Welcome, New Kongregate Players!

147 posts

Flag Post

Welcome to Spiral Knights!

Chat here for Spiral Knights may be a little sparse but that’s because you’ll find most of the community centered on the Official forums. Make sure to check over from time to time. All news will always appear there first. We also have a detailed wiki that has all information on monsters and armor just waiting to be read. Just remember, if you want to participate in the wiki or forums you will need to make a new account on the Spiral Knights page.

Players who find themselves with many questions to be answered should first check out these pages full of common answers for new knights. It will tell you some useful things, like how when one knight collects a Crowns, all knights in the party get those Crowns.
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/New_Player_Briefing
http://forums.spiralknights.com/en/node/10297

More important for some will be how Energy works in the game. This will tell you how Mist energy regenerates and the limitations of free accounts.
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Energy
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Energy_FAQ

Those having trouble getting the game running should head over to the Wiki’s Troubleshooting FAQs. These pages include information like the minimum game requirements and useful fixes for the unusual problems that some users may encounter. That last link will also
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Technical_issues_FAQ
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Performance_issues_FAQ

If, for some reason, you need to send an email to the Spiral Knights support team, you can use the following page. Please remember to include all relevant details in your emails. Including you knight’s name can be very helpful here. If the page appears blank please make sure that JavaScript is enabled in your browser and that a plug-in or security program is not blocking it.
https://www.spiralknights.com/support/#mail

This is linked on the page with the “Play Now” button, but it should always be re-enforced. Please be familiar with the Terms of Service. If you run afoul the rules ignorance of them will not be accepted as an excuse. Critically, when people find a glitch and they are not sure if it is against the ToS they should email support for a proper answer.
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Terms_of_Service

Remember that accounts created on the Kongregate page can only be used on the Kongregate page. If you have a Steam account or a Web account you should go to the correct place to launch the game.

Since Kongregate players are automatically logged in by the web page, navigating away or refreshing the page will result in the game closing or logging the player out.

Purchasing Crystal Energy in Kongrgate is done via the Kreds system. When a player clicks the Checkout button a new purchase interface will open back on the launch web page for completing the purchase. Those who do not have enough Kreds will be shown options for obtaining Kreds on their account. Once the transaction is complete return to the game and the Crystal Energy should appear in the meter.

If you encounter a bug in the game simply press F2 or type “/bug <bug>” into the in game chat to file it. Please remember that bugs are not responded to by the Game Masters.

Have fun exploring the Clockworks!

Flag Post

I just want to know: Is there a fullscreen option?

Flag Post

Use the zoom in your browser then F11 to fulscreen

Flag Post

go to the in-game options menu and click the ‘fullscreen’ box.

Flag Post
I think a clarification of how crystal and mist energy works is extremely important for anyone thinking of putting Kreds into this game, and really poorly explained everywhere. Most places talk about crystal and mist energy as though they were completely different--like crystal energy was a currency, and mist energy was a timer.

All the energy is interchangeable. You can adventure using your cash-energy, and you can craft using the free-regenerating mist energy. Also, this gives both monetary and time-regenerative values to everything. So a few things to keep in mind:

- At the starter pack purchase rate, each point of energy is worth about $0.0027.
- A full tank is 100 units of energy, and takes 22 hours to fully regenerate. That means:
-- A full tank is worth about $0.27
-- The game gives away, as regeneration, just over a penny an hour.
- It also follows that, since the starter pack has 7500 energy, it's worth 75 full tanks, which is 1650 hours (or just over 2 months) of constant regeneration.

When you look at it that way, you see two things: Time-wise, paying into it might very well seem more worth it, but on the other hand, it makes free play seem considerably less fair than it might initially seem. There's been considerable boasting about how everything in this game can be done either free or pay, but consider it in context:

- To do a single dungeon floor (10 energy) costs a free player over 2 hours of regeneration, or a paid player about 3 cents
- For a free player to craft a two-star item (50 energy) puts him out 11 hours of regeneration. This is time taken away from actual gameplay, and makes crafting more or less completely prohibitive at the levels where it isn't downright impossible
- Crystal energy can be bought by free players, but you have to consider the suit-energy cost of dungeon-running for the required crown-money. Before even considering it, run an average dungeon floor, take note of how many crowns you got during your run, and plug it into the following formula:

[Crowns collected] / 10 = Crowns per energy Point Spent

Take your result, and then look the crown price of each point of crystal energy. Keep in mind that, beyond access to special items that cost over 100, crystal energy is _the exact same_ as mist energy. They're _completely interchangeable_. How reasonable an option does buying crystal energy with crowns seem now?

Hopefully this will give some of you a better sense of context. None of the explanations of energy, either in-game or in the FAQ, are really terribly clear, and it's always better to have some reference as to what things are worth.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pantothenate:
I think a clarification of how crystal and mist energy works is extremely important for anyone thinking of putting Kreds into this game, and really poorly explained everywhere. Most places talk about crystal and mist energy as though they were completely different--like crystal energy was a currency, and mist energy was a timer.

All the energy is interchangeable. You can adventure using your cash-energy, and you can craft using the free-regenerating mist energy. Also, this gives both monetary and time-regenerative values to everything. So a few things to keep in mind:

- At the starter pack purchase rate, each point of energy is worth about $0.0027.
- A full tank is 100 units of energy, and takes 22 hours to fully regenerate. That means:
-- A full tank is worth about $0.27
-- The game gives away, as regeneration, just over a penny an hour.
- It also follows that, since the starter pack has 7500 energy, it's worth 75 full tanks, which is 1650 hours (or just over 2 months) of constant regeneration.

When you look at it that way, you see two things: Time-wise, paying into it might very well seem more worth it, but on the other hand, it makes free play seem considerably less fair than it might initially seem. There's been considerable boasting about how everything in this game can be done either free or pay, but consider it in context:

- To do a single dungeon floor (10 energy) costs a free player over 2 hours of regeneration, or a paid player about 3 cents
- For a free player to craft a two-star item (50 energy) puts him out 11 hours of regeneration. This is time taken away from actual gameplay, and makes crafting more or less completely prohibitive at the levels where it isn't downright impossible
- Crystal energy can be bought by free players, but you have to consider the suit-energy cost of dungeon-running for the required crown-money. Before even considering it, run an average dungeon floor, take note of how many crowns you got during your run, and plug it into the following formula:

[Crowns collected] / 10 = Crowns per energy Point Spent

Take your result, and then look the crown price of each point of crystal energy. Keep in mind that, beyond access to special items that cost over 100, crystal energy is _the exact same_ as mist energy. They're _completely interchangeable_. How reasonable an option does buying crystal energy with crowns seem now?

Hopefully this will give some of you a better sense of context. None of the explanations of energy, either in-game or in the FAQ, are really terribly clear, and it's always better to have some reference as to what things are worth.
I pretty much agree here.

Flag Post

whenever i fullscreen using the options menu, i just get kicked out and it closes, and it wont restart

Flag Post

Slipabatch,

Set the windowed resolution to what you want the fullscreen resolution to be. Then follow these steps to navigate to the Spiral Knights registry settings and only change the fullscreen value to true.

Flag Post

thank you so much sir, now i can actually see how much energy i have left .__. and my health….. …. thanks :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pantothenate:
- A full tank is worth about $0.27
-
The game gives away, as regeneration, just over a penny an hour.
- It also follows that, since the starter pack has 7500 energy, it’s worth 75 full tanks, which is 1650 hours (or just over 2 months) of constant regeneration.

When you look at it that way, you see two things: Time-wise, paying into it might very well seem more worth it, but on the other hand, it makes free play seem considerably less fair than it might initially seem. There’s been considerable boasting about how everything in this game can be done either free or pay, but consider it in context:

I could be completely wrong here but can’t you only but a “starter” pack once? Meaning you’d have to buy the other ones which if my calculations are right (which probably aren’t :S) using the smallest one 25/750*100=3.33 meaning a tanks worth $3.33?

Flag Post

You can only buy a starter pack once, but after you buy it, the option to buy 7500 energy for $20 takes its place.

Cost of energy per pack is:

750 – $0.333 / tank
1600 – $0.313 / tank
3500 – $0.286 / tank
7500 – $0.267 / tank
9500 – $0.263 / tank
20000 – $0.250 / tank

If you only intend to buy once, the starter pack itself also contains five mist tanks (100 energy each) as well as some other things. Ignoring the other things, it comes out to $0.250 / tank. Depending on how you value the other things, it could be as low as ~$0.22 / tank.

When assessing what this means, consider the following:

There is a dichotomy between free and paid play. In free play it is possible to get everything in the game, and the number of crowns you gain directly in dungeon runs is deceptive, because you also collect materials which you can sell or craft armor to sell. However, it WILL take much longer to do so in real life days.

You can basically buy everything the game has to offer on the auction house, as well, so someone wishing to buy several 20,000 energy packs and just sell off the energy for crowns to buy great equipment may do so.

There is a substantial amount of free gameplay available, upwards of an hour a day. If you’re looking for a free game you can play for a little while every day, then you can do so. Additionally, if you’re willing to buy a starter pack for $20, you get 80 days’ worth of extra gameplay, without an explicit day on which your “subscription ends,” such that you can use it as you will when you have the time and/or inclination.

However, if you’re looking for a game which you can play for long stretches of consecutive time, you will have to pay to do so, and in paying you will be given rather generous amounts of game content for your dollar.

Basically you should value the game based on the amount of gameplay time it gives you rather than some notion of competitiveness between all players.

If you don’t want to or can’t pay, then don’t feel like you’re “falling behind.” It’s really not a game of who has better stuff than everyone else, it’s about improving your own stuff over time (and player skill does play a large role as well). And if you are willing to pay, then do so in the context of the gameplay time you’re getting for your money.

Flag Post

HELP THE SCREEN IS TOO SMALL I CAN SEE THE X TO EXIT THE ADD HALP WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?

Flag Post

You need to press esc and then select quit, then you can exit the game

Flag Post

fishthekid,

If the in game menu for quitting is not visible you can always force quit by killing javaw.exe in the Task Manger. If using a Windows computer you can use the steps from here to set the game’s screen size to the minimum value. Please be aware that Spiral Knights requires a screen resolution of at least 1024×600.

Flag Post

DAME IT

Flag Post

Y dose this game takes about 30 mins of my life now cuz of LOADING!!!!!!!!!!

Flag Post

Hello. I am playing the game from Kongregate, but I do not want to buy 50$ creds to get the Battle Pack.
I just want to pay the 31$ that it is worth and that is it.
Is there anyway that I can buy the Battle Pack without having to pay double up? Or do I really have to create a whole new account just to do it? I know that I could just pay someone else to buy it for me – but then I do not get the special gear and the mist tanks.

Please help me.

Sincerely
André.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senac1:

Hello. I am playing the game from Kongregate, but I do not want to buy 50$ creds to get the Battle Pack.
I just want to pay the 31$ that it is worth and that is it.
Is there anyway that I can buy the Battle Pack without having to pay double up? Or do I really have to create a whole new account just to do it? I know that I could just pay someone else to buy it for me – but then I do not get the special gear and the mist tanks.

Please help me.

Sincerely
André.

Maybe use the steam version with your kong account credentials?

Flag Post

Maybe use the steam version with your kong account credentials?

But is it possible to log-in with my Kong accoung on steam? I think I’ve read somewhere that it is bound to Kongregate.

Thanks though.

Flag Post

You can purchase Kreds multiple times in smaller denominations. You don’t get as many bonus Kreds, but the $20 package gives a nice bonus. Bonus Kreds actually make things slightly cheaper to buy on Kongregate than the game itself, and if you end up with 25 or 50 Kreds left over you can buy one of the smaller energy packages with the extras.

After a patch, I discovered that my login username is kongregate:####### and I have no idea what my password is. So account transfer is probably out of the question unless the Spiral Knights developers add a way to do it.

Flag Post

Thanks for the answer exeCute. I just bought 500 kreds.. Lol

Flag Post

For some reason, this game is extremely laggy on this computer. (desktop) However, on my laptop, it runs smoothly. They are both running on the same internet, and the desktop is new. Does anyone know why this would be laggy for me? :/

Flag Post

one cause may be not having enough RAM, or to low of an FPS

Flag Post

Its just Java, deal with it.

Flag Post

i am trying to buy the elevator pass but it doesnt let me