My book on game design

4 posts

Flag Post

Hey Kongregate. Just thought I’d let you know that my book on game design is available for purchase on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Design-Theory-Philosophy-Understanding/dp/1466554207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344010206&sr=8-1

It establishes a new kind of lens through which you can analyze different types of interactive systems, finding fundamental forms, and then building guidelines for better game design with those forms in mind.

Who am I? I’m the designer of 100 Rogues (www.100rogues.com) and the upcoming successfully-Kickstarted AURO. Also, I write for Gamasutra, Destructoid, as well as my own blogs at dinofarmgames.com and keithburgun.net. Finally, I teach game design at several schools and have given lectures on game design at several universities.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions about the book.

Flag Post
Originally posted by keithburgun:

It establishes a new kind of lens through which you can analyze different types of interactive systems

That sounds a little familiar…

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:
Originally posted by keithburgun:

It establishes a new kind of lens through which you can analyze different types of interactive systems

That sounds a little familiar…

… “The Art of Game Design” was not the first, nor will it be the last book to use the concept of lenses to describe methods of analyzing games. Additionally, he specifically says “a new kind of lens”, which implies he is aware of this and still believes he has something new to add to the subject. As a professional in the field, he has almost certainty read TAoGD as it is one of the very first books people tend to read about game design (along with “Rules of Play” and the like).

TAoGD is a good book, but you don’t have to ve some kind of zealot about it.

Flag Post

Yep, I’m aware of Schell’s book. Where his book is literally 100 different lenses, mine is one really developed one. Also, it has a foreword from Dr. Reiner Knizia! If you don’t know who he is, look him up, play his games, and improve your life dramatically.