Designing

18 posts

Flag Post

I am severely lacking in the design/creativity department of.. well.. anything? What are some things that you guys like to do to get inspiration, or ideas? Anything helps.

Flag Post

A platform game is based on many elements:

• Restricted movement. (Well, you don’t generally move through blocks, do you?)
  • Blocks to walk on. (That’s the whole point of a platform game- platforms.)
  • Incentives. (Like coins.)
  • Discentives. (Like spikes.)
  • Four keys for movement.
  • etc.

So a platform game is typically based on a set of rules. When you change the rules, you change the game. Actually, these days, unrestricted movement as an element in platform games is becoming more popular than you think. (Valve’s Portal, Jesse Venbrux’s Focus and VVVVVV.) Get a type of game, adjust a couple of the rules, but set limitations. (For example, in the Necronomicon, you have a health bar… but a sanity bar. If your sanity bar goes below zero, well… something happens that alters your gameplay.) Alter gameplay, and don’t be afraid to play around with new ideas. But always focus on adjusting one game rule at a time, or people just get confused. :D

Flag Post

While I believe it’s important to play a lot of games to learn how others design it, you shouldn’t completely rip off a game. If you want creativity and originality instantly, try marijuana. Otherwise it might be a bit hard, some people are just born with it.

Flag Post

….

jason has the right idea. What you need to do is go play some of the games you enjoy and gather ideas of mechanics and such that you like or think “what if that worked like this instead?”

You could also head on over to TVTropes and lose yourself in a sea of mechanics and conventions, if you find your way out you’re bound to have a few ideas of ‘how you would do things’.

Flag Post
Originally posted by draganviper:

….

jason has the right idea. What you need to do is go play some of the games you enjoy and gather ideas of mechanics and such that you like or think “what if that worked like this instead?”

You could also head on over to TVTropes and lose yourself in a sea of mechanics and conventions, if you find your way out you’re bound to have a few ideas of ‘how you would do things’.

Mechanics and conventions are a big thing for me- I love learning new ways to do things and stuff like procedural generation. Thanks for the input jason. You too Danny- although I think I’ll wait for legalization.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

While I believe it’s important to play a lot of games to learn how others design it, you shouldn’t completely rip off a game.

Yes, that’s a no-no. In fact, you should look out for games already on the market to see what you can’t do. Not without players calling the game a rip-off anyway. If it’s not a high seller I’m quite sure it wouldn’t be a problem (though you shouldn’t really be doing that.)

Flag Post

Get The Art of Game Design.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Get The Art of Game Design.

…and if you’re desperate or impatient, go straight to Chapter 6, Inspiration. It’s chock full of tips on generating ideas. My favorite part is the story about the old juggler on pages 58 to 59. For me, that was an eye-opener.

Flag Post

Play other games and and try and break them down to its basic mechanics, try to understand why these are popular.

Flag Post

Don’t be afraid to question ‘What if’. But make sure you include level design or other game elements that require your newly-introduced mechanics, or players won’t see why they need it. :D

Flag Post

Thank for sharing.I really happy when here.

Flag Post

I’m over halfway through The Art of Game Design and I now realize that designing good games takes skill, just like programming good games takes skill, and drawing well takes skill.

I have a super good idea for a game. It should be my best game ever, especially if I collaborate with my second cousin, who’s a pro animator (and works at Schell Games.)

Zak from 3D Buzz says that you’ll love your game on day 1, you’ll like your game on day 2, you’ll hate your game on day 3, and just stretch that over the time it takes to make your game. He’s right.

Flag Post

Zak from 3D Buzz says that you’ll love your game on day 1, you’ll like your game on day 2, you’ll hate your game on day 3, and just stretch that over the time it takes to make your game. He’s right.

Weeeeeeell that’s just his and yours opinion. Or maybe it’s just me who never hates working on my games :D

Flag Post

No offense, Danny, but you don’t seem to do much work when you make your games. xD

Flag Post

Don’t smoke marijuana. It will make you lazy and hard to concentrate. Play a lot of games. You will get bored with time, and irritated that every game has >>something<< – and thus you will change the >>something<< in you game and make it original.

Read books, watch movies, talk with friends about their playing experiences.

Flag Post

No offense, Danny, but you don’t seem to do much work when you make your games. xD

It’s probably because I only have time to work on weekends, so I make the most of the time I have to work on my projects, then I spend all week studying and hyping up/thinking of ideas for my games…

then it’s the weekend again and it feels special and I rush to make my games

I just don’t have time to hate my games.

Flag Post

Reading a book like The Art of Game Design just puts me in the mindset, and ideas start popping up out of nowhere.You are a gem desginer,grip that idea and you’ll have no problem.The hard part is the realizing those ideas.

Flag Post

Danny, if you love your games so dearly, what happened to Ed 2?