Why so many Numbers in Decriptions?

5 posts

Flag Post

Game descriptions very often tend to mostly consist of lines like…

“Pick one of X distinct character classes and cut your path through Y types of monsters with Z different weapons.”

“Build your armies from K different unit types to finish the L levels of the campaign for well over M hours of fun and infinitely more in N different multiplayer game modes.”

To me it seems to say “We admit this game has not enough differences from every other game of this genre to fill this space with text, so here we are bombarding you with impressive-sounding statistics.”
Since big companies that can actually do market research often prefer this kind of description, there are obviously reasons for it. What are they?

Flag Post

What’s wrong with impressive-sounding statistics?

Flag Post

Nothing. I just feel like most people don’t actually buy games because they have over 9000 items, but because they expect the gameplay to be fun. So maybe the short descriptions should focus more on why it’s fun. But that may just be me.

Flag Post

Certainly not anything new. Back in he cartridge and cassette days, a major selling point of adventure games was how many “rooms” they had. Despite many of them being identical or having nothing in them.

Flag Post

My guess is that having many options for customization and exploration may be a selling point. When told that a game has 22 character classes with 106 available weapons, 237 different spells, and 1,086 monsters to use them on, some gamers may drool over a chance to play it. That said, I don’t think that specific numbers are necessary to get players eager to play. A blurb that can promise an exciting experience may succeed just as well. Here’s a nice example from System Shock 2:

You awake from the cold chill of your cryo-tube to discover cybernetic implants grafted to your flesh and the crew of the starship Von Braun slaughtered. The infected roam the halls, their screams and moans beckoning you to join them as the rogue artificial intelligence known as SHODAN taunts and ridicules your feeble attempt to unravel the horrifying mystery of the derelict starship Von Braun.

Your Training Has Prepared You For This.

Not bad for a game that has only three classes.