Recent posts by mendelde on Kongregate

Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [Mafia] "RANDOMAFIA² and the Guy Temple Mayhem REDUX" host change thread - D2 (Hollenpanzer Turret Backfire) - DL: 5/4/2016, 8 PM, MST

Now that is weird, I was just getting my reasons together to vote you up.

There’s a definite [FoS: back900] because of a) giving adivice to mafia on D1, b) claiming a post restrictor role, which is a typical scum role (see TWJ), c) knowing who is not mafia while being roleblocked, which is something that mafia would know.

I would really like to know how someone could gather this much information while being sort of blocked. Since back900 says he cannot claim, maybe someone else wants to speculate? Talking to the dead would give him Lebossle’s result, but that’s only one. If he received an Amnesiac’s result (gravey was one, so there might be more), there would be no need to keep quiet about it. There’s nothing a randomness² that even comes close, unless I don’t remember (being an observer, I didn’t follow that one with too much intensity).

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [Mafia] "RANDOMAFIA² and the Guy Temple Mayhem REDUX" host change thread - D2 (Hollenpanzer Turret Backfire) - DL: 5/4/2016, 8 PM, MST

mod query: would the dream box have blocked a post restriction last night, or would the restriction have gone through and be disabled later?

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / Predictogram! [Starts Tomorrow!]

Originally posted by back900:

If you picture looks nothing like qwerty’s label then everyone will make a label similar to the picture and the correct label will stand out because it is different. This requires players to know you would be planning to use this strategy though.

If players know that strategy is being used, then some smart alecks are going to submit labels that are different to grab some easy points. Even considering that a player might use this strategy makes a WIFOM if someone submits a label like that: did the painter use this strategy? or is an imposter trying to cash in?

The rule we need is that nobody is allowed to talk about anything relating to their own submission after they have received their phrase.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [Mafia] "RANDOMAFIA² and the Guy Temple Mayhem REDUX" host change thread - D2 (Hollenpanzer Turret Backfire) - DL: 5/4/2016, 8 PM, MST

Oh my god! They killed thedude0 !


image source

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [CYOA] Infocom's Starcross [pre-game]

letter bundled with the game

This is the last pre-game update.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / Predictogram! [Starts Tomorrow!]

The trick is to make your picture so no one gets it when submitting their label, but when they see qwerty’s label, they all go “oooh! that’s obviously what it means!”. I’m not sure how to pull it off either, especially since it’s basically qwerty’s responsibility to come up with a unique label. If you get to draw “house”, well good luck at supplying an enigmatic drawing that nobody would think of labelling “house”. Instead of “rewarding” the puzzler who submits the duplicate label, you should probably be punishing them. (I put “rewarding” in quotation marks because those 30 points are all they’ll get for that round since obviously their submission is out of the running – well, and 10 points for correctly guessing qwerty’s label in round 3?)

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / Predictogram! [Starts Tomorrow!]

sign

Top strategy is to draw something totally different from what you are given, and then submit the best label for it. That means you get 10 points per person guessing your label instead of 5 points for people guessing qwerty’s label, and there’s no danger of incurring the 30 point penalty.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The General Thread

calm down: you are aggressively in the wrong but don’t know it yet, and certainly don’t want to get told about it

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / FGF Top Trumps 2015 Tournament (Sign-Ups OPEN)

You actually only need 8 players for your 15-card version, and 5 people already have kinda signed up for it, so maybe you could just run that after this one?

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [CYOA] Infocom's Starcross [pre-game]

M.C.S. STARCROSS 05-29-2186

Computer still not talking to me, beyond accepting routine ship commands. Even then it sounds particularly sullen. In the meantime, I’ve invented 11 new forms of five-suit solitaire . Unfortunately, I haven’t won any of them yet.

M.C.S. STARCROSS 05-30-2186

Another asteroid. This one is mostly uranium. Gives a big blip on the mass detector, it’s so heavy. Probably ought to mark it for removal. The Patrol will be pleased, even if the reward isn’t commensurate. I could try smuggling it to the Ganymedean Insurgents, but the penalty for being caught with unlicensed uranium is 20 years on an organ farm . I’d prefer to have my original kidneys until they wear out, thank you.

M.C.S. STARCROSS 06-11-2186

A micro-meteorite pierced the hull today! It was pretty exciting, but I fixed it like a pro. I had to put on my suit, get out the patch kit and patch the bulkhead. The hole was almost big enough to put my finger in! The patch looks like a big wad of chewing gum, but it gets really hard. Happy to report that after I repressurized, the computer started talking to me again. Mostly Insults, but better than nothing.

M.C.S. STARCROSS 06-23-2186

I found a black hole for real today!

Unfortunately, someone else’s transponder started up about two hours ago, and now he’s warning me off in no uncertain terms.

That does it. I’m going to try something really different. Too many prospectors around here. Nobody prospects in the inner system anymore, but I will, and my luck’s going to change!

In toward Mars!

from the log book bundled with the game

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

The strategy I outlined above would actually work as well if everyone self-investigates. I don’t know what the effects are on a double no-lynch game; it’s a bit more complex but I expect town can’t do better than 66%.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [Competition/Puzzle] Rat Maze: Game thread (Match 6 - Turn 16)

right and hold

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [Competition/Puzzle] Rat Maze: Game thread (Match 6 - Turn 16)

forward and hold

urFEAR can only go right and back unless he’s in a cul-de-sac

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / FGF Top Trumps 2015 Tournament (Sign-Ups OPEN)

More than 32, and there’ll be 6 rounds instead of 5.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [Competition/Puzzle] Rat Maze: Game thread (Match 6 - Turn 16)

forward and hold

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Originally posted by hamuka:
Originally posted by hamuka:

Anyway, this is a pretty damn cool framing attempt
IDK who scum is, but whoever they are, they deserve some applause
claps

This wording, in retrospect, would’ve gotten my ass lynched instantly in pretty much any game with more experienced players

i have to remember that, it sounds like something I might be likely to say (except that I wouldn’t say it about this “framing attempt”), and I had considered it fluff.

The way the strategy plays out is like this: everyone investigates the (same) player at the top of the 5 participants list; only that player self-investigates. On D2, two players report A and three players report B (A,B are guilty, innocent in some order). The A-players are cleared; if this cleared the player everyone investigated, that’s nice because now we have a baseline, if not, we simply lynch them. If the investigated player is an A-player, we still need to lynch a B-player who can be chosen by the A-players. If that doesn’t win the game for town, one of the two remaining B-players is scum, and none of the two can be trusted since they’ll both accuse the other one. So both A-players investigate the same B-player. One of the A-players will be NK’ed because otherwise scum would be identified with certainty. Now there are four ways this can go:

  • The surviving A-player is sane/insane, and the B-player they investigated shows as B. (1) That player is scum and needs to be lynched.
  • The surviving A-player is sane/insane, and the B-player they investigated shows as A. (2) That player is town, and the other B-player needs to be lynched.
  • The surviving A-player is naive/paranoid, so the B-player they investigated shows as A although they might be (3) scum or (4) town. Because of the previous case, we’re still going to lynch the other player, which has a 50% chance of hitting the scum.

So, assuming we figure out in advance whom we’re going to lynch, the chance that that player is scum is 1 in 5, since that is the chance we pick the scum to investigate, or that the scum would be first in line to be lynched if we cleared the investigated player [should be a smidgen higher]. So that’s 20% win chance for town, and in 80% of the cases we go to D2. I outlined the 4 equally likely scenarios for D2 (role of the A-player * targets scum/town), and only one of these results in a mislynch, so out of the 80%, 60% are a town win and 20% are a town loss. Makes total, 80% chance of town win, 20% chance of town loss.

[There are some ways with effort to kick the chances slightly higher, but it’s not really worth it.]

Killing djrockstar would have been a good move for nikeas or me if we had been scum, because killing TWJ would instantly have cleared djrockstar, who could not profit from that at all. That means either way would leave town with a cleared player, and since nobody would have investigated Jamie, killing djrockstar might have left someone with a useless investigation result, and provided a safe investigation claim for scum. So this didn’t actually point at anyone.

Nikeas killing himself was actually a pretty pro-town move because we might otherwise have been left with three suspects and much confusion; I dare say nikeas might well have gotten lynched for a town loss in that case.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Originally posted by hamuka:
Honestly I was dropping scumtells like crazy and the gambit I tried to pull off at the end was pretty damn risky so this was to be expected

What was the gambit at the end?

Also, what were the scumtells you think you dropped?
I thought your D1 behaviour was quite scummy, attacking my proposed course of action while not substituting your own, and the fishing for analysis results while lamenting that I publish them; the problem is that I have seen similar in other mafias from other players who then turned out to be town, so their value as scum tell is limited.

Maybe some observers wish to explain what they saw as scum tells in this game?

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Yeah, that would have made nikeas look very scummy. :-(

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / [CYOA] Infocom's Starcross [pre-game]

M.C.S. STARCROSS 04-15-2186

Possible black hole today! The mass detector went off. The alarm is really loud and practically sent me through the bulkhead. Even the computer complained about it, but you can’t turn it down.

Anyway, it looks like a big mass: at a good area, too near the trailing Trojan point of Jupiter . Hasn’t been prospected out yet, and there’s always something new there thanks to Jupe’s big mass.

Off we go!

M.C.S. STARCROSS 04-16-2186

Turns out it was just a nickel-iron asteroid . It was pretty big one, but with Asian Steel mining at full capacity, there’s no room for the little guy. Their margin is tiny per ton, and they can bring back really big chunks.

In fact, when I got closer to the asteroid, I discovered it had an Asian Steel transponder on it already. The computer said it knew it was nickel-iron all along, but I think it’s just putting on airs.

M.C.S. STARCROSS 05-12-2186

Another false alarm. This one was nickel-iron, too.

M.C.S. STARCROSS 05-23-2186

Finally beat the computer at chess! A really neat combination, too. What a poor sport! It says I cheated and won’t talk to me anymore.

from the log book bundled with the game

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Hamuka got caught out by geography and the deadline. From FGF general:

Originally posted by hamuka:

So I’ve just arrived in Romania
Sadly I’m stuck using my phone until tomorrow (so no meaningful contribution to games ’till then)

GG all.

Adv0catus, what did nikeas do last night? I assume the roles are what I posted.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Hammer time. Town win ftw!

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Originally posted by hamuka:

Sad because it fucks over our chances

Chance was to be 50%, is 50% now. It didn’t get any worse. (Provided TWJ votes in time, if not, town is busted.)

 
Flag Post

Topic: Crusaders of the Lost Idols / Jeweled Chest price increase.

Originally posted by adv0catus:

The price of jeweled chests has increased from approximately $1.50 each to $1.67 each. $3.99 for 2 is now $4.99 for 3.

$3.99 for 2 = $1.995 each
$4.99 for 3 = $1.667 each
That’s a decrease, which number is wrong?

 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

Originally posted by adv0catus:


2. You may not discuss:

  • outside the game thread with anyone except the host;
  • in the game thread during the Night phase.



Originally posted by adv0catus:

There’s still all of tonight and tomorrow morning to discuss.


We mustn’t discuss at night. (There’s no point to it anyway, but I just thought I’d point that out.)
These are the last few hours we have.
 
Flag Post

Topic: Forum Games: Forum Games / The Dethy Thread [Intermission]

(ninja’d)
Advocatus, today can’t be a no-lynch day. Did you miss the part where I said we’re at LyLo?

Hamuka kills one of us tonight, it’s two players tomorrow and he has won. There is no tomorrow morning because by then the game has ended.