These are all great ideas and suggestions from bmuell. I like the idea with second story map with live event-like restrictions. It would need to be very well thought out to be challenging enough.
IMO thing that needs change the most is live play. Current ranks (soldier/ninja/master/dragon) don’t enable fair competition and prevent people from playing live mode. The problem especially for dragon game is that someone who just achieved minimum requirement to play dragon is matched up with epic-heavy decks. It’s obvious that 4k strength deck has no chances against 9k deck. Also for players with 9k+ strength deck crushing easy opponents is not exactly what they expect from live play. Also someone could for example have a good ninja deck but weak master deck and would like to be compared with others who also just started on master level. My idea for live play would be quite big change and requires some work but I think it would take live play to a much higher level. When I enter live play I’d like to see a lobby similar to what can be seen in many simple multiplayer games (like triviador for example), where you can create live game rooms and chat with people. Chat room exclusively for live play would be very good I think, people could talk there to look for a right opponent. When you create game room other people could see your deck strength so they know if they have chance to compete. During events people could have option to choose to play event game or normal game. When creating live game room, there could be options like:
- game type: ranked, not ranked or event
- ranked game type: soldier, ninja, master or dragon game. Maybe some sub-ranks could be added as suggested previously.
- maybe option for ranked game to choose restrictions like no epic, max 1 epic, no level5 monsters, only lvl5 monsters, one color deck only..
- choose opponent deck strength (like 4000-7000). I think this option is the most important for live play to become more interesting for more players.
- options for not ranked and not event game like common only, no epic, yellow only and such
- maybe another ranking for 1 color only decks for each color (+generic maybe, dual color allowed), people could create game: ‘blue only deck’ and there would be ranking for blue decks, same for other colors. This option could be interesting when more expansions will be released
- maybe options to exclude cards with certain abilities from live play game, like no fear, no deathstrike, no crystal gain, no invincibility, no range, no doom. This maybe could be an interesting option for people with huge collection of cards. There could be created new interesting events based on this idea. New challenge for long time players to create good deck for example with no range and no shield ;)
- maybe even live battle between alliances could be possible. It would last 24 hours and people would be matched up according to deck strengths, alliance1 deck of highest strength would be matched up with highest strength deck from alliance2, second best alliance1 against second best alliance2 and so on. Also with option where leader chooses who will participate. There would be of course separate live ranking for alliances.
Things like 50 tickets per 24h, events, live ranking system, gold &xp rewards could stay the same as they are now. Note that better live play will encourage players to buy live play tickets.