Realtime Multiplayer Shmup - Work in progress

21 posts

Flag Post

http://rezoner.net/workshop/tactics/client/

Flag Post

I’m liking it. Nice style and what not. Definitely look into interpolation for rotation. Its a bit jerky. I really like the squares representing other planes’s direction and distance.

Flag Post

Thanks @UnknownGuardian

I have added a lot of things since last time – flags, afterburners, improvements, bots, balancing, respawn

Also there is a nice discussion going on on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/113wpq/i_have_added_flags_to_my_game_i_need_you_to_enter/

Flag Post

Only one word – FUCKINAMAZINGBRO (yes it’s a one word)
I’m not a programmer but this looks VERY good .
Can’t wait for it to be released!

Flag Post

LOLOLI love trolling people by flying around them while they hopelessly miss me with all their pellets.

Flag Post

I have added some more maneuverability options – use A, S, D to strafe – general tactics is to slow down before someone and take him down with bullets.

Also you can fight for your country, as there is a scoreboard with flags :)

Flag Post

Very interesting concept here, how did you handle the client → server → client side? Is there Node.js running on the server? Or good ‘ol PHP (or Python, if that’s your thing)?

Flag Post

@Aceria620: I don’t think it would be possible with PHP.

Yes this is node.js and websockets.

I am quite stuck with further development. Not sure what I want this game to be.

Flag Post

Start prototyping like crazy. Try a bunch of things. If you find something slightly fun, follow that lead.

Flag Post

Blimps. Helis. Big planes. Parachutes. AAs. Guys on the ground. Bombs…

Flag Post

1) Matchmaking
2) Current mode (senseless shooting) will stay as a practice ground
3) Team mode – destroy enemy base
4) Player will have possibility to upgrade himself during the gameplay
5) The second mode will be to esscort a BIG passanger plane on its way to the other side of map

Flag Post

Just don’t make it a grind- or pay-to-win game.

Flag Post

I have taken the game into space genre, not sure it was a good idea.

@GameBuilder15: I am going to sell only look’n’feel things like alternative plane graphics and such.

Flag Post

nice, might design a spaceship or two for you if you want me to

I think you should make the turning radius wider so it doesn’t become a circlefest
or try adding some randomness to the gun fire angles, tracers might look nice too (if it doesn’t eat up the resources)
and add some reaction time to the bots because there’s nothing you can do to shake them.

Flag Post

Introduced shop

@Epsellis: Thanks for the tip about adjusting bots

Flag Post

New Ships

Also accounts and tons of tweaks.

I wonder what should I put in the game to make it more about tactics. Skills ? I want to keep it minimalistic

http://rezoner.net/workshop/tactics/client/

Flag Post

Take a look at the Star Control games. While flawed, the different ship abilities and attributes means that not only do ships have their strengths and weaknesses, but tactics for using a particular ship change depending upon the opponent (ideally, all ships would be defeatable by any other ship given good enough tactics and proficiency, though the difficulty factor would change).

Some of the ships are seriously hard to steer (speed of turning is very fast), and require practice for them to be at all viable. If you do make different ships, make an information screen for each — as well as a warning (or showing the relevant stat in red or yellow) if a stat is higher than an uninitiated pilot is likely to be able to handle.

Don’t give them abilities that can’t or won’t be implemented properly (try playing with or against the Ilwrath Avenger: while cloaking does render the auto-targeting of guided weaponry ineffectual, screen orientation giving away position is unacceptable). With different capabilities, making sure no ship is too powerful (attack, defense, or evasion (or status effects like stun)) will be very important, and will be a lot more work than just having a few different images and maybe slightly different basic stats (speed, armour, damage), but it will make for a much more interesting battle environment.

Flag Post

I really hope you don’t mind me saying this, but this is some true personal-opinion feedback.

I think making it space based was a mistake.

My reasoning: Space is an overused genre. Almost every dev will agree with you on that. That is why you don’t see much space games on a site like FGL up for sponsorship. (or if they are, they likely aren’t some of the top sellers). I think the game could be more successful in the original form, or something slightly modified from that. I’m not too sure on your reasoning to change it to space, but perhaps you were concerned about Steambirds/Fly or Die/Uncharted Skies similarities, which is a valid point.

Flag Post

I was originally going to post something similar last week (that I preferred the original theme), but decided against it. There are a lot of other options besides space (or WWII). I find it amusing that the reason there would be Steambirds/Fly or Die/Uncharted Skies comparisons is that those themes are relatively rare

Flag Post

Thanks folks. Star control is really inspiring :)

Also I’ve talked with my graphician and we agreed with you that the space genre is overused so we will be going back on earth soon.

However I have to keep obstacles in the air — so we decided to mix World War with some kind of floating islands.

Flag Post

Planes builder (this is mix of just two style-sets – imagine how many posibilites goes with each another)
- However this will be removed from game and probably shared as placeholder-sprites generator for your games.

Also there are big changes in physics and weapons.

For now each plane support only one directional skill – try dragging your plane.
Shooting is also directional – will add heating soon.