Recent posts by kaboomba on Kongregate

Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Why items might not be selling on World Trade.

Reality doesn’t convince people. It’s cold, hard, and unwelcoming. Facts never convince lemmings. Even a thousand unsold war drums will never convince people. Preconceptions are greater than truth.

As elbonians joked, just telling them something straight will only convince them they have a bargaining position, therefore they Can extract 30% from you. Or even more!

They drink piss readily, but give them pure spring water, and they glance about themselves suspiciously, how strange it tastes, how cold, how peculiar.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Town recruitment thread

286k city recruiting, maxed on pre-patch upgrades, patch upgrades all ongoing.

pm me with pertinent info attached. players should know what is relevant.

incomplete applications will not be considered except in case of exceptional circumstances. preferably made explicit in order to expedite matters.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Balance Changes; new customers and buildings

So, is this supposed to be a petition, a discussion, or a circlejerk?

You title it as a discussion, act like its a petition, and hold everyone to circle-jerk standards of discourse.

Simply because I take responsibility for what could be considered a minor transgression given a certain interpretation, doesn’t mean I’m going to be your doormat.

Lo, another drastic misjudgement.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Balance Changes; new customers and buildings

You can justify and rationalize just about everything with any rationale by taking it to its logical extreme. When in reality it is just a matter of degree. One could compare and see that your 2 flaws differ drastically in terms of impact, and type of impact.

Sometimes when I put stuff like ‘its my opinion’, people like to think that is because I am completely uncertain, or have not considered the obvious. That would be a drastic misjudgement.

In regards to your ‘customer experience levels being game content’ paragraph – I did mention that:

> Perhaps the point is to promote golden medallion spending while maintaining a largely illusory possibility for players to level up their heroes? Or to ensure that even large spenders can’t just power through with keys and hourglasses and then leave the game thinking that content is exhausted? I think there must be many better ways to do this, though admittedly I can’t list any right now.

It is not quite the same thing as your objection though. You should reconsider the premises of your objection.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Balance Changes; new customers and buildings

U’re right, it is fair to say that normalizing the prices Does seem to be an incredibly simple task.

With that said, I’m not sure if you understand my point completely however, about how pricing can be treated as a gameplay function. Let me try to expand on that.

Hmm. I think the easiest way is to explain my position here is an analogy. Bear with me. Consider the sport of football. And the famous practice of football diving. Considering the vast sums involved, it would be, relatively speaking, the easiest thing ever to install instant replay technology, take out the referee and put him in a box with a hundred cameras. It would certainly be more fair.

So, why is this practice allowed to continue? If you take out all the bullshit floating around thrown out by football associations as justifications and the like – it becomes apparent. Refereeing isn’t about the game at all. It has nothing to do with fairness. What it is about: Creating topics for conversation. Giving scapegoats. Letting fans bond over different calls. Creating topics of interest, common subjects, common areas for commiseration.

Sure, normalizing prices would improve gameplay. It would seem more logical, perhaps fairer. But in my opinion, it isn’t about that at all. So many different microtransaction based games employ similar problematic pricing schemes, that I think it is partly about creating gameplay. I think it is about creating content, creating obvious areas for players to think about, discuss, and individually optimize. And best of all, it can be done through the option of not expending any effort to fix sloppily constructed pricing schemes!

After all that. In the end, this is just my opinion. And this does seem to be quite a derailment of the thread. I apologise.

I still fully support your ideas about the experience mechanic being flawed and in need of an overhaul. I think this is a very large issue that deserves maximum attention.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Balance Changes; new customers and buildings

Yes, hammer pricing should be normalized in an ideal world. However, Im not sure that logical pricing is necessarily a priority developer objective.

Note that pricing in itself can be treated as a gameplay function for players.

That said, I don’t believe that such large disparities in value are necessarily a result of conscious design, but rather a result from developer internal time optimization. The result is not considered a problem, or rather, considered a relatively small problem because players optimizing around it, can in itself be treated as a gameplay function.

I think a lot of the end game building upgrades are attainable right now though. Legitte having such a huge headstart in population is more a function of hourglass spending than anything else.

Regarding the customer experience curve – I largely agree. I can’t see the huge time investment required as anything but demoralizing. Yes, the point is probably to extend gameplay over a long period of time. But doing it in such a drastic fashion seems to be more demoralizing than anything else.

Perhaps the point is to promote golden medallion spending while maintaining a largely illusory possibility for players to level up their heroes? Or to ensure that even large spenders can’t just power through with keys and hourglasses and then leave the game thinking that content is exhausted? I think there must be many better ways to do this, though admittedly I can’t list any right now.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Town recruitment thread

275k city recruiting, maxed on pre-patch upgrades, patch upgrades all ongoing.

pm me with pertinent info attached. players should know what is relevant.

incomplete applications will not be considered except in case of exceptional circumstances. preferably made explicit in order to expedite matters.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Show off your shop!

fleece, those grand banners are fucking creepy. that configuration is meant to motivate your crafters to work faster isn’t it.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Show off your shop!

I’ve never really got why so many high level players deliberately choose to deoptimize their shops. It’s to the point it seems more of a follow the leader kind of thing.

Or it could be that most high level players spend so much time anyway that optimization just isn’t important. Or that the type of people who optimize their time aren’t the same people who play snp2. Another possibility would be that many high level players dont bother crafting but instead buy from the auction.

The truth is probably some combination of all these reasons.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Swords & Potions 2 / Bug Reports and Issues

Hi, many of my items which were placed on trade before the patch, should have expired and returned to my inventory. As they were on 900%, I should have been awarded a fairly substantial cash infusion (in the area of 6mil+) if they were sold. This would have been noticeable, and was not the case.

The classic refreshing and/or clearing cache solution has also been tried.

Looking from the edgebee forums and the bug report thread here, it appears that my auction bug is hardly unique. In addition, the go-to ‘server lag’ explanation does not seem to be applicable to this situation.

Please look into this. Thank you!

Possibly pertinent info:
1. User name in game is kaboomba
2. Suffered from the 30-40 customers bug. This appears to have stopped.
3. Left and rejoined city in the space of time between putting up the items, and the patch.
4. Some items which were placed on auction before the patch did return to inventory when expired. Others did not however.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Heroes of the Realm / Archer AI settings not working

> The problem is, kaboomba, that none of your ‘explanations’ adequately explain charger or archer behaviour.

fair enough. there was no intention to fully explain however, which you should well know.

> The exception being ‘deliberately (left – this word is important) poorly coded’ – although that’s a bad way of wording it, but I assume you actually mean ‘intentionally coded to select what we consider to be non-optimal targets’.

no. i did not word it badly. it was worded in that fashion because it was meant that way. i consider it far more probable that the pathing was simply done hastily and sloppily, and left untouched for reasons of expediency. the difference here is that you postulate intent. i postulate adjustment after the fact to accommodate sub-optimal programming.

> I actually think it may well be that (and at no point suggested there were any bugs/no system myself – in fact only the OP suggests this so I don’t know why you just lambasted everyone for repeating this assertion).

fair enough.

> However I think the charger coding, deliberate or not, leads to far too much (seemingly) random behaviour to be good for the strategy element of the game. The archer coding I find less problematic, as I don’t recall ever seeing them just refuse to shoot. Chargers very often don’t attack at all even when a target is available, never mind failing to charge the available caster/ranger in favour of a defender etc.

i think charger behavior is predictable up to a point, although i decline to elaborate because im lazy. second, i dont agree that emphasis on the strategic element is at all a developer priority. on the contrary, increasing the perception of chance can be a tactic to encourage spending. one of the ways developers do this is by consistently leaving out important information or introducing/maintaining unknowns and even (to quote karl rove) unknown unknowns.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Heroes of the Realm / Archer AI settings not working

the observations simply don’t add up to a ‘there is no system’ conclusion. repeating it ad nauseum does not make it so.

there are many possible ways to interpret.

for instance, one interpretation could be that the AI settings do not consist of weightage given to different behaviors (attacking effective, low hp, nearest), but could be simply a 100 die roll as to 3 alternative paths.

another could be that the pathing algorithm does not reflect the actual situation on the board at that particular moment, but is decided before an individual round starts. (im hypothesizing each ‘round’ as when every unit on the board has completed 1 turn) there are also possible interpretations as to their error resolution algorithm in interaction to the targeting after faulty pathing.

other interpretations could be about the targeting algorithm and how it does not accommodate the entry of multiple values to determine effectiveness (charger), and/or range values being inputted incorrectly.

yet other interpretations could be as regards to unit / stat / game balance, as movement of units like chargers and mages (not only included) are deliberately left poorly coded due to the functional value created, balancing the strengths and weaknesses of different units and perhaps mitigating the disadvantage of melee units. you could even interpret this as a ‘fog of war’ feature if you were feeling generous.

there are many possible interpretations. ‘THERE IS NO SYSTEM’ is not one of them. units’ pathing and targeting behavior is internally consistent and completely predictable. the game clearly does not make the best tactical moves, (for example the move before attacking behavior) but this does not mean it is the product of bug(s).

 
Flag Post

Topic: Heroes of the Realm / Archer AI settings not working

you can place units behind your archers, trapping them so they’re forced to move forward.

also, for people complaining that the AI doesn’t work – just because something does not work the way you think it should, does not mean it is a bug.

complaining that something is poorly programmed is one thing, saying that it is a bug is something different altogether.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / The game is still annoyingly slow, the barbie/hentai art is still horrible, but about "pay2win"...

theres a big difference between pointing something out, and whining uncontrollably like a baby, assigning blame indiscriminately, or getting all butthurt.

from your text, it seems that you were in the whiner camp, and have now converted to the ‘payment makes no difference at all’ camp. thats on you.

i think its problematic that you don’t seem to be able to see any position other than these two extremes.

as for your question, entropic touch triggers based on effects on the ENEMY units. for instance weaken, ember, frost, etc. or if the enemy casts armor on his unit. you get the picture.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / How to quit during battle completely?

its to stop you from backstabbing or otherwise sabotaging your team mates. if you dont like them, play well and get out faster!

good feature.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / [REVIEW] Good CCG but too slow and too much pay-to-win

Or face it like a woman :p

Remember your audience tho sieradzanin, these are denizens of the tyrant forums, fond of denying even the nose on your face. Well, I can’t know that you have a nose, but I hope you do.

What you said about vel’assar and counter decks is pretty much the exact truth. The far greater card pool, and ‘excessively balanced cards’ accessible to paying players expedites both the creation of different deck strategies and counter strategies, and their execution by a great deal. Further, the returns to spending in this game don’t diminish significantly.

Tyrant has some element of this, as do many online games, but K2L carries this concept to another level by actively rewarding payment.

Some of seizan’s points, such as the equalizer tournaments, and the advantages of cooperative and considered play, are valid of course. But of course, being seizan, (no seriously, check his history, i dont have to cuz i’ve played several of the same games he has) he uses these to knock down a heavily caricatured strawman of the opposing position, in as offensive fashion as he can manage.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / [REVIEW] Good CCG but too slow and too much pay-to-win

Yeah, well that completely changes the basis for disagreement doesn’t it.

The premises and boundaries for your argument are now hugely in conflict with other commentors.

Proposition has the definitional advantage. If you want to dispute the def, you should mention that straight off. The fact that you don’t is in itself suggestive. (its kinda hard to miss)

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / [REVIEW] Good CCG but too slow and too much pay-to-win

That is because your rating cannot decrease once a fight brings it below 800.

This is just a matter of metrics. You might as well say the player starts at -800 points, and gets to 0 after a period of time.

No, it is not, because you can do jack squat with gold unless you buy VIP levels. And yeah, im sure the market for cards on the auction is liquid.

Shrug, you can hypothesize that the situation will improve. Perhaps it might even improve. But even if it does the VIP mechanic and access to different features and many different advantageous options for usage of gold with VIP ensures a gulf in the power differential. It is quite clearly materially different from tyrant.

But then again, perhaps you are simply trolling. God knows the tyrant forums constitute a great training ground.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / Just got banned from buying Kreds

I urge you to contact some of the kongregate mods as well.

They tend to be friendly and respond in frankly what is an absurdly short period of time. In-game forums are run only by what is, in practice, volunteer mods, and game staff from the game itself (who may or may not even visit). A forum you may want to post this in might be:
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/7-technical-support

I might hypothesize that there was some financial impropriety or perhaps some sort of hacking attempt on your payment mechanism. These things are not uncommon nowadays as you well know.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / Free players are weak

For those mentioning Tyrant, not to say your concerns are wholly unjustified, but games like it are substantially different in orientation from these Chinese MMOs.

Both have elements of pay to win, but Tyrant (quite clearly) is far more oriented towards the average customer experience. Other MMOs which would fall into the same category would be things like Clash of the Dragons, The Last Stand: Dead Zone, etc. Things have been shifting of course, but there is a gulf in the degree of free player orientation. Contrast those games to how this game caters to ‘whales’ by rewarding higher spenders disproportionately, or virtually locking free players out of broad swathes of content.

Some pedants will like to lock on the fact that I have to use the word ‘virtually’ for many of these concerns, but consider – is that a fair critique? Is the fact that it is not completely impossible to compete not a purposeful bait to blunt black and white labelling? In reality, double standards in the degree of difficulty and a drastic difference in effort required is enough for criticism and the game being called out.

Regarding the controversy regarding specific cards, while it isn’t wholly unreasonable that some free cards can soft counter extremely good paying player cards, the likelihood is so much lower, and difficulty so substantially higher to the point of absurdity. The balance considerations are markedly different in Western card games.

Its to the point I would venture that in games like this the free player is only around to provide a pool of players for ‘whales’ to feel superior to. Other MMOs which would fall into this category would be things like WarTune etc.

This is not to say that gamefuse’s game development objectives are evil. Simply that each gamer’s individual expectations should be tailored to the context – which is in this case an Eastern mmo with heavy pay-to-win focus.

That said, while I play this game, I know what Im getting into. You should too, thats all.

Another thing, capkloud and ngl’s posts do describe their typical modus operandi.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Rise of Mythos / Free players are weak

You guys just don’t get it. How long, and how many times will you get taken for a ride before you realize what u’re getting into?

Chinese developers like gamefuse are far from stupid.

They Know all this about player populations and declining revenue and such.

Its all calculated into their business model. Make enough cash until people get fed up and leave, although some of the players with the highest sunk costs will stay an extraordinary amount of time.

The problem is, they don’t care, because they just make More similar mmos which cannibalize huge amounts of coding / design from previous mmo incarnations, and repeat the cycle. Their revenue > game development costs, so they’ll just keep doing it over and over again.

Its a fundamentally different ‘china’ model of revenue generation, where they focus on fleecing the ‘whales’ of huge amounts of cash, rather than getting a huge player base that pays a little bit each.

 

Topic: Game of Thrones Ascent: General (Westeros Discussion) / Wow...just wow.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post

Topic: Game of Thrones Ascent: General (Westeros Discussion) / the random factor.

chance of winning is just

1. your total battle stat / (your battle stat + enemy battle stat) x 100%
2. the game then rolls a 100 sided die to determine whether you win or lose.

by battle stat, i mean the specific battle/intrigue/trade statistic that you have on the pre-combat screen. im not going to delve into the percentage bonuses from equipment and talents and how the pre-combat stat is determined from all these, because it is long and filled with complications and bugs. the current state of knowledge indicates that arbitrary factors like the presence of siege works or number of friends does not factor into these calculations however.

there is also a base approx 5% chance of losing, so even if have 500 of the specific battle stat versus 0 of the enemy, you still ahve a chance to lose. the use of this system is likely to tie into the ‘realism’ aspect that people tend to think is a big draw in the game of thrones franchise.

most of the discrepancy in win/loss expectations, is because most players tend to, either a) not understand the system, or b) think that a big difference should mean a close to 100% win rate on either side. and c) because people tend to misunderstand statistics (omg 90% win chance means i should win every time!)

as for this formula, i read it on the disruptorbeam forums from some guy who did a statistical analysis. i’d say its fairly reliable, it looked legit with number of trials etc. you can probably find the post in question if you look hard enough, and correct any discrepancies from my memory.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Game of Thrones Ascent: General (Westeros Discussion) / Higher tier resources

drop rate is as rare as the equipment in vol 1.

yes, much rarer than common resources.

 
Flag Post

Topic: Game of Thrones Ascent: General (Westeros Discussion) / Real money for everything ?

Is there a reason for such hyperbolic language and ideas?