All-round gun

24 posts

Flag Post

Right now I have an Faust, Avenger and Twisted snarble barb (with a weapon slot).
I now want a good all-round gun for when It’s better to use a gun.
Which shall I get?

Flag Post

For when it’s better to use a gun… When?

Polaris is good for general blasting things with elemental damage.
Callahan is good for sniping down wolvers and devilites with piercing.
Umbra Driver/Sentenza for shadow-weak units.

Valiance for normal damage, all purpose.

Flag Post

Well he has Faust, Avenger, and TSB, so he has elemental, shadow, and pierce damage.

Depends on what you are facing, the TSB will do fine against wolvers and devilites, though they dodge gunfire anyway so a sword is generally better.
Trojans also take extra damage from pierce but they don’t have huge openings for attacking (when soloing anyway), so you want to hit fast. A Blitz Needle charge will keep them stunned the whole attack so you can kill them with one hit, though an upgraded TSB can also accomplish this as trojans are big so they will get hit by many spikes.

Faust is good against gremlins and jelly enemies. For jelly the faust will be more than enough, however for gremlins you may want to invest in a Sentenza or Shadow alchemer line to deal with groups of bombers or hammer wielders in arenas as the Faust may be a bit slow for that.

Avenger is good against constructs and undead. You don’t really need a gun for undead, they tend to swarm and force close distance fighting anyway, so Avenger with the wide swipes is great for that.

Some constructs may be a problem though, groups of mecha knights or gun puppy arenas may be painful with Avenger, and you want to keep those stunned to decrease amount of bullets they shoot. For that a Polaris line gun works wonders, it has knockback which stops attacks, shocks them so they shoot less accurately, and deals extra damage. For the knights it also knocks them back, giving more breathing space.

Sorry for the Essay though.

Flag Post

Ok, thanks for your essay.
I think I`ll buy a pulsar.

Flag Post
Originally posted by YellowShadow:

Ok, thanks for your essay.
I think I`ll buy a pulsar.

polaris calahan are the best

Flag Post

Beware as Pulsar’s knockback tends to screw up teammates’ playing ability as enemies can get easily thrown around.

EDIT: I agree with Zarathustra. A little more on swords, don’t mind me:
Undead: Zombies are one of the easiest enemies in the game… seriously. Avenger works fine, elemental brandishes work fine. And obviously that hammer from expansion, too.
Kats however are seriously a pain sometimes. Incredible dodging (wait till you go to a T3 Dark City kat infested area), add to that a (rather far ranged) bite, and a spread of 3 bullets in T3, and they can be truly devastating. Shock however messes them up totally; Voltedge’s charge can inflict shock through the explosions which can be used to your advantage, or else Avenger’s wide slashes tend to be able to hit kats mid-flight.
Fiends: Devilites. Oh the horror… especially in T3. A toothpick, such as flourish or barbs however is insanely useful; simply use the first wide slash, shield cancel, or autotarget+full combo. Greavers (the bat things) are scary too- the mist the inflict affects you through blocks as well, by the way, so shielding afterwards will repeatedly make your shield get “hit”, therefore if you haven’t interrupted their attack beforehand, good luck. Otherwise use the wide slashes of the toothpicks; shield cancelling works too. Trojans are easy to deal with with toothpicks; when a trojan smashes, run to the back of them and unleash the charge of a barb/flourish. Take note that when using the flourish charge, it can be devastating to the trojan but you must (and SHOULD) have autoaim on (as this is the case with EVERY toothpick, except the first AoE slash)
Gremlins: are fast, so faust might have a bit of trouble if you time it wrongly. Add to that swarms of thwackers and a little bit of lag and shield breaking and you have the recipe for disaster. Since they are fast, Sentenza and/or Umbra driver can also hit them; Umbra’s ricochets and Sentenza’s fast bullets. Otherwise an Acheron is recommended- its a calibur style sword (3 slash), and its charge provides a powerful 180 degree slash followed by a wave of 5 shadow explosions with good knockback, making it a better choice against gremlins.
Jellies: can be evil with faust. Since Faust tends to knock the jellies back on the first hit, the tricky part comes in now- you try to hit them with the second combo but usually end up missing, often with the jelly flying in afterwards to scratch you in the face with their thorns. Try to wait a beat until the jelly flies in, then unleash the second hit and they’ve just hung themselves. Acheron’s charge remains ever useful on them; the knockback it provides and the explosions tend to hit multiple jellies at once too.
Constructs: can be evil. Sometimes Avenger just isn’t fast enough against puppies or mech knights. Other times, it’s charge make mech knights shield and in the end the sword bullet gets wasted. Best tip is to just use charge slashes rather than the projectile on mech knights, and the sword bullet can be used to hit gun puppies instead. Otherwise retrodes and scuttlebots remain easy threats.
Beasts: Wolvers can be dealt with easily with a toothpick. As for chromalisks… Well they are just so easy, you can kill them with avenger and not get hit.
(sorry for wall of text)

Flag Post

well i didn`t read all of ur talk but if u think that zombies are so easy to get killed then u r a nub beacuse they made an update on the zombies attack and they are tough now

Flag Post

Crimson, please don’t start attacking again..

But regardless, I have noticed that the jump attack has a wider hit area, though the breath and swipes are pretty much the same.
But zombies ARE the easiest enemies in the game in general, they only really become a problem when in large groups, unlike others that can be dangerous even when there are only 1-5 of them.

Flag Post

well i didn`t read all of ur talk but if u think that zombies are so easy to get killed then u r a nub beacuse they made an update on the zombies attack and they are tough now

Erm, Crimson, first:
I don’t want to let this end up like the piercing sword topic.
So please go away or don’t attack everyone.
And second:
This is about me wanting a good all-round gun, not about zombie strenght…

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

@YellowShadow
there is no need for u to have a gun which covers ur weaknesses because i searched the wiki for ur swords’ weaknesses and found that each of ur swords’ cover each others’ weaknesses so now u just need a gun to strengthen ur arsenal i would suggest the Polaris line because i am also a Polaris line user{i got the GW pulsar} or u can also get an argent peacemaker ur choice though. u might want to see, personally, that from which type of monsters u get beaten the most and find them the hardest. for e.g. u get beaten up by construct knights and ur avenger is too slow, so u either get an argent peacemaker or a polaris. the links for ur sword and the two guns i suggested are:
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Faust
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Avenger
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Twisted_Snarble_Barb
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Polaris
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Argent_Peacemaker

Flag Post

plus the polaris gives a nockback but u could also get that other one that nocks back with normal damage forgot the name tho, heavy pulsar or summert

Flag Post

What is the best weapon?

Flag Post

any normal gun wot you like, valiance, prismatech alch, supernova

Flag Post
Originally posted by swaggith:

What is the best weapon?

The best weapon is your mind. And skill. No joke. Any player can buy a good sword or a gun, but if you don’t have any skill, then you really can’t do much on that, eh?

As of right now, my recommendations for all-round gunning is either with Polaris or Valiance.

Polaris can’t take out elemental-strong enemies, but against everything else it’s spectacular.
Valiance is on the weak side, as it’s normal damage. But you asked for all-round, and this gun’s the highest you can go in that respect.

Flag Post

Well UThief How about Polaris and Supernova. They are the2 best crowd control guns. But since Polaris is weak against Gremlins and Wolvers, I would say best gun would be Supernova. But again that is just opinion.

Flag Post

Any normal gun is a bad idea unless you’re in PvP or it’s something like a pepperbox that has an extremely specific purpose, since you don’t need to use a gun regularly as a hybrid and a full gunner should be getting typed damage regardless. I’d go with a polaris or elemental alchemer, but if you’re just looking for a simple general purpose gun to pull a few shots off with every now and again I’d go with AP due to it’s out-of-combat application. Also, polaris and supernova are both powerful but are frequently misused and thusly teams make their jobs much harder. And UThief is very right about the skill thing, though the wrong gear can really hold you back.

Flag Post

I’m a 5* gear player, and I find that the number 1 weapon for Fiends is polaris. They can not avoid all the explosions and their (failed)dodging prevents them from hurting you. The supernova is somewhat useful against gremlins for the same reason, but it is probably not worth it
IGN=Nickrome _

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure the asker already made up his mind about what gun to use, but for the new guys looking for a good gun, go for polaris, it is very effective and useful in many (if not all) situations. if you think my thought false, here are my reasons:

against the ff:
all of these may/may not have knockback , based on distance

constructs – boosted base dmg + shock also very effective on gun pups
fiends – normal base dmg +shock
(in this case, the shocked target will attack less often/have incomplete lunges)
if you hate howlitzers, just get to a certain distance, spam until it breaks, the flying head also breaks without coming close
beasts – decreased base dmg + shock , BUT , notice that when beasts are shocked,
they spasm regularly until the shock wears off, it turns them into sitting ducks
undead – boosted dmg + shock, they are greatly affected by this .
gremlins – decreased base dmg (if I recall right) + shock (I think they spasm too)
jellies – normal base dmg + shock , knockback is a good key aid here, just dont shoot quicksilvers with it :3

there may be ups and downs , but I think its average handling on monsters in the clockworks beat the supernova (I can tell since I got both shock and normal line), but if you wanna play safe, use the supernova , it kills slower than the polaris but it has a greater knockback rate(when a target is shocked by the polaris, the knockback is decreased). Polaris is good in Shadow Lairs too.

these are just ideas, if you have a better one, don’t let this thought obstruct you :3.

Flag Post

What is the best weapon?

there is no best weapon.

Flag Post

For snarbolax its blitz (u can do it with any other weapon cuz its soooo weak but if ur doing SL rabid snarbolax then blitz is best)

For JK: sentenza or Polaris

For RT: Polaris

For full vana: Polaris

For FSC: Polaris

For just vana: Blitz needle

Hope thats(^) not incorrect

Flag Post
Originally posted by syedumer:

For snarbolax its blitz (u can do it with any other weapon cuz its soooo weak but if ur doing SL rabid snarbolax then blitz is best)

For JK: sentenza or Polaris

For RT: Polaris

For full vana: Polaris

For FSC: Polaris

For just vana: Blitz needle

Hope thats(^) not incorrect

Blitz isn’t that good, shooting animation is very long and you can’t move, so I’d choose Blitz only for Vanaduke/Trojans or other big, slow monsters. For everything else than gremlins/beasts Polaris is really good, it’s safe to use for you but may be dangerous for your other members of your party. Oh and full vana and FSC is pretty much the same.
Snarbolax: Callahan
JK: Sentenza/Umbra Driver(may be even better, especially with some CTR)
RT: Polaris/Argent Peacemaker (much safer for your teammates)
FSC: Polaris(good for puppy room in D25 and destroying wheels)/Argent Peacemaker
Vanaduke: Blitz
Best all-around gun for swordmaster/bomber who will use only 1 gun is Valiance. But even if you’re not gunner I’d still make at least 3 guns, one for every damage type (excluding normal). Since there are no signs of higher tiers it’s good to make biggest arsenal possible to not close yourself in 1 type of weapon.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hell09:

What is the best weapon?

there is no best weapon.

unless you have mizxed the damage types up