Evony clones with exponentially long building times that are basically re-skins of each other are not original, granted, but they are not meant to be. They’re formulaic because the formula works. They’re not trying to break new grounds in terms of design or gameplay, they’re trying to make a maximum of money with a minimum of effort. You can think what you want about the approach, but you have to judge it on its own terms.

Indie designers do not make those game, though. They take their quirky ideas and make games out of them. Also, you don’t have to justify just because you’re posting game ideas. They’re your ideas, feel free to expose them. I even like some of them. The biblical RTS had me laughing out loud.

As a gesture of goodwill, here’s an idea of my own that I don’t think I’ll ever develop into a game:

Factory: Puzzle / resource management game.
The game is divided into levels, each level is independent from the others. In each level, your goal is to produce a number of items in your factory. Problem is: your ‘factory’ is actually an empty warehouse. You have to buy raw materials and machines to produce and store energies of different types (heat, electrical, and mechanical) and craft raw materials into finished products.
The factory floor is divided into tiles, which can be used to pile on items, or place machinery. You can only craft the simplest tools yourself, everything else has to be made by machines. A machine take components from up to 3 bins around it and, assuming it’s being supplied with the proper type of energy, spits the crafted product out the side. That side could be the component bin of another machine, thus allowing chained craftings. You must work on a fixed budget to produce the required number of items of the required type before a time limit expires. You may build your own machines or buy them. You may also sell anything that gets produced.

Flag Post

New idea I think people might find interesting. “Badge Master” was a huge hit. I’m suggesting a similar game, but a bit more fine-tuned. Basically the idea is for the game to just check a person’s favorites for what tags/categories they have the most of, and then search for new games to recommend based on these criteria. It should recommend in proportion to the tag popularity. If they have more strategy games favorited, more strategy games get recommended. More shooter categories then more shooters recommended, etc. It could even be more likely to recommend games with multiple categories in favorites. Since it’s possible to do this manually, I don’t think it should be too hard to make a game similar to Badge Master that does the same thing.

Flag Post

For example, I went through my favorites and looked at the 3 tags listed for each game, adding them all up. A good program ought to be able to do the same, maybe even let people browse their own lists to see what game categories they favorited most, and quickly go to a given game category. It should then search for new games to recommend. A simple algorithm would be to just assign a point total based on how many favorited games a person has. So an RPG, Strategy, Turn-Based game would get a score of 96 per my favorites (39+34+23). This would be a great way to find new games for recommendation that would be much better than the current Kongregate recommendation system.

• RPG – 39
  • Strategy – 34
  • Turn Based – 23
  • Adventure – 21
  • Defense – 20
  • Fantasy – 14
  • Dungeon – 12
  • Tower Defense – 12
  • War – 10
  • Zombie – 9
  • Multiplayer – 8
  • Card – 5
  • Mouse Only – 5
  • Pixel – 5
  • CCG – 4
  • Upgrades – 4
  • Action – 4
  • Shooter – 4
  • Manager – 3
  • Space – 3
  • Puzzle – 3
  • Match 3
  • Epic War – 3
  • Business – 3
  • Army – 2
  • Fighting – 2
  • Gladiator – 2
  • Magic – 2
  • Monster – 2
  • Platform – 2
  • Protector – 2
  • RTS – 2
  • Sports – 2
  • Art
  • City
  • 3D
  • Detective
  • Gun
  • Idle
  • Island
  • Hex
  • Keyboard Only
  • Mystery
  • Pet
  • Quick
  • Robot
  • Rogue-Like
  • Soccer
  • Sword
  • Tactical
  • Time Management
  • Train
  • Virus

Flag Post

Very good. But if you’re going to make one, be sure to maybe omit some of the games under judgement, and perhaps have an option to sort games by whether they have badges or not, and rating, etc.

Flag Post

“Very good. But if you’re going to make one, be sure to maybe omit some of the games under judgement, and perhaps have an option to sort games by whether they have badges or not, and rating, etc.”

Very good points! There should be a way to turn on search features like you said, omitting games under judgment or with badges. A minimum rating feature would be a good search option as well. Perhaps a sort tool by ratings, views, or recency. All of your points though are excellent ideas for the game.

I suppose another idea would even be to let you turn on or off different categories, so you only search for the ones you want. For example, turn off Keyboard Only or other categories, to further refine your search.

Flag Post

The only thing I was thinking of is whether loading time might be an issue. Badge Master only looked at badged games specifically. It’s tough to tell how much trouble would be caused by looking at all games on the site. Perhaps only games with a 3.50 rating or above should be shown, to increase loading speed. And maybe the search could run just looking at the top 10 favorited categories for a user, with a search option to expand or diminish this range. Features like this might be necessary though to have the game look through fewer results to improve loading speed and performance.

Flag Post

To the OP: I find your report to be very well written and intelligently presented. Good job writing it.

Oh, but this thread is about game ideas, isn’t it? To keep on topic, I must say that I like your first two posts. You seem to have correctly identified some genres that are not well represented on Kong, although I disagree about Sim City being a life simulation. Perhaps you were referring to The Sims?

Regarding your second post, I also had an idea to use a questionnaire for RPG character generation. Your idea for a microtransaction sounds good, although a game would probably have to offer other kinds of microtransactions to be self-sustaining.

I won’t be making any of the games you suggested any time soon, however, because I’m still trying to learn the ropes. I already have an idea for an RPG/life simulation that uses questionnaire-based char-gen, but it will be a while before I have the know-how to make it.

Flag Post

I’m a developer and I have more ideas than I can feasibly work on. I’ve even tossed some back at the community just so I could sleep at night without pondering over the idea, mechanics, and so on.

Originally posted by Jzyehoshua:

A large portion of the games I see made on Kongregate are not original in any way, shape, or form. Tower Defense games are a dime a dozen, as are the tired energy system games which use the exact same design each time. I honestly think most game designers don’t have good ideas and are having trouble finding concepts people would like, because most games, like I said, do not show originality or uniqueness.

There is nothing new under the sun. We all draw inspiration from somewhere.

For instance, one game I would love to play, would be a MMO version of Myst where it is possible for you to write your own linking books. Not going to happen any time soon. But it’d be fucking awesome to write a whole world, and then explore it with a bunch of friends. Or discover a book someone else wrote long ago and explore that, taking precautions for traveling into a possibly unstable world.

That excites me.

Or how about an RTS game where losing a single confrontation doesn’t mean reloading the game and trying again? What if it only cost you control of an area, and that it was possible to recover from such losses? Heck, it might even introduce the concept of “scorched earth” to the RTS genre: exploiting the HELL out of a region for the resources, but spending little and intentionally forfeiting control of the area, and drawing out the enemy’s supply lines until they’re trying to breach the impenetrable fortress you’ve manage to construct around your capital city.

That would be awesome.

But the technology isn’t there yet. And there’s no will to produce a game along those lines, because there’s no in-built story for the developers to tell. Both games are about the players writing their own story in the game, and no publisher would take that up.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jzyehoshua: A large portion of the games I see made on Kongregate are not original in any way, shape, or form. ------------------------------------------------------- That's because it's often those games are the ones that become famous. they're easy to learn and pick up as opposed to something new. now when people see what you do, they now are a little afraid of their new ideas. And what draco said, unlike what we want to believe, we can't imagine without experience. imagination is simply piecing together old pieces of memories. you can't imagine a completely new color. designs of car evolve from one another, it doesn't magically appear. but imagination doesn't happen at a conscious level, so people think it appears out of nothing. That's the guess from my experience.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

For instance, one game I would love to play, would be a MMO version of Myst where it is possible for you to write your own linking books. Not going to happen any time soon. But it’d be fucking awesome to write a whole world, and then explore it with a bunch of friends. Or discover a book someone else wrote long ago and explore that, taking precautions for traveling into a possibly unstable world.

That excites me.

Sounds like you are perhaps much more into interactive simulation design than you perhaps realise. You are describing pretty accurately, the efforts of modern social VR developers, and pretty much all of simulated environment work. None, or very few of those are games, although they use many of the same technologies.

They are much, much larger projects to work on than most games as well. In some cases, you are looking at a ROI that is ten years or more down the line, or it is a success even if there is no direct ROI at all.

But the technology isn’t there yet.

Bits and pieces of it are. You have to use smoke and mirrors to redirect attention away from the rest. That takes a hell of a lot of careful thought, and much planning. Other bits are slowly arriving in dribs and drabs. You have to plan for all future expansion from the start, otherwise you risk locking yourself in to a point where you have to start again, just ten or twelve years into your business model.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Sounds like you are perhaps much more into interactive simulation design than you perhaps realise.

No, not really.
Full VR sim? Yes please!

I follow the changes in AR-space fairly closely. Not actively, but I do hear about advances fairly often, and often fairly soon.