Question on music

10 posts

Flag Post

I’m in the final stages of developing a game, made entirely by myself, and I plan to keep it that way. I really can’t afford to hire someone, buy music, or buy software to compose it. So the question is, how important do you feel music is in a game, and why?

Additionally, I’m looking for freeware that is based on conducting orchestral music. I’ve tried FL Studios, but that just wasn’t working out. Anyone know of anything?

Flag Post

Kevin MacLeod has lots of music you can use for free in your projects as long as you give him credit.

Flag Post

Truth be told, FL Studio is used to create sound, so most of the sound that comes out of it is techno music. However, FL Studio is able to play SF2 files, otherwise known as Soundfonts. This guy has some pretty high-quality ones, and while some of them are not exactly good, others are just great.

Most GOOD orchestral scorers you woud not get for free, TBH. Really, what you want all comes down to what sort of quality you would be expecting.

Music really can set a mood quite well. Games without music… well… they’re okay. But they are generally more fun with music. For example, the game Focus (look it up on Kongregate) in Original mode starts with no music. Just sound effects. That’s okay for the first few levels, where you have to get used to the concept. However, as the gae gets more hectic… music is incorporated, setting an elevated.

Really, music is an extra in any game. Depending on the timing, it can make the experience better. But remember – you need the right mood and the right timing, otherwise, well, the experience is kina ruined. It all comes down to personal opinion though. So if you think music will make your game better, go for it.

Flag Post

Music is often overlooked in a game, and it’s incredibly important. Try playing a horror game with the sound off. Now the sound on. It’s a completely different game. Music and SFX can do this, but in any game. Like GameBuilder said, I would use Kevin MacLeod, the newgrounds portal, or go look for a freelance Sound producer over at reddit.com/r/gamedev .

Flag Post

By the way, you can’t just use the music from the Newgrounds audio portal. You have to ask the artist for permission to use their music in your game, since you will be making money off the game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

By the way, you can’t just use the music from the Newgrounds audio portal. You have to ask the artist for permission to use their music in your game, since you will be making money off the game.

Not always. It entirely depends on the license.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Read the Newgrounds audio license.

Flag Post

You can try a free program called muse-score. It’s kind of bad quality and mainly for classical music but not bad for free.

Flag Post

I can make music for your games for free but for credit.. it can be in the smallest text. it is not so important. Just message me for more information on it

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

Give credit where credit is due, I say