You're an idea guy? Come here!

22 posts

Flag Post

Hey there, this thread is more or less directed at idea guys, who have great ideas, but lack the skills to create a flash game.

I’m currently trying to find some game ideas while trying to improve my art and programming skills. Don’t get me wrong, I have some original ideas but I’d like to read differents things. Feel free to drop some interesting (or not!) ideas for a flash game. Nothing multiplayer though.
Note that if I do take your idea you will not earn a penny or a share of ad revenue. But you will have a place in the credits!

PS: Don’t direct me to the three hundred mechanics, I have already read those.

Flag Post

three hundred mechanics? What’s that? Can you post a link?

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

three hundred mechanics? What’s that? Can you post a link?

http://www.squidi.net/three/index.php

It’s pretty interesting.

Flag Post

I have a lot of ideas but lack art skill to back up my programming so it ends up looking horrible and the game fails
Anyways some of my ideas include a RPG game where you gain exp for individual stats not overall for example you cast a spell you gain intellect exp you attack with a sword you gain strength exp i made a more complex system but that’s the basics of it

Flag Post

Idle Empires; a pixel-graphics’d persistent Idle RTS.

Flag Post

Mmh, it is pretty interesting. Thanks for the link LegenDaddy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by midan6:

I have a lot of ideas but lack art skill to back up my programming so it ends up looking horrible and the game fails
Anyways some of my ideas include a RPG game where you gain exp for individual stats not overall for example you cast a spell you gain intellect exp you attack with a sword you gain strength exp i made a more complex system but that’s the basics of it

That’s the Elder Scrolls system, and it probably wasn’t new when they started using it either.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Amibtious:

That’s the Elder Scrolls system, and it probably wasn’t new when they started using it either.

Originally posted by Amibtious:

Ah ok the original dungeon siege game used a similar system but it split up magic into combat and natural magic
The main reason im trying to implement this style of exp gain is I have never seen it in a flash game

Flag Post

This kind of reminds me of DarkFall where you earn experience for each spell and each kind of weapon, making you better with these as you level them, unlocking different abilities.

Flag Post

I here offer a great concept of reward that has withstood the test of time.

Boobs.

Seriously, think of what men do for boobs. THAT POWER!

Flag Post

Something like EVE Online, but singleplayer. You walk around, or get in a ship, or go underwater, or do whatever you want, and in your travels you come accross NPCs. Some may hurt you, some may heal you and be on their way, and some will help you fight. The sense of adventure is what makes it so fun.

Flag Post

A combination of a turn-based RPG and a mouse-only physics puzzle game. Where the main character has telekinetic powers, and uses them to ‘lift’ enemies so combination-moves can be used by hir companions; for example, MainChar Raphael clicks a Guard and hovers him off the ground, and Companion Denise uses a big stick to whack the helpless, defenseless guard, stunning/maiming him.

Or a turn-based/real-time game world; a mostly real-time game world with monsters that approach from every direction, which will then trigger attacks, while in bubbles or biomes are towns which are run according to a clock, with NPCs that follow the timetable exactly.

Flag Post

maybe a 3rd person RTS, similar to the idea of viva pinata, but you have a region of untamed land, and you have to create a community people want to live in.

so you would have just a bare old bit of mountainside to start with. but you start planting crops and flowers, defending yourself with baricades, providing an interesting ecosystem so that theres lots of plant ife and interesting animals, building temples to different gods so that they grant you their favour. You need can walk around in side the environment, so your a bit more in touch.

could even be post apocalyptic, you have some battle scarred ruins and you need to make it safe for human life and build towards a utopia.

a mix of majesty, from dust and viva pinata.

Flag Post

pm me about this post and ill gladly help you. im a writer but lack motivation to see stories through. so if you would pm me we can benefit from each other

Flag Post

Time-travel RPG. You start at present time with a gun or ninja-like style (sword or something) and you got an ancient device which lets you travel the time. You can go to future, where gun of these days are blocked by energy shields, though, if you manage to kill a weak enemy, you can get his laser gun, which pierces energy shields a little. If you go to past, you find fast moving warriors and archers, which are very hard to hit with laser/simple gun. And if you go to pre-historic time, you get knocked with a mace to head, beecouse there are massess of ugly cave guys :)

Flag Post

pfft just some idea stealer that will give you no credit. plus ideas are to in detail start it off general and many room for movement so it can actually be pulled off as a game. this may help you guys.

1. Find an Idea

Ideas can come from anywhere. Sometimes it can come from an idea for a story or from a game play idea. Most ideas come from existing games. The way I come up with ideas is by thinking about games that I like, but that have some aspect of them that just isn’t fun. I fix that aspect and expand on the ones I like and voila, new game.

If the story comes first, I think about how that might tie into a genre and how the game could play out. If the game concept comes first, like it usually does for me, I write a vague storyline to go with it and then refine both together organically.

The way it works for me is: 1. Get a vague concept of game with some concrete features I want 2. Write a basic outline of the story 3. Use the story to refine my ideas about the game play. 4. Refine story. 5. Refine gameplay.

2. Decide on Technologies

This step requires a bit of knowledge about programming languages and anything you might use to build your game.

3. Develop a Prototype and Test It

This is where the work comes in. At this point you’ve got to buckle down and code a simple version of your engine (or cheat and use someone else’s). You need to plan out the first level of your game, some simple items, decide on a gun or two that’s going to be in the game, and so on.

And now you work. You code what you’ve planned. You need to make sure that it’s easy for people to hop in and play. Once you’ve finished this step, you’re game is in alpha.

This step can take a long time, but once you’re done, you’re going to test it. You’ll want users in your target demographic to come in and play the game (without your help) so you can see where they get lost, bored, or entertained. If you get a reaction different from what you expect, you write it down and fix it.

4. Plan Everything Out

Now that you’ve got a very streamlined prototype, you know your game is going to work. Now you’ve got to make all of the content for it.

This is the most fun part for me. You get to plan out every level, every class, every race, every gun, every gameplay area, and so on. You design all of the content for your game.

If this is a browser based game, you’re going to want to make a model of the game.

5. Develop the Game

This part is also really fun. I’m assuming you’re a developer. If you’re not very art saavy, you’re going to want to hire/ask a designer to get your art done for you.

It’s pretty straightforward–just code all of the content that you planned. To make things easier, you’ll want to develop a few tools for your game. Some examples of tools: a network analyzing tool, an NPC design tool, a map design tool, or a gun design tool.

6. Test and Refine

Finally, you’re going to want to test your game and refine it. At this stage, you’re in beta. This is the same as testing you’re prototype, so refer back for rules on testing.

I recommend using an iterative/incremental development process, meaning you follow your main plan for the game, but after each level or feature added, you release a working version of the game and test it. This allows you to notice any obvious problems early on and make the necessary changes to the design specification.

If you’re developing a multiplayer game, the final test you’re going to want to do is a load test. A load test is where you allows a large amount of users to use your game at once to make sure that the servers can handle it. You’ll inevitably make some improvements in your network code at this stage to reduce the lag your users experience. This is why companies hold “open betas” for their games (along with, of course, testing out any new features they plan on implementing).

http://www.ironcoding.com/2011/02/six-steps-to-developing-a-game/

Flag Post

learn basic programming and keep practising. go to community classes and classes at school that teach this if you really want too make games this is the steps you have to take once you make the game (who cares about the art(for now)) finish it and show it on the forums then since every thing is already made and the themes and concept has been set artists would come to you too fix up the graphics and boom you have a good game if you had money you would have an amazing game because you can get paid programmers who are usually pro, but be careful if you don’t know what your doing I’m more then certain they will leave instead of walking you through it so start off with that and its open land past that point plus having an actual game made gets you quite a bit more recognition and respect. I hope this helped Im sorry if my writing doesn’t make sense at times. for i have no time at this moment to go through this and correct it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Epsellis:

I here offer a great concept of reward that has withstood the test of time.

Boobs.

Seriously, think of what men do for boobs. THAT POWER!

you and boobs man that’s something that very often is said in the same sentence (he’s a guy don’t get confused). :P I’m just playing epsellis hehe.

sorry for triple post

Flag Post

For me the perfect game is a mix of rpg and upgrated online games.
I think it could be interesting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lime_:

pfft just some idea stealer that will give you no credit. plus ideas are to in detail start it off general and many room for movement so it can actually be pulled off as a game. this may help you guys.

1. Find an Idea

Ideas can come from anywhere. Sometimes it can come from an idea for a story or from a game play idea. Most ideas come from existing games. The way I come up with ideas is by thinking about games that I like, but that have some aspect of them that just isn’t fun. I fix that aspect and expand on the ones I like and voila, new game.

If the story comes first, I think about how that might tie into a genre and how the game could play out. If the game concept comes first, like it usually does for me, I write a vague storyline to go with it and then refine both together organically.

The way it works for me is: 1. Get a vague concept of game with some concrete features I want 2. Write a basic outline of the story 3. Use the story to refine my ideas about the game play. 4. Refine story. 5. Refine gameplay.

2. Decide on Technologies

This step requires a bit of knowledge about programming languages and anything you might use to build your game.

3. Develop a Prototype and Test It

This is where the work comes in. At this point you’ve got to buckle down and code a simple version of your engine (or cheat and use someone else’s). You need to plan out the first level of your game, some simple items, decide on a gun or two that’s going to be in the game, and so on.

And now you work. You code what you’ve planned. You need to make sure that it’s easy for people to hop in and play. Once you’ve finished this step, you’re game is in alpha.

This step can take a long time, but once you’re done, you’re going to test it. You’ll want users in your target demographic to come in and play the game (without your help) so you can see where they get lost, bored, or entertained. If you get a reaction different from what you expect, you write it down and fix it.

4. Plan Everything Out

Now that you’ve got a very streamlined prototype, you know your game is going to work. Now you’ve got to make all of the content for it.

This is the most fun part for me. You get to plan out every level, every class, every race, every gun, every gameplay area, and so on. You design all of the content for your game.

If this is a browser based game, you’re going to want to make a model of the game.

5. Develop the Game

This part is also really fun. I’m assuming you’re a developer. If you’re not very art saavy, you’re going to want to hire/ask a designer to get your art done for you.

It’s pretty straightforward–just code all of the content that you planned. To make things easier, you’ll want to develop a few tools for your game. Some examples of tools: a network analyzing tool, an NPC design tool, a map design tool, or a gun design tool.

6. Test and Refine

Finally, you’re going to want to test your game and refine it. At this stage, you’re in beta. This is the same as testing you’re prototype, so refer back for rules on testing.

I recommend using an iterative/incremental development process, meaning you follow your main plan for the game, but after each level or feature added, you release a working version of the game and test it. This allows you to notice any obvious problems early on and make the necessary changes to the design specification.

If you’re developing a multiplayer game, the final test you’re going to want to do is a load test. A load test is where you allows a large amount of users to use your game at once to make sure that the servers can handle it. You’ll inevitably make some improvements in your network code at this stage to reduce the lag your users experience. This is why companies hold “open betas” for their games (along with, of course, testing out any new features they plan on implementing).

http://www.ironcoding.com/2011/02/six-steps-to-developing-a-game/

now he knows what hes talking about

Flag Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2_s2yp7Us