Topic: Kongregate Multiplayer Games /
[8BitMMO (Construction Sandbox)] Here's some feedback, RobbyZ.
I have to agree with most of Solsund’s points. These points may include repeats of what he said, but here are my issues:
-At this point, you have to walk an obnoxiously long time to be able to place blocks
-Notifications, such as “You’ve gained one coin” or “PvP is enabled”, as well as the entirety of signs’ and NPCs’ messages, show up in the chat box. This clogs it up, not allowing me to see actual chatting.
-There is no way to set a home point. I was almost laughing when I realized that you didn’t include this. Why should I have to venture out so far to build if I’m never going to be able to find the place again?
-Certain items, such as the door that can only be opened by the one who places it, require real-world money to obtain. I’m all for giving gold out for money, but if you restrict what I have to work with in the game unless I pay you, especially after you claim that it’s free, it really doesn’t sit well with me.
-Lawyercats, the only enemies you can fight outside the tutorial, seem to be floating int he air. When you approach them, they pause and lower down to ground level. This means they warp several spaces downward, away from where I would be aiming.
-The lag in the game causes me to be hurt several seconds after I get hit. This results in me running away thinking I’m safe, followed by the cat doing its attack animation and me warping to the origin. It’s impossible to tell if you’ve been hurt until several seconds after it actually happens.
-Picking up gold coins does not always work. At best I’ll have to walk over them several times, at worst I’ll have to abandon them because they won’t pick up.
-The explanation of the z-axis is, frankly, terrible. I was told to hold shift and click for something different to happen, but nothing is different. I may just not be doing it right, but the explanation wasn’t helpful. In order to put a roof on my house, I had to lay down concrete blocks, lay roof tiles on top of those, and remove the concrete blocks from under them.
-It is very hard to place blocks accurately.
-The GUI is not very good at all:
1) The names of the other players are very hard to read.
2) The menu system is terrible; the menus are much too big, and in order to select a block form the inventory/shop I have to switch over to the mouse. This, coupled with the fact that block placement is hardly accurate in the least, breaks the flow of the game very severely.
3) As mentioned, the game’s notifications are thrown into the chat box.
4) The same button is used to operate signs and warp pads. This creates awkward situations where a warp pad is adjacent to a sign, and I’m never sure which will trigger.
5) When scrolling up an reading through the chat logs, the entire chat box scrolls down whenever a new message is chatted. This happens very rapidly, making it very hard, if not impossible, to read previous messages.
6) Other players’ movement is very jumpy. If this game is going to feature PvP, this must be fixed.
7) On the log-in screen, the option “I’m feeling slanted” is perplexing. It appears to just slant that single screen to the right. It doesn’t change the game itself at all, so…am I missing something, or is it really that pointless?
-Every so often, the game will freeze up and stop responding. The only way to tell if the issue has stopped is to either mash the space bar to see if it works or keep an eye on the chat box.
This game has potential, but right now it has some serious improvement to make.