UDK/UnrealEd Creations

20 posts

Flag Post

Talk about the stuff you made in UDK or UnrealEd here.

I made this map in UnrealEd in about an hour and a half. It’s the first map I’ve made in a long time. It’s clearly a small, simple map, but it’s pretty intense. There’s a sniper rifle in the doorway on one of the ends of the map. And there’s lava in the two pits in the floor.

Flag Post

This looks way too pro to be made in an hour. Did you use pre-made art? Is it hard? I don’t know UnrealED. Would you recommend I try it?
Excellent job man, really cool.

Flag Post

Haha, I didn’t make the textures or the static meshes. I just put the map together. I could do a lot better if I spent more time on it. This wasn’t hard to do (but of course, I spent countless hours making maps when I was 9-12 years old).

And don’t use UnrealEd, use UDK. I wish I could use UDK but my computer can’t run it.

Flag Post

Alright, thanks for the help man. You can get a good PC for a good price.
The trick is to pick the parts yourself, buying a branded PC is a waste of money. That’s what I did and I saved hundreds :O

Flag Post

Your computer can probably run UDK, so get it. It’s free for non-commercial use.

I’m working on a new map. It’s very relaxing. Back in the day, I used to just slap brushes together but now I actually do the math and make them fit together nicely, like a puzzle.

Flag Post

New map in progress. Maybe I can make a video of it. It’s a pretty cool level. But it needs some work. In the middle of the map there’s a super long corridor that allows enemies to kill you from far away.

^ That’s the super long corridor.

Flag Post

I fixed the problem. You can see the whole map because I ghosted out of the level. For some reason the powerups don’t show up because I played the map by just clicking on the file. The map works fine when I play it inside of UT2004. Video.

Flag Post

Amazing! Unfortunately my laptop is too slow to run UDK D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Amazing! Unfortunately my laptop is too slow to run UDK D:

Thanks! I really should get a new computer so I can use UDK.

Flag Post

@Shadow_Craver I wouldn’t bother with UnrealEd, its only a level editor. If you want to get some serious work done, the UDK is the way to go.

Then again, I much prefer CryEngine3.

Flag Post
Originally posted by L_Deathnote:

@Shadow_Craver I wouldn’t bother with UnrealEd, its only a level editor. If you want to get some serious work done, the UDK is the way to go.

Look up Killing Floor.

Flag Post

I think the CryEngine is also a good engine. Though I reckon not as good as the Unreal Engine

Flag Post

Its all down to personal preference really. I have more practise with CE3 and I can work much faster with it. I can run the UDK perfectly without lag but CE3… Nightmare at times.

Also for comercial licences:

UDK: Roughly ?80 with royalties
CE3: You need to take out a second mortgage

Alternatively, Unity is a great engine. ?1500 is a bit steep for an indie Dev if your looking to use the pro version though.

Flag Post

I added onto my map.

Flag Post

With UDK if you make under 50k (dollars) you don’t owe they any royalties, but if you go over that I think it is a percentage you have to pay them. I will have to go back and look on their website for it though.

I have used several different types of Game Engines out there and UDK is in the top 10 if not Number 1 of all the ones I have played around with. The major issue with game engines is what you want out of it. Some are fairly easy to use while others requires a Masters Degree in programming to even think about using.

Some of the engines I have dabbled with are UDK, 3d Gamestudio, Unity, Ogre3d and others I can’t even remember their names.

Also with alot of these engines you see out their you need to do some research before you even think about using them. First what type of game are you looking to make. Is it 2d or 3d. Also what is your experience in game develop, are you good with graphics, design, programming, sound etc.

Some engines cater to different types of areas of game development.

Personally I do enjoy UDK and the only other one I would use besides that would be 3d Gamestudio.

Flag Post

Have you made anything cool with UDK? I’d love to see a video or some screenshots.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Have you made anything cool with UDK? I’d love to see a video or some screenshots.

Not really. Mostly what I do is just building layouts with no textures. And about 90% of it I delete because I decide to go in a different direction with the project after I start it.

As I said in the previous post, I mainly just dabble with it. I am more into programming than I am into level design and graphics. I haven’t touched UDK in probally 6months to a year and really need to read back up on it again especially the programming side of it. Plus I am on my laptop more than I am on my home system since I travel alot for work and it doesn’t run very well on my laptop.

Lord SilverStone

Flag Post

I designed a map on paper last night. Of course, I changed a few things. I’m starting to understand how to design a good DeathMatch level. On thing I learned is make sure that all the rooms have multiple entrances/exits, so the game is fast-paced, and there’s no camping spots. (But I did find a camping spot on Rankin, the only DM map people play in multiplayer. There’s a corner you can back into. When I tested the level with 4 or 5 bots, it was very fast-paced. It felt like a real DM level. If anyone still plays this game, maybe we can play on this map together.

This is just the basic geometry, paths, and pickups. The level isn’t done yet, obviously. It needs to look a lot better. I just slapped the lights in so I could play the level and see where I was going.

Flag Post

I’m currently decorating the map. Very tedious.

Flag Post

Yea Decorating has got to be the hardest part in designing maps. Back a few years ago I was doing maps for a game called daemonin. I would do the basic layout of the map and then turn it over to another guy who would do all the decorating and any improvements that were needed.

For be building the foundation is my strongest point in level design. But when it comes to lighting, decoration, and texturing. I usually try to find someone else to do that part because I am not that good at it.

When I do maps in UDK I just drop in a small light just so I can get an idea of how it looks. I don’t go and try to make it perfect right off the bat becuase 9 times out of 10 I usually change the layout.

Lord SilverStone