Unity- Paving the way to faster,simpler 3D browser games?

8 posts

Flag Post

Look at the top 5 multiplayer games on kongregate and you’ll see that they all require you to download Unity. 3D games are hard to come by without a huge download, and Unity is filling that gap. I think that in the next 5 years, we will see more 3D browser games using Unity than any other big budget engine that most of the game industry uses now. Unity will be a faster, simpler way to get 3D browser games.

Thoughts?

Flag Post

Faster games? I don’t think so.

Flag Post

AFAIK only 3 of the top 5 multiplayer games require unity, the other two just say ‘need java’.
And unless I’m missing something, there’s nothing particularly linking 3D and multiplayer, so that seems like just coincidence. On the first page of overall games on Kong, only Freefall says it needs Unity.

I’m also somewhat doubtful of your statements that Unity makes 3D games smaller or faster. And…..what ‘big budget engine’ does the industry use now to make browser games???

Flag Post

Faster? No.
Simpler? No.
Visually enhanced? Yes.

Flag Post

Unreal > (Unity*1000000000)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Redfin_802:

Look at the top 5 multiplayer games on kongregate and you’ll see that they all require you to download Unity. 3D games are hard to come by without a huge download, and Unity is filling that gap. I think that in the next 5 years, we will see more 3D browser games using Unity than any other big budget engine that most of the game industry uses now. Unity will be a faster, simpler way to get 3D browser games.

Thoughts?

You sir, if Unreal was allowed on here, your opinion would be so different. After looking on this site now, you probably see Unity to 3D gaming what a Ferrari is to a car. But really, Kongregate doesn’t really accept anything else, so your opinion is quite narrowed.
Look at Unreal, and you will probably think if Kongregate accepted Unreal, Unity would probably be to 3D gaming what Spam is to food.

Flag Post

Afaik, Unreal doesn’t run in the browser, though a Flash port is being developed. (or is it done? If that’s the case it should work on Kong just fine). That said, you can’t really compare Unreal and Unity. Unreal is an engine, Unity is a platform.

Unity is slow. There’s not much to say on that one. It just is. Whenever I read about a promising game in development, then hear “unity” I get disappointed.

Flag Post

Yes, you’re right, Unreal has a Flash port. Though I’ve never used it.