Details in a RPG game

9 posts

Flag Post

I’m going to attempt making a RPG like game and I was wondering, ¿what features it should have? I mean, ¿you would rate a rpg 5 stars if it had…?

Flag Post

That truly depends on the general style of story you have. RPGs are a very wide range of styles truly. If you give a base idea of what you wish to have, then a discussion can be made on things that people would like to see added, or modified, but before then it’s truly asking for someone to make all the core stuff for you. If you go to the collabs you can easily find an “idea man” to do this beginning part of the work.
But I do wish you good luck with your project!

Flag Post

It depends on the type of RPG of course. But one thing that I don’t really see done enough, is to have different gear (weapons, armour) which changes the physical representation of your player.

Flag Post

To begin with make sure it has heaps of features like:

Stong storyline
Huge amount of weapons/items to collect
Engaging combat system
Unique Features that make it different to other RPGs
Fun leveling up (no grinding)
Crafting system

Flag Post

Hey people, I decided to do a battle system that isn’t done a lot. After some thinking I came up with this:

I really dont see EarthBound-like flashes anywhere, so I’ll attemp to make this king of game…

Flag Post

This is not meant to sound harsh.

If you want to make an RPG, you shouldn’t need to ask people what features it should have.

You should already have a design in mind that you are passionate about.

That is the only way to make a good RPG.

RPGs are the hardest games to make as they rely the most on solid design and massive amounts of content.

If you don’t have inspiration and passion at the beginning, you are doomed.

-Michael

[removed]

Flag Post

I’m with frogdice on this one. “RPG” is such a vague label that I don’t feel it’s possible for any amount of posts in this thread to do the name justice.

If you’re just concerned with features, this should kind of be common sense for anyone who has played one. If you’re fuzzy, play some basic RPGs: Pokemon Red/Blue (as much as I love them) are about as rudimentary as it gets: battle with growth through experience, exploration, items, story and plot, and a healthy dose of other game elements like puzzles, action, and more. These are all elements considered pretty “standard” in a traditional RPG. Considering contemporary RPGs are directly descended from table-top RPGs (i.e. Dungeons & Dragons), going over some of those webpages and ebooks might help you understand as well. The Dungeon Master’s Guide basically outlines what to do and what not to do as a game designer/implementer. The downside for you is that GMs for table-top RPGs can change things on-the-fly in an effort to make the game better WHILE the players are playing. You don’t have that luxury. As a video game designer, you’re at a disadvantage because, outside of updates and patches, you’re pretty committed to your product when it’s “shipped”; you need to get it as right as possible the first time.

All that being said, what would increase the likelihood of ME rating an RPG five stars is plot. Story is typically thought of as a chronological series of events. “A plot is a series of events deliberately arranged so as to reveal their dramatic, thematic, and emotional significance” (Burroway). If you don’t see the difference, your game will fail. Don’t create story; create plot. Final Fantasy 7 pauses to let the groans subside is continually ranked one of the greatest games of all time for a variety of reasons, but what continues to amaze people a decade and a half later is the plot. Yes, it had party customization unheard of at the time, tons of side quests, multiple character arcs, and more, but the plot dealt with such philosophical areas as existentialism, fatalism and identity. Purpose and meaning. The indolent happiness of family life and friendship contrasted with the misery of (freeing and independent) solitude. These are the things that keep people going back.

By all means, try and make an RPG, but if you do so with the effort usually reserved for “launcher” clones, I guarantee you will make a 1 star game. To make a (good) RPG is to make a cinematic experience. I could go on, but all I’d really be doing is quoting from every writing book that exists. Narrative and storytelling that are ACTUALLY GOOD is incalculably difficult to create. A browse through most of the RPGs on this site will show you this. No offense to anyone intended. If Stephen King wasn’t trying to write War and Peace, it would be unfair to hold Misery up to only that standard… but that being said, the plots of the majority of the RPGs on this site are pretty cookie-cutter and forgettable. They usually seem to me as almost an afterthought. As such, if you want to nab those five stars, make a real plot. I’m tired of playing superficial games that look decent enough but have such a vapor-thin story that’s nothing more than an excuse to hold all the grinding and treadmilling together… and for what, a story and characters I don’t care about? All the graphics in the world can’t save a game that’s mind-numbingly boring.

Write the story and plot. Write the dialogue. Write it as a screenplay (the software Celtx is free). The story is the hardest part of this endeavor. If you can’t make someone care about the game (five-stars caring) from them READING it, no amount of novel graphics or completionist sidequests will either.

Burroway, Janet. Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft 5th ed. Longman, 2000.

Flag Post

^Deep plots come from large games, I really don’t feel like making such a big proyect. Maybe when I have more experience… But I’ll try to give my game the best plot I can think of!

Flag Post
Originally posted by JPVR150296:

^Deep plots come from large games, I really don’t feel like making such a big proyect. Maybe when I have more experience… But I’ll try to give my game the best plot I can think of!

Perhaps I may have given the wrong impression by citing FF7. No one’s saying it’s a polar choice of either a massively deep plot or none at all. Yes, the larger the game the more time the developers can (and need to) devote to story and plot and character development, but making a story-driven game doesn’t necessitate making a big game. Earthbound, which you referenced, can be easily beaten in 30 hours. While it was large at the time of its release, it could be done by a lone developer today in a matter of months. It still had plot. Most of the (earlier) Spyro games are even shorter. They have curious plots that drive the action forward without (I believe) letting things become stale, yet they’re not overly large games either. The first Spyro for PS1 is easily beaten in less than two hours. By console platform standards it’s not even remotely a large game, yet the plot is still engaging.

I think what irritates me so much about games that don’t have plot is that all of the resources are already made. The developer has to make the sprites and animations anyways. The sound effects and backgrounds are already being used in the game and the engine and physics still need to be defined either way. All of the hardest, most time-consuming work is already done for every other part of the game. Plot and story are simply done by scripting those already-made sprites and sounds and such to move around the screen and perform actions when interacted with.

Again referencing Pokemon R/B, which, plot-wise, are not the greatest games ever, think about how story was implemented in them. The game world had to be made, the characters had to be sprited, the pokemon made, the battle system worked out, and more. Those were the hardest and most time-consuming things to make. What did the story consist of? Once in a blue moon, your character sprite would enter a region to cue the Gary/Team Rocket/Oak sprite spawning, walking to you, saying a line or three, and then battling you. Sprinkle the world with characters who have flaws (which is simply coming up with worthwhile dialogue), and you have a Pokemon story. I’m not saying, of course, that you’re saying that plot is not important. I’m just stressing that you shouldn’t underestimate its importance in a good game. Especially since that seems to be what most everyone else does. Think of all the sprites and backgrounds and sounds as Lego bricks. Story is simply the way in which they act. Creating a good story doesn’t (generally) require making new kinds of Legos. It just requires using the ones you already have and need anyways.

I don’t know if you saw the Pixar movie Brave in theaters, but if so then you got to see the Pixar short “La Luna”. It was great. Phenomenal, even. It’s won a lot of awards. It was a very powerful tear-jerker. It was also 7 minutes long. It was not, by any margin, a “deep” plot. It was simply well-written. And 7 minutes. If they make audiences feel warm fuzzies in seven minutes, game developers can surely do it in four hours.