Topic: Kongregate /
Spring '16 suggestion thread
Misc other suggestions
1. Add Steam ID as a profile category
That's reasonable. I'll add it to the list.
2. Display problem for avatars with transparent backgrounds
Hm, technically a bug rather than a suggestion. I passed this along to the design team.
3. Clickable links in chat
We only have Kongregate.com links clickable; we want to minimize the incentive for people who spam referral links. (Heaven knows we already have enough trouble with that.)
4. Add "clear chatbox" button (to keep track of what is read)
Interesting! I'm not convinced that this would be widely used, but I'm open to hearing from other people who would really love it.
5. Fix bug for "away" settings in guild chat
Yes, this is a known bug. :-/ Sorry it hasn't been fixed!
6. Add an "announcement" bar in guild chat (editable by anyone)
We have had something like this on our "nice to have but not urgent" list for a long time now. Don't know if it will ever happen, but I agree it would be cool!
7. Show developed games in chat profile
I have not heard any rumblings about revamping chat profiles, but when we do this would be something to consider.
8. Notifications for comment upvoted and activity feed responses
I'm pretty hesitant about this idea. While some people would really enjoy it, others would find it spammy. I do think it has some merit, though.
9. Solution for chat whispers that arrive while changing rooms
I'll pass it along.
10. Reputation system: mod/admin reward for positive contributions
Well, this would be a major change. :-O I do love the idea of mods being able to affirm folks who contribute in positive ways. I worry about people bugging mods for it, though. Hmmmm.
11. Improve mobile profiles
12. Allow multiple responses to a single game comment
13. Change handling of removed games and ad revenue
14. Notepad tab next to the game window
Interesting! I would definitely use that with some games. There's an awful lot of stuff packed into that section of real estate, but it would be nice to have if we can find room.
15. Display badge criteria on one's earned badges page
In a mouseover or something, maybe? That would be pretty handy.
16. More new badges
To some extent, the new badges are limited by the flow of high-quality games that have implemented our statistics API. Kong is doing things to try to stimulate development of quality games (eg our Launchpad and Launchpad X programs), because the site will always be more fun when we have a steady flow of quality games. But I do hear your point. :-S
17. Contests / competitions between chat rooms
Sounds like fun! I'll suggest it to the group that plans community events.
18. System for flagging suspicious high scores
I'm a little leery of this, because I'm guessing that the community team would end up with an enormous flood of reports and be unable to keep up. :-( I do understand why it's appealing, though.
19. Ability to spotlight one (or seven) particular achievement(s) on one's profile
I like it!
20. Add a search option to the friends list (and the fans list) Rimala
Good idea! I'll pass that along.
21. Game maker
I have always been a huge fan of these sorts of things. Once upon a time, we had a series of "Shootorials" where beginners could learn a bit about making games. It's labor-intensive, but I'll continue to encourage this idea.
22. Add warning / confirmation popup when leaving a game or unfinished forum post
I have no idea how difficult that would be to add (particularly the "unfinished forum post" part) but there have definitely been times this feature would have helped me out.
23. Quest made up of point-and-click games
I'd like that too, actually. Greg says he has historically avoided making quests that are all of the same genre, because he's afraid it would be tedious. :-S
24. Add the ability to upvote posts on /accounts/[username]/messages
Yep, that would make sense! Will add to my list.
25. Kongpanion suggestion: an alpaca named Augustine
Cute! I like it.
26. Cloud saves
We looked into this a few times in the past, and did quite a bit of work. What we found was that being an open platform introduced so many complexities that clear and seamless experience just wouldn’t be possible. But we encourage developers to use services like Playfab, which give a game cloud saves for free
27. Scroll bar on private messages (instead of "show more")
I'm a little confused by your description. When is the site freezing? How would a scroll bar help?
28. Make the "about me" display in a larger box
Are you talking about when you are creating or editing your own "About Me," or when viewing someone else's?
29. Allow longer chat messages
I worry about how this would affect spam. Spammers would be able to flood a chat even faster if they could copy-paste 1000 characters instead of 250.
30. Separate categories for profile awards
31. Bring back Halloween profile skin
It never went anywhere? Check my profile-- I'm using it right now.
32. Add a sports forum
The site functions best when we focus on games (and socializing around games). When we let our focus get too broad, the whole thing starts to seem a bit piecemeal.
33. Monthly Q&A sessions
Well, I think there's some value in this idea, but I think monthly would probably be too often. Our community events group tries to do something most months, but it's not always a Q&A (though it has been quite a while since we had a Kong Live event, hmmm). I'll pass this along to them.
34. Weekly quiz show with prizes
As with your other suggestion, it's a fun idea but there's just no way we could do something like that every week. Now, if a player (or group of them) wanted to start something like that... let us know.
35. Get BotD credit via mobile device that does not support Flash
That sounds like something that would not be possible from a technical standpoint, but I have zero real idea. I don't know how many people would make use of it, but I can pass it along.
36. Developer mass messages: "active" and "inactive" categories overlap
Thanks for the report; it's added to the list of bugs.
37. Awards should display number of times earned
38. Admin profiles display "thank an admin" instead of "thank a mod"
I absolutely appreciate the attention to detail, but I'd rather we spend engineering and QA resources on things that will benefit more people.
39. Make the homepage re-arrangeable / customizable
I don't think this will ever happen. :-/ Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Well, guilds are a game-specific feature. In order to be in a guild, you have to play a game that has our guilds API integrated, then join a guild via whatever in-game mechanic is set up.
41. Indicate on sidebar of /badges whether a quest is earned
42. Better surfacing of updates on game details tab
That could probably be improved, yep.
43. Ability to opt-out of game notifications from friends
15 notifications IS pretty annoying.
44. Ability to "tag" other players in a forum post
I share Holy2334's concern about the likely abuse of this feature. :-/ Sorry!
45. Increase maximum chat size
What is your ultimate goal here? To have more of chat visible at one time?
46. Rewards for longtime active users
This idea has a lot of potential.
47. Display cake chat icon on one's Kongday
I would love that. :-)
48. Update avatars faster
So, to be clear, if the player changes their avatar you don't see the new one? Is it actually a month, or do you just mean "a ridiculously long time"? If the latter, can you give me an estimate?
49. Better system for suggestions
Having just spent 2 1/2 work days sorting through all these and formatting the replies, I enthusiastically agree that this setup is, uh, not ideal.
50. Colon frustration
51. Comment flagging via a user's profile
So prolific, he gets his own section (this time).
1. Profile views counter
This feature would most likely only be used by a tiny handful of people, and seems ripe for exploitation. I doubt we'll add it.
2. Weekly challenge for the site as a whole
To some extent the Kongpanions are intended to fulfill this, but it's still an interesting idea. I doubt we'd do it every week, but it's something worth considering. I'll pass it along.
3. Suppress notifications for posting on one's own profile
I agree it's a bit silly, but I'm not convinced it's a significant detriment to user experience.
4. Give each game forum a "general thread"
Every forum that wants a "general thread" is welcome to have one simply by creating it themselves. I'm sure if we added something formal or across-the-board, some forums would want to opt out of it.
5. Dedicated K+ forum
It's something we have considered. Overall we have felt that there isn't enough content specific to K+ to support an entire forum for it. Tech support issues are better handled in that forum, where our QA staff is already active. Developer feedback about beta games already happens in game-specific chat and forums while the game is in beta.
6. Option to remove permabanned users from "fans" list
I'm not convinced this would add value for a huge number of players. If we were to address this at all, it would most likely be a universal thing, where any permabanned account would automatically have all its friends wiped.
7. "Developer's choice" comments section
That's a fun idea! I like it.
8. Show a symbol beside the person’s name when they’re in cinematic mode.
I have wanted something like this for a long time. It wouldn't have to be a separate symbol-- it could also just set one's status to "afk" automatically when one enters cinematic mode.
9. Dismissable in-chat notifications for new users
This would probably be harder than it sounds, but it could be really useful for explaining things to new folks.
10. Make "Join in [room name]" available to all users
My concern is that this would make it dramatically easier to stalk/harass other folks, so I would be opposed.
11. Live support chat
We don't have the staff to for a live support chat; Kongregate would have to be dramatically bigger before we'd attempt something along those lines.
12. Notification when chat whispers arrive
That's a reasonable idea; not high-priority, but I can add it to the wish list.
13. Gravatar (https://en.gravatar.com) support
I doubt we'd implement anything like that. We want to have full control over the content of avatars so that we can remove offensive ones quickly and easily.
14. Extend filtered words to usernames during account creation
The idea has been discussed. I don't actually believe it would do much good, and I'd rather use our engineering resources elsewhere.
15. Revamp game messages
Well, that's something that's worth considering. I'm guessing it will be re-done within the next 5 years or so, but I have no real way of predicting when.
16. Reveal big projects
17. Add a way to edit comments, shouts and whispers
The problem I foresee is that the other interactions (upvotes on the comment, responses to shouts or whispers) would become nonsensical or invalid if the content was substantially changed after the fact. If you post and immediately notice a typo, you can copy, delete, paste, edit and re-post.
18. New feature roll is too big
19. “Trending in your network” is a waste of space
20. "Browse Top Games" by Category sections is terrible
21. Game contests should be displayed more prominently
22. The thing at the top.... sticks out like a sore thumb
23. Disable the mouseovers
Those are like... your opinion, man. In seriousness, though, aesthetic decisions are made by the members of our design team, each of whom has a degree and years of experience guiding their choices. Those decisions are never going to be user-dictated.
24. "Hot New Games is way too big.... AlisonClaire said that real estate on the home page is really valuable. If it’s so valuable… use it!"
We are using it. We're using it to promote games that are hot and/or new (or which have a chunk of new content).
25. Friends API problems
What you're describing is a flaw in how individual developers are implementing the API. I'll pass this along to our browser-games team so they can pay attention to it. If you have examples of particular games that are having this problem, feel free to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Okay, I'm out of steam. Next time, please only post your top 10 suggestions. :-S