Story-telling style

11 posts

Flag Post

Just wanting your opinion here, would well-done comic book style “cinematics” be better than little animations with medium-quality voice acting?

What I mean by comic book style is that the cinematics in a game would be polished comic book “template”, not the actual drawing style.

Flag Post

there is no truly superior media, Form follows function, hard to judge form without knowing function. therefore without addressing what you’re trying to achieve it is impossible to determine what is “better”

If you think color TV is superior to black and white, i can give you a couple stories that could not be told with color.

so would it be “Better” very difficult to tell.

Now i’m using a comic intro in a game i’m currently making (and will be making for a long time) So if you ask me, it is a method that takes less effort ( 1 good comic page is still easily 6 hours of work, but 1 min of animation is 600 pictures. assuming you’re at 10fps and no layers.) Also in comics you won’t be compared to million dollar works, because comics generally aren’t that expensive.

But i also have animations because you can’t shock people with loud noises using a comic. the best you could do is a 2 page spread of something scary.

Flag Post

I hardly ever see good voice acting in flash games.
And imo bad voice acting can ruin the game completely.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

I hardly ever see good voice acting in flash games.
And imo bad voice acting can ruin the game completely.

What did you think of the voice acting in Strike Force Heroes? I thought it was ok, not great, not bad, just ok. The medic’s voice is cheesy. It sounds really unrealistic. There was only one line in the whole game that I thought actually sounded good — in one of the campaign levels someone says “I think I heard something.” And it actually sounded pretty good I thought. Then a second later the medic yells “Ambush!” in a really dumb voice.

Flag Post

If I were you I would avoid VA in flash games. It just doesn’t hold the same quality.

Flag Post

Voice acting in Flash games can be good, like in No Time To Explain.

Flag Post

98% chance it isn’t though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

98% chance it isn’t though.

Where did you get that statistic from?

Flag Post

Sonny/Sonny 2 Had great voice acting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Shadow_Craver:

Sonny/Sonny 2 Had great voice acting.

Yeah, I agree. And amazing music.